Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend asked me if I knew anyone wanting an old bronco, so of course I said I'd take a look at it. It's lifted 6 inches I think, has yellow lift springs, dual shocks in front and leaf springs in the rear, but no drop pitman arm. He didn't know if it was a 351m or 400, and I don't know how to tell either. It needs some work for sure, but does start and the motor sounds pretty good. It's a little rusty and crusty, but for 800 bucks, I think I did ok. Probably gonna pull and clean the gas tank and lines first. Then rebuild the carb (gas is pouring out of it everywhere) and the normal tune up stuff and see how she drives. Only got the ignition key with it, so hopefully ford can get me the door keys.

·
Registered
446 Posts
A complete '78 with any motor in it for 800 bucks is a deal. Congrats and enjoy!

Going resto with it or just a toy?

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,148 Posts
Congrats! Looks like a fun truck. :thumbup

As for 351m vs 400, the only real way to tell is to pull the pan & check the crank. The same external parts were used on both. Bubba's M-Block pages have a lot of info. The site takes some digging around, but here are a few of the good pages:

For missing keys I have good success taking vehicles to a local locksmith. By taking it to them it is usually cheaper. It's been awhile, but the last one cost around $20.

·
Bronco Snob
2,316 Posts
I think you did better than o.k...nice :thumbup

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
looks like a great start

in 78, they only had one key for everything

doors are probably different as they appear to have been changed

pull locks and bring to locksmith to have re keyed to match ignition

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks like a great start

in 78, they only had one key for everything

doors are probably different as they appear to have been changed

pull locks and bring to locksmith to have re keyed to match ignition
Ok thanks! I didn't know that. My 84 has seperate keys, and i figured this one did too. I'll try the ignition key for the hell of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts