Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I had an idea while driving down the road today. I don't want to buy a hitch. I have material to make one but I'm thinking of going an easier route. What I was thinking is on my 90 the bottom of the bumper right where the ball is mounted, that piece is 1/4" plate and rounded a little. I want to cut out a little of it so it's flat and put a peice of tubing that will hold a 2" reciever and but it up to the bottom of the bumper and weld it all the way around that 1/4" plate. Then take some 1/4''x3" and gusset it and go over top it and drill holes for the safety chains. What I'm not sure of is if it'll be strong enough? I know you can pull from the bumper itself so why not do it from a hitch mounted to the bumper? What do yall think?

Sorry it's so big.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
It would work, but you wont end up with the rating of a hitch. It will be the same as if you were pulling from the ball on the bumper. If you need the rating of a hitch, get a hitch.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You can buy one of those hitchs your talking about building at autozone. The kind that bolt to the bumper. It won't be very strong.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I figured it wouln't be any way to make the bumper mounts stronger easily? What's the rating on the bumper itself?

I just need some kind of rear recovery because most times I get stuck I need to be pulled out from behind.

Anyone have any pictures of their hitches? I might just make one like you can buy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Check out http://haymanreese.com.au and click on products for some ideas and designs. These are a pretty standard type of hitch in Australia. If you use the same mounting holes as for your bumper you sould have plenty of strength, especially if you brace it further back down the chassis. You could use the brace as something to mount a plate on to protect the fuel tank too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you just need it for recovery, the thing you are talking about building should be fine. I have used the store bought kind (REESE brand) bolted to the bumper it worked fine. But it was an after market bumper(FEY).

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not bolting anything just welding it.
I just need it to pull people ou tand be pulled and maybe tow my 4wheeler about 5 miles to the hunting club.

Would it work?

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I'm not bolting anything just welding it.
I just need it to pull people ou tand be pulled and maybe tow my 4wheeler about 5 miles to the hunting club.

Would it work?
Depending on how much force you plan on exerting in order to pull people out, I would say your bumper as is, is good enough. I towed at least the weight of my 91 ranger with a plate that dropped down about 8" off my stock bumper and even with the added leverage, I managed to tow the over loaded trailer a few hundred miles with no problems.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
K thanks waltman. I don't jerk people or anything that pisses me off when I see jack a's do that to people's trucks. I'm pretty much just wanting something to pull from if I get stuck with no one in front of me because you know about my bumper and it'll do the job but I won't want to dig to get to my rear axle to hook to it over anything once stuck.

I'll probably start this saturday and if it's where I can I'll gusset more and maybe try to reinforce the brackets somehow. I'll see what I come up with.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Or you can get a shakel and put it in the hole in the plate where the ball goes.
Thats what I was going to suggest. Seen many people use the same method.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not a good idea with the shackle. I tried to pull someone out with that setup & bent the mounting plate where the ball goes.:banghead

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
Not a good idea with the shackle. I tried to pull someone out with that setup & bent the mounting plate where the ball goes.:banghead
Must of been pretty stuck eh? I guess it depends on how your stuck, what angle you pull from, how sturdy the bumper is etc....

I would rather have heavier bumpers with the swing gate attached in the back just for this reason...everything is stronger. That and it looks better with aftermarket parts on. :thumbup

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
It must have been a funky angle, to bend. Its a 1/4" plate of steel that is bolted to the bumper and the frame.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the idea of just the shackle but that's why I built this:

And I really want to use it. It's made w/ 2" 1/4 wall and 1 1/2" 1/4" wall tubing. The shackle is rated at 8 1/2 tons. Its got a 1 1/8th center pin. I rather use it than the 1/4" plate on my bumper.

Just want something strong enough to pull someone out of a small hole if needed. If its too big my cousin has a winch LOL.

Anyone know the towing capacity of a stock 90 rear bumper?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Really? I figured at least a 1000 or so. What can I do to make it stronger? was thinking about replacing the bolts w/ grade 8 and welding the 2 mounts together or something.

Make just make a full hitch then.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts