1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have more battery cables in my basment than you've ever had :goodfinge

4Ga alt cables and 1Ga battery cables for all my projects :D

And these are the super cool cables for the 3G conversion:

3/8" lug on one end - 1/4" lug on the other.
4Ga cable in lengths from 12in up to 4ft :thumbup
20" is the typical Bronco length used

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
save me one of those cables for when we do the alt swap

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All those are already spoken for. But I can get more in a mater of 2-4 days. Almost anything is possible, I hate building cables, factory made is best :thumbup

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
ok Ryan, Happy B-Day first, second... i have 2 standard batteries in my 79 and i dont really like having to fit all the terminals for the accessories that i have and want to have on the bolt to tighten the lug terminal. i have seen other battery terminals that were referred to as "military" from places that have that bolt on both ends and you just use lugs to attach. but what else can i do to simply give me an easy way to tap power for 12v accessories? i want to add the plug in to have the battery cables attach but not open the hood, but i am really talking about lower current items all feeding off one larger distribution block, one that has plug in fuses is ideal. some one pointed me to painless, but there has to be a cheaper way. any ideas?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I recommend getting one or more of these:
http://fordfuelinjection.com/images/terminalstud.jpg
Mount them like this:
http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/showmedia.php?id=48698

So what you do is run a large battery calbe like the ones above from the Positive to that terminal. Then you can run as many 3/8" lugs off it to power stuff.

Those cables above are for a 1968 Bronco customer of mine.
The 20" 1Ga battery cable is his new Ground
The 16" 4Ga is his new 3G alt
The 12" 1Ga battery cable is his new Positive
The 34" 1Ga is his new power feed

Ground goes to the block

The 12" 1Ga battery cable connects the positive battery terminal to one of those terminals. The 32" cable connects his vehicle distribution center under the dash to the terminal. The 16" 4G cable brings the 3G Alt to the terminal to charge the batterys and power the vehicle.

He has a custom fuse and relay center under the dash I built. I'll have pictures of that build up in a few months.

I can get the military battery terminals, then you can bolt cables with 3/8" lugs to it. But I prefer to bring the mess of wires away from the battery. Makes for a cleaner install, and easier to get at the battery if you need to replace it.
I can even get 2/0Ga cables if you want to go crazy. I personally use 2/0Ga batery cables, and never have to worry about cables agian.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
looks like what i want. do you sell these? if not where can i get them? i also wanted a simple fuse block with push in blade type fuses and like an 8ga wire feeding it and male terminal ends so i can easily tap power for accessories. am i making sense in the description? all the ones i have found have blade terminals in & out so i would have to run a wire for each accessory. i kinda want to get the jumper deal done before first snow, but i dont really see myself being a mobile jumpstarter. i already have a sweet set of long thick cables that i got for $5 at a flea market. i can always attach them to the plug. they remind me of the ones on the big motorized pallet cart and forklift batteries at a warehouse i worked at. AXE

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Go to NAPA, get a fist full of terminals, come home, solder them on.

Shouldn't take more than a few mins.

You can get terminal blocks that take blade fuses for a few bucks at Advance. They have a 1/8" input stud, six or eight circuits, and rate to like 80A or something. It should work fine for what you're talking about, just be sure to fuse the main line going to the auxillary panel.

PS-- 3Gs suck.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have this stuff on my Products page:
http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.htm
see the fuse block with the relay blocks?
Those are what I carry. They come with terminals like in this picture:
http://fordfuelinjection.com/harness3.html
So you crimp on the wires so It looks like this.

Much better than anything you can find in a local parts store.
No spade terminals, which are gay!
Electrical stuff from Advanced is the way to half-ass your install.

Oh and 3G's are cool, mine will kill any Large case Alt :goodfinge

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
axaviere said:
looks like what i want. do you sell these? if not where can i get them? AXE
Tell me what you want.

Cable length
Cable gauge size
Connectors on each end.

I can find it and ship it to you or try to find a part number that can be used at a local parts store. I hate soldering on battery cable ends, there have been horor stories about the cables heating up and falling out. Also if you don't heat shrink it properly, it will get rusty and fall apart too.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
sorry, the jumper cables were the only ones i saw on the shelf on that gauge. they are the blue silicone that stays flexy even in the cold. ryan i am afraid you lost me. that pick shows 2 black things. a big one and a small one. is the small one with the big yellow wire the thing i described? a fused power distribution block right? fron there i can get power for stuff? and that other big terminal lug on your site, i will take one of those. i can look local for battery cable that has crimped ends with an eye on both ends to bolt from a battery to that terminal dealy. do you have a set of the big quick disconnect plugs that wreckers mount in the grille area with the cover to keep it clean? how much are the military battery terminals & do you have a pic of them? thanks, AXE

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Fireguy50 said:
Oh and 3G's are cool, mine will kill any Large case Alt
So what's your current output at idle, then? How about turn-on output?

You can get military terminals, silicone wire, and Ryan's fancy little distribution blocks at NAPA. The military terminals are $4/ea... I know that much. Anything else you want you can probably get from Wrangler.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
seboh said:
Post your graph, I'll post mine.
I dunno if I'd bother. Fireguy is comparing his highly modded 3G to stock large case units. It's like comparing a bored, stroked, blown 302 on NOS to a stock 351.

Stock to stock, the large case is a better unit but Fireguy just says "he likes his oranges."

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Even still, something tells me a M12k at stall would smoke that 3G in a hurry.

Internal fan + internal reg in an undersized car alternator? You can't polish a turd.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts