Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down the service road and watched my front left tire and rim fly out infront of me as came to a screeching stop. Just got inspected last week, registered and insured. None of the bolts snapped, looks to be a poor tightening job on the lug nuts. Bought it from a used car dealer by my house, he took it to his shop to get inspection done.

Glad no one was hurt.

·
Registered
217 Posts
if it was loose lug nuts, it probably woulda started going "clunk clunk clunk louder clunk clunk clunk".... before it fell off... i forgot to torque mine down once

·
Registered
710 Posts
bummer man. I'd try to get them to pay for a new rotor/hub assembly if yours was damaged... Obviously don't let them put it on though...

·
Registered
710 Posts
thinking about it further, you should check out your ball joints as well, the lower joint may have been damaged. The dealer should pay for all this stuff, theoretically he should pay for you to take it to a shop of your choice to get the work done... This is lawsuit material so he should be more than happy to fix the damage to your truck... Not saying you should sue him or his mechanics, no one was hurt so no harm no foul, but you oughta check it out really well and make him pay for any damaged parts.

of course we all know how used car dealers are.

how are the threads on the studs? maybe they were stripped out and just popped off, seems like it would have made some hellish vibration before it came all the way off unless it just all gave at once...

you don't have any angry ex girlfriends do ya?:rofl:

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had the same thing happen two hours after I picked up my car from the tranny shop, cept it was a rear tire, it did body damage to my car, but thanks to a tired jogger(insert bah dum dum here... I love puns) he was there to kick over my speeding tire before it got intimate with a brand new caddy... Pick one of those big named ambulance chaser lawyers names outta the phone book, and go back to your "dealer" and tell him "my lawyer, so and so, said you should fix this truck since your shop checked out the vehicle, blah blah blah whatever" and when he tells you to dive head first into an empty swimming pool, after laughing of course, youll realize you are stuck like chuck, because anything could have happened between purchase and meow, and proving that he is liable will be next to impossible... oh and Id check the other 15 lug nuts too...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thinking about it further, you should check out your ball joints as well, the lower joint may have been damaged. The dealer should pay for all this stuff, theoretically he should pay for you to take it to a shop of your choice to get the work done... This is lawsuit material so he should be more than happy to fix the damage to your truck... Not saying you should sue him or his mechanics, no one was hurt so no harm no foul, but you oughta check it out really well and make him pay for any damaged parts.

of course we all know how used car dealers are.

how are the threads on the studs? maybe they were stripped out and just popped off, seems like it would have made some hellish vibration before it came all the way off unless it just all gave at once...

you don't have any angry ex girlfriends do ya?:rofl:
I agree, I'm going tommrow to see what he has to say. As for the threads they are fine, i actually put the spare on for the tow truck and the nuts went on tight. I did hear something, but it never crossed my mind what it could be. This truck makes alot of noise actually. need to oil the springs in the back i think, or wd 40 them. they're loud.

and my girlfriend hates the truck :[ put she couldnt change a tire if her life depended on it

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
If this guy is a "licensed dealer" he should have inspected the vehicle enough to make it safe to sell, it's his responsibilty and liability no matter what....

I sold pre-owned Mercedes Benz for a while and dealers have to make an evaluation to submit to the DMV so SCARE the CRAP out of this guy who doesn't have a leg to stand on because this guy won't want to go to small claims court especially if you go to the local newspaper or cable on this because he'll lose his shirt AND what about all the other customers who've had problems in the past, they'll come out of the woodwork......REMIND HIM........

Something to think about...........:whiteflag

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
331 Posts
mmm our inspections here in texas dont include checking our lug nutz to see if they are torqued properly... Im not saying he isnt the reason they are loose, but proving in a court of law that he is responsible when you have owned and driven this vehicle for a week is next to impossible... and he will know that... Im all for ya making a stink and trying to get him to pay for it... I hope you do, and you can bet if he wants your business next time he will do it at just the cost of a rotor at the least... when I was a lawn and garden manager for wally world, I had a drunk & loud customer try and return a grill of a brand that we hadnt sold in the past ten years (according to the books we had) because it "blowed up" on him... I refused him, he made a stink, I called security and my asst store manager... that prick of a asst mgr gave him a new grill... point? $100 now is worth $1000's later... so its worth a shot.. Im just saying dont get your hopes up....

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Seeing he is in NY the dealer and inspection place can loose alot. I know NY is a very strick state when it comes to vehicle inspections. If they loose there ability to inspect and register vehicles they would be loosing alot. and would loose the ability to inspect vehicles for at min a year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts