Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
excited. its a 1971...rated at 365hp...Does anybody know the torque rating?

got the D3VE-A2A heads. to come with it,
its out in the shop right now, aint got no camera with me or id put a pic up.
i should have a pic up tomorrow..thanks.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
very nice, keeping it carbed?

i said before but, i wanna do a similar swap...

460/zf5/d60/sterling 10.25

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
excited. its a 1971...rated at 365hp...Does anybody know the torque rating?

got the D3VE-A2A heads. to come with it,
its out in the shop right now, aint got no camera with me or id put a pic up.
i should have a pic up tomorrow..thanks.

'71 rated at 460 ft-lbs at 2800 RPM (flywheel). OF course you are going to loose a bit of that by going from the '71 heads (71.8 cc) to the D3 castings at 88.7 cc. But you will be able to buy gas for it at least..:thumbup

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
JD bronco that is a pretty stout sondin drivetrain make sure to take LOTS of pics if u ever get around to it:thumbup
It wont happen for at least 2 years, but i will be sure to take lots of pics

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
i have a 69 with c9ve heads. should be 10.5 to 1. i'll have to run 93. if you use the stock d1ve block and pistons, you should be able to run pump gas.
i think you'll be around 8.5 to 1 compression ratio.
start reading over on www.ford460.com
everything you want to know about that motor is over there.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
i have a 69 with c9ve heads. should be 10.5 to 1. i'll have to run 93. if you use the stock d1ve block and pistons, you should be able to run pump gas.
Running 93 octane, and a 460, are you seriously rich man? Gas settling in at $3 or so these days, and surely mid $3's by this summer, and what, 7mpg? 93 will be $4. Why would anyone want a 460? I suppose if you drove it once a month.

·
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea id like my compression to be around that range 10.5 to 1. i hear thats like right about the best to run for it.

i will only run premium in bc ill only be driving it when i go to mud.

its gonna be needing bored over at least .020 over alrady, but im gonna go .040, probably put an RV cam in it, and weiland stealth intake, and a 700cfm carb, and headers that should take me around 10 to 1 hopefully. the heads are in really good shape a little bit or porting on exhaust is gonna be done. and so on.

·
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Running 93 octane, and a 460, are you seriously rich man? Gas settling in at $3 or so these days, and surely mid $3's by this summer, and what, 7mpg? 93 will be $4. Why would anyone want a 460? I suppose if you drove it once a month.
thats the point. its not a daily driver, and i have a fair enough job to throw some gas in when i wanna take it wheelin. hardly drive it 12 times a month as it is now, so im in good shape.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts

being seriously rich aside, the truck will see almost no street time.
i had a built 351 in my truck. it would never never make the power that my 460 will make. at least affordably, and reliably.
desk top dyno has me hitting close to 500 hp and over 550 ft pounds. all under 5000 rpm. and should last a long time if taken care of. thats why i want a 460.:thumbup

·
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i had a built 351 in my truck. it would never never make the power that my 460 will make. at least affordably, and reliably.
desk top dyno has me hitting close to 500 hp and over 550 ft pounds. all under 5000 rpm. and should last a long time if taken care of. thats why i want a 460.:thumbup
thats really the main reason why i didnt do a 351 build. i had my hands on a modified 351, but this guy i work with convinced the money that i put into the 351 still wouldnt compare to the power that would come out of a 460 with the same amount of money spend on it.

im picking up the motor from work today, so ill have a picture up here.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
But I hope it gets trailered everywhere it goes. I remember driving up to Wash. State to go wheeling, about a 4hr. drive, myself and Bernie. At the time he had a 460 and 35's I think. By the time we got up to top of the mountain, and made a wrong turn, we had maybe 150 miles on the road, and he was about out of gas. I still had between 1/2-3/4 tank, so I gave him my spare 5 gals. We finally found the rest of the group, and he needed to get more gas from someone.

Whatever you do with a 460 bronco, do it close by a gas station.

·
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But I hope it gets trailered everywhere it goes. I remember driving up to Wash. State to go wheeling, about a 4hr. drive, myself and Bernie. At the time he had a 460 and 35's I think. By the time we got up to top of the mountain, and made a wrong turn, we had maybe 150 miles on the road, and he was about out of gas. I still had between 1/2-3/4 tank, so I gave him my spare 5 gals. We finally found the rest of the group, and he needed to get more gas from someone.

Whatever you do with a 460 bronco, do it close by a gas station.
Yea its gonna get trailered everywhere it goes, im gonna help my brother put his truck back together so that it can get trailered. But im gonna make sure i got plenty of gas all the time in it.

·
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

1 - 17 of 17 Posts