Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And my timing chain was stretched about double the limit, so I put on a good gear drive but it's gonna be noisy. :toothless

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Are you still running the 268H? I have that cam and it makes good power but I want a roller cam in my new 460. Good luck with that gear drive as my buddy puts them in his cars and all it does is chew up dist. gears. Hopefully it doesn't happen to you.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cam is a Comp 268H. The motor is a 76 Lincoln 460 with DOVE-C heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, a bigass carb, and a Crane adjustable vacuum advance in the distributor. I've got a set of roller rockers for it but there's some issues I have to resolve before I get those on.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
If you think about it, can you tell me your opinion on the cam and timing gears? I had thought about those same two parts for my engine, but haven't been completely convinced yet

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ZOSO said:
Good luck with that gear drive as my buddy puts them in his cars and all it does is chew up dist. gears. Hopefully it doesn't happen to you.
That's interesting, I've never seen a gear drive do that. I've seen HV oil pumps and cheap cams eat dist gears.

·
Registered
585 Posts
78bronco460 said:
The cam is a Comp 268H. The motor is a 76 Lincoln 460 with DOVE-C heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, a bigass carb, and a Crane adjustable vacuum advance in the distributor. I've got a set of roller rockers for it but there's some issues I have to resolve before I get those on.
I'm curious about that cam w/ those heads. If it works, I may have to get another one.

B

·
0 Posts
I had a gear chewed up by an oil pump that was in a bind. The pump was turned sllightly when mounted. Tear down, new pump mounted without bind, no more problemo.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
We have almost the same combo cept I don't have the dove heads. I like the 268h. It produces good low end power. It has a lopey idle when cold but smoothes out when warm. With the d3ve-a2a heads it has great cruise power from about 1700rpm and up. Mine looses power at 4200rpm but I think it has to do with the heads.

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ZOSO said:
We have almost the same combo cept I don't have the dove heads. I like the 268h. It produces good low end power. It has a lopey idle when cold but smoothes out when warm. With the d3ve-a2a heads it has great cruise power from about 1700rpm and up. Mine looses power at 4200rpm but I think it has to do with the heads.
The heads you've got run 88.7cc's, DOVE-C are 71.5cc. The difference is noticable, I pulled the same heads off my motor when I swapped on the DOVE-C's. I only did it cuz I cracked a head at the drag strip :(

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
davids78bronco said:
If you think about it, can you tell me your opinion on the cam and timing gears? I had thought about those same two parts for my engine, but haven't been completely convinced yet
The cam is real good. I think it will be even better when I can afford a good dual exhaust, but there's quite an improvement from the OEM stick as is. The gear drive is freekin loud. It doesn't bother me, but my saginaw is noisy and my exhaust is loud and my swampers are loud so what's a little gear noise? At least it's not a diesel clackityclackin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts