Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, someone broke into the truck last night. The passenger door was unlocked because my actuator is stuck open (can't lock it ATM). Fortunately they didn't damage anything, but they did pretty much ransack everything. They wound up taking:
Cobra radar detector (but left the power adapter as I had it running under the dash)
Uniden pro500d CB (and the ghetto-home-made bracket too, who knows why)
two PS2 games which were in the console
uni parking permit
a stack of burned CDs
and my backpack, though they were kind enough to empty all the papers out of it. I'm sure they just didn't want them, but I really do appreciate having my class schedule and receipt as well as my notes from last semester.

Over all, I'm not all that mad about what they took. It stinks, but things could be much worse. I'm thankful to have my truck and my stereo and the few basic tools I had in the glove box.

The thing which peeves me most? They didn't close the door! One of my pet peeves since I put new weatherstrip around the doors, no one ever gets the passenger door shut all the way, so it rattled all the way to school this morning. But alas, as I said, things could be much worse. I wish they would've asked. If someone really wanted it that bad, and asked me nicely, I would've given it to them. I might've even given them the $20 money order that hadn't been made out yet. Meh.

Instead I had to go file a police report. Tomorrow I'll be making the rounds to the local pawn shops. I talked to the local GameStop about the PS2 games, and the store manager is ex-FWPD/security/military and said "Corporate said I don't have to get involved, but for ME it would be a lot more fun to catch these guys. So if they come in, I'll have them sign one of these receipts and ask for ID. Corporate also said I shouldn't call you, BUT I will anyway, just so you know what's going on and so you know to start really getting on the local PD about it." I think I like that guy.

I realize I'll probably never see any of it again. And I realize they'll probably get away with it this time. But now I know what my circuits project will be... Car alarm... Badass car alarm. :thumbup

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
That sucks, but it's great that they left your papers. Most of the time assholes like that tend to strow the things all down the street as they leave. Also great that they didn't take your stereo. All in all sounds like you came out pretty good, except for the whole getting your stuff jacked thing :toothless

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopper said:
That sucks, but it's great that they left your papers. Most of the time assholes like that tend to strow the things all down the street as they leave. Also great that they didn't take your stereo. All in all sounds like you came out pretty good, except for the whole getting your stuff jacked thing :toothless
Yeah, exactly. They even left my boots. Though they left one in the driver's seat so I guess they didn't fit. I got pretty lucky... At least as far as luck can go in a situation like that.

Edit: Oh, and for the weatherstrip, it only rattles if the door isn't closed all the way. The door is hard to close because the weatherstrip hasn't been worn in yet.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Ubermich said:
The passenger door was unlocked because my actuator is stuck open (can't lock it ATM).

and my backpack, though they were kind enough to empty all the papers out of it. I'm sure they just didn't want them, but I really do appreciate having my class schedule and receipt as well as my notes from last semester.

But now I know what my circuits project will be... Car alarm... Badass car alarm. :thumbup
Drag Ubermich

That fact they left your notes suggest they could be fellow or former students. Or they just emptied out your pack to carry off the booty.

Forget the alarm and pop off the inner door panel and push the actuattor clip off the rod on your power actuator. That way you can lock it. Takes about 5 minutes;

as for your next project, here it is;

Out of sight, out of mind !

Sixlitre

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Hijack...Damn Six, I like that setup! /hijack

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
six, I'll have to try that tomorrow. However, I'm still doing the alarm because I'll get a grade for it. My circuits class has a "solder project kit" as the final, but I talked to the instructor and he said I can design my own ciruit (or system), print my own PCB, and build it up... and he'll give me extra credit too! :thumbup

Sometimes I would like to have the lock. Other times I know they'd just break the window. Honestly, I'd rather lose $50 worth of gear than replace a window. Hence the alarm.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,997 Posts
thieves are some of the lowest scum to walk the earth...especially messin with someone's ride. sorry to hear about your losses, glad it wasn't worse.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
They broke into your unlocked truck? It appears to be a crime of opportunity. Glad they didn't clean you out. You sure are taking this well, I would be pretty choked about it if it happened to me.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
damn, i am lucky some of the time, ive left doors unlocked and windows down over night before. But it osunds like things could have been MUCH worse. At least your taking it in stride.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I'll find 'em and give 'em the 'ol 1-2 :box0715:

Sorry to hear about your loss.

What if (instead of a car alarm) you build an attack dog that sits under your truck while your away...then bites their ankles off if they break in.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
waltman said:
They broke into your unlocked truck? It appears to be a crime of opportunity. Glad they didn't clean you out. You sure are taking this well, I would be pretty choked about it if it happened to me.
They did their best to clean me out. They just weren't smart enough to do it. :twak

But about taking it well. There are far more important things in life (like the truck herself :toothless ). I'm so thankful for so many things, there's no reason for something little and material to bring me down. :thumbup

edit:
-Spazmatic- said:
What if (instead of a car alarm) you build an attack dog that sits under your truck while your away...then bites their ankles off if they break in.
There's a thought, but I was thinking more along the line of a decent enough shock to leave their arm spaz'ing for a few minutes. Thinking of having a hot wire along the inside of the door handles, on the seat, the edge of the cover for the radio, back of the steering wheel, back of the fuse cover, tail gate handle, and of course all along the bed. Working on designing a circuit which would give a kind of "warning" shock first, then ready the bad boy capacitor for a "AW HELL NAH!" shock. This all going along with the features of a standard alarm, including setting off multiple sirens (thinking one in the front, one underneath, and one near the back inside to really deafen them if they get inside before setting it off) if *any* wire on the system is cut. Battery backup etc etc etc... "The mother load" basically. It'll be cool when I'm done with it and it'll be badass to design and build.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Yeah you told me about that idea, I'd say go for it.

You can make me one when your done...you know, if you want to or whatever, no biggie, you know..

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
-Spazmatic- said:
Yeah you told me about that idea, I'd say go for it.

You can make me one when your done...you know, if you want to or whatever, no biggie, you know..
I'll have to see how the first one comes out. But if it's decent, I wouldn't have a problem with it for the cost of parts plus a little bubblegum money. :thumbup

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Hey man tell me how it goes :thumbup

While you're at it you may as well take out my shit-stain of an aftermarket alarm.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
-Spazmatic- said:
Hey man tell me how it goes :thumbup

While you're at it you may as well take out my shit-stain of an aftermarket alarm.
haha. Say, you don't have the brain still do you!?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
Ubermich said:
six, I'll have to try that tomorrow. However, I'm still doing the alarm because I'll get a grade for it. My circuits class has a "solder project kit" as the final, but I talked to the instructor and he said I can design my own ciruit (or system), print my own PCB, and build it up... and he'll give me extra credit too! :thumbup

Sometimes I would like to have the lock. Other times I know they'd just break the window. Honestly, I'd rather lose $50 worth of gear than replace a window. Hence the alarm.
Ubermich

By just disconnecting the rod to the electric actuator you will have a working manual lock. The key will unlock and lock it and your inside and outside handles will work too. When you score another actuator, hook the rod back up. It's just a plastic clip that you unsling the plastic clip from and push the rod through to disconnect.

That whole floor project costs about $6.00 in sheet metal and can be done in an afternoon. Once the rug's back in you'd never know it existed.

As far as an alarm, I'm with you on a coil for the door handles !

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sixlitre said:
Ubermich

By just disconnecting the rod to the electric actuator you will have a working manual lock. The key will unlock and lock it and your inside and outside handles will work too. When you score another actuator, hook the rod back up. It's just a plastic clip that you unsling the plastic clip from and push the rod through to disconnect.

That whole floor project costs about $6.00 in sheet metal and can be done in an afternoon. Once the rug's back in you'd never know it existed.

As far as an alarm, I'm with you on a coil for the door handles !

Sixlitre
No doubt, but it was dark last night. I wouldn't have been able to see anything if I tried. I'm about to give it a go while I'm working on the saab.

For the floor, I'd really rather weld it in, but I haven't talked to my friend about it yet. Not way high on my priority list ATM. Especially since I usually keep all my valuables with me. (IE why they took a stack of burned CDs. I never leave originals in my car or truck.)

yeah, I can't wait to start on the alarm. Though testing it is going to be fun... Thinking I need to hire some guinnea pigs. :toothless

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
maybe you can track them down with that parking permit. it was another student for sure. find that sack of crap and get some payback.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts