Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry

ok i honed out and cross hatched the block (after buying the rebuild kit stock bore).
and when i went to use the bore gauge to check to make sure i did not tapper the cylinders to much, i had to add to the gauge. so i took a piston out from the kit and slid it into the cylinder, :cry ,:cry ,:cry ,:banghead ,:banghead ,:cry,:cry, :cry .... thats when i found out i got too far ahead of my self,, i have to much and i meen way too much side wall clearance. i can take one of my pistons for my 1979 block, (.060 over size) and slide into the cylinder and have about .003 side wall clearance, so basicaly what i am asking and thinking is this, if my engine was already bored out when i bought it, would that have helped (along with #24 injectors) with the melt down and burning holes in the piston? and if not then can i run a .060 over sive bore with a stock ecm? sorry if this is in wrong forum please feel free to move if need be:drinkbud

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
that is larger than i like to see run hard. that far over bored should not be a performance motor for a daily driver. you might look for a different block. do you stll have the old pistons? on top should be an overbore size. sleaving would cost too much...mike

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
First off 302 or 351?

Running .060 over could cause cooling problems. Take the block to a shop and they can test the thickness of the walls for you and tell you if there is enough meat left.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
.060 over is pushing it but alot of people do it and run that way for a long time with no problems. To answer your questions no, the overbore alone would not cause burning a hole in a piston and yes, you can run a .060 overbore with the stock ecm without any problems.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Shite, that sucks. This is why I pay someone to do all my machining.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
RLKBOB said:
.060 over is pushing it but alot of people do it and run that way for a long time with no problems. To answer your questions no, the overbore alone would not cause burning a hole in a piston and yes, you can run a .060 overbore with the stock ecm without any problems.
Maybe on a 351 but boring a 302 .060 over will cause cooling issues. Take the block to a machine shop. They will know what to do.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
FordBroncoLover said:
Maybe on a 351 but boring a 302 .060 over will cause cooling issues. Take the block to a machine shop. They will know what to do.
Thats what they make BIG radiators fer! :toothless

1 - 7 of 7 Posts