Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever tried to fill your tank but it acts like its full? like it spits back at you and gurgles??

happened to me this weekend with my other adventures.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
My 83 step side did that. Had to pull the nozzel out a bout half way and use the slow to medium setting on the pump. I think it is a collapsed hosed. I believe there is a hose that runs inside the fuel take hose that may be collapsed and it is filling up the neck before it runs into the tank.

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill check that out it was just weird it spit and hissed at me like it was mad after it sat for about 5 minutes it was fine.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, there is a plastic hose inside the neoprene tank fill hose. I replaced my gas tank yesterday and discovered itwhen I took out the fill hose out. I think its an air return hose. As gas goes in the displaced air comes out. I THINK!!

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tiger did you go with a plastic or the standard tank I may be replacing mine because of the huge dent in the bottom.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I went with the metal tank. I thought about getting a plastic tank but I figured my old metal tank lasted 20 years!! so I should get another 20 out of this one. If I live that long!! LOL!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
By the way. I used a piece of 1 and a half foot long 1x12 board on top of the lifting plate on my floor jack to slowly raise the new tank into position. Worked GREAT!! 3 inch suspension lift helped too!!!!!! Plenty of room to work!!

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
tigertrack said:
Yes, there is a plastic hose inside the neoprene tank fill hose. I replaced my gas tank yesterday and discovered itwhen I took out the fill hose out. I think its an air return hose. As gas goes in the displaced air comes out. I THINK!!

i don't know where this hose is, or what it is made of, but, it is there. this guy has the theory down pat.

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
yes....i dropped my tank one time to change the fuel pump...only disconnected the filler house from the upper housing...got the filler hose jambed and ending up pinching the vent hose...causing it to spit back fuel

·
Call Me Ace
1,953 Posts
mine does that- i just take it slow and back the nozzle out a bit... not a big deal
ace

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you can take the pump handle out and it will spit like its carbonated like bad it spills all over the ground.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
1clean5.8 said:
anyone ever tried to fill your tank but it acts like its full? like it spits back at you and gurgles??

happened to me this weekend with my other adventures.
Yeah...remove the filler spout and cut the inner rubber hose off. That allows faster filling, and also allows you to top off the tank on the 3rd click of the pump.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Your post is timely for me. I have had the same problem the last three fill ups.

I have not been able to get a full tank the last two times because the pump keeps shutting off and spewing gas. Good Lord I hate the smell of gas on my hands for hours afterwards.

Thanks,

WJR

·
Registered
166 Posts
BTT, sorry to bring back an old post, but my Bronco is now doing this again.

For some reason, it was better for the last 9 months or so, but the last few fill ups it has been spewing gas back out.

Can anyone tell me what I need to check or do?

Thanks,

WJR

·
Registered
762 Posts
It's a complete pain in the ass if you don't lower your tank but it can be done with small chicken like forearms.

Disconnect the 3 screws inside the fuel door, take the gas cap off and push it down a bit. Climb under and cram your head up into the wheel well using the springs as a head rest and undo the hose clamp at the gas tank. Follwo the filler tube up and disconnect the last clamp securing it to a body mount.

Install the tank side first, be careful to slide the vent tube into its slot, then connect the rest.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts