Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got lucky today!I was about to pull out into a very busy intersection and then decided to take a short cut to avoid it.As I pulle into the empty parking lot(the short cut)my left rear axle broke at the wheel.I know it doesnt sound lucky,but it would have been disaster if I had gone into the intersection.By the way anybody know where to get a good axle(new) at a good price? Its a 9 in with 3.50s.Ford says they discontinued the axles in '98.....Bill :banghead

·
Registered
493 Posts
spdfrk50 said:
I got lucky today!I was about to pull out into a very busy intersection and then decided to take a short cut to avoid it.As I pulle into the empty parking lot(the short cut)my left rear axle broke at the wheel.I know it doesnt sound lucky,but it would have been disaster if I had gone into the intersection.By the way anybody know where to get a good axle(new) at a good price? Its a 9 in with 3.50s.Ford says they discontinued the axles in '98.....Bill :banghead

Snap some pics for us! How exactly did this happen?

·
Registered
643 Posts
did you check jbg???

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
Do you just need one axle shaft? I have one i can sell you.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Uncle runs a garage and we both agree that the way its broke is very odd.It looks as though it came apart where the shaft and the hub were joined together.Its almost smooth as silk whre it came apart.I did check Jeffs and he has them for $90.My cousin has one of the biggest Auto Recycling(he can't stand the phrase "junkyard")businesses in Ms.,so hes trying to find one,But most of his broncos have been pretty well stripped.I take pics when i swap th axle.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
It broke outboard of the bearing and your wheel came off, right?

That'd now be the 5th time I've heard of this, I've seen it once personally.

But the 9" is sooooooooooo much better than the 8.8 cause c-clip axles lose wheels when the axles break :rolleyes:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yer on the money Keith.Ive seen my share of axles coming out and breaking at the gear,But never like this.I wish I could have just seen this and not experienced it.It did very little damage to the quarter panel.I wish I could have seen my face when I watched my wheel roll past me.I bet it was Funny as hell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts