Votes: 50 55.6%
  • No I do not use shock boots

Votes: 40 44.4%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't wait to get them installed. The Bronco has been crying for new shocks for over 10k miles. Anyway they came with boots installed on them already. I didn't think they would and wasn't planning on using any boots. My experience tells me that with boots there tends to be a small pool of mud/water/sand that can build up over time at the bottom of the boot, which is right where the piston of the shock enters the body. Even in a relatively dry climate like Colorado I still get some moisture. Anyway what do you guys think? Use the boots and clean them out every once in a while. Or run no boots and expose the whole piston to the elements all the time? Both have their drawbacks. What would you do?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I run boots but mine have holes in the bottom so that water and mud can run out.

·
Registered
607 Posts
My experience, Zip Ties Suck! :goodfinge I may run no boots in the future but I worry about mud, crud, water and beer getting into my reservoir.

Right I am running boots on my rs5000's and as I said before, Zip Ties Suck!

D

·
yes
1,769 Posts
My experience, Zip Ties Suck! :goodfinge I may run no boots in the future but I worry about mud, crud, water and beer getting into my reservoir.

Right I am running boots on my rs5000's and as I said before, Zip Ties Suck!

D
I'm mainly worried about the road salt in the winter

·
Registered
772 Posts
I dont run the boots on my bilsteins. The pistons have held up better than any other shock ive used.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
shock boots suck. I think they do more harm than good

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
Real wheelers know that they just collect mud and water, and start to look like crap after awhile.
So no I dont run them.

·
Registered
517 Posts
the mag cloride in the winter here in CO will just build up in them (evan with holes). I'd say no we live in a vary dry area and rust will not be a problem. I'm sure you know all this you have been here for a time. The crap they use on our roads in the winter is our worst culprit for carosion. NO BOOTS.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,827 Posts
My 5100s came with them on too. I was too lazy to take them off, so a couple thousand miles later, they are still on there. I dont do mud, so no worries there.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Every rig i have ever worked on that had shock boots had trashed leaky seals because they held in mud water and debris. I run no shock boots and have never had any problems. I tried running them once but they would never stay on right anyway so i tiik them off and never looked back.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts