Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to installing some front tow hooks. went with the ones made by Reese. Swapped out the grade 5 bolts that came with it for some grade 8 bolts. They aren't perfectly straight but they're solid. I'll try to get pics soon (it's been raining all day).

I had one question. With the crumple zones on the 92-96 the hook isn't mounted completely against the frame. You can see the bolts from the side. Think this will cause any strength problems? I already had my buddy pull me down the street and they seem solid to me.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I finally got around to installing some front tow hooks. went with the ones made by Reese. Swapped out the grade 5 bolts that came with it for some grade 8 bolts. They aren't perfectly straight but they're solid. I'll try to get pics soon (it's been raining all day).

I had one question. With the crumple zones on the 92-96 the hook isn't mounted completely against the frame. You can see the bolts from the side. Think this will cause any strength problems? I already had my buddy pull me down the street and they seem solid to me.
Pictures... :smilie_slap:smilie_slap

I too hate the accordian PITA to put my hooks on. I just welded dem biches up there. :thumbup

D

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Lets see some pictures.

I got a set off a 06 F150 and bolted them to the crumple zone. I've pulled on them a few times and so far so good.

·
Registered
45 Posts
the true test is when ur buryed in mud with another truck tugging on u

·
Registered
826 Posts
If you have a slight gap youre probably ok, of youve got 1/2" gap that might be iffy.
Are the reese bronco/f150 specific? Wherd you get them?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
the hooks will bend, or the frame will rip before the crumple zone does anything. as for the gap id just cut some washers and shim it so theres no way it can rock

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
The back side of the hook definitely needs to be up against the frame, or at least a spacer of some type, for it to work correctly. Otherwise you're putting stress on the frame, bolt and hook that it was not intended for. With something that IF it failed it could be a big problem, I'd do it right.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they're just some Reese hooks I found at advanced auto. I've got em on there as tight as they will go. It is touching the frame at the front and rear of the hook itself. Just the bolts show because of how i had to drill the holes in the crumple frame. I'm not too worried about it, I don't wheel it hardcore that much. But I love pullin out idiots who drive back in the woods to the cabin with cars haha :thumbup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would it be a bad ideal to try and have the hooks come out the holes that are already in the middle of the bumper.
I was tinking of making a L shape brackets 1/4 inch thick steel and wide enough to attach the hooks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I installed ones off of a 99 or 2000 superduty. I cut slots in the bumper and mounted them flat along the framerail. Plenty strong and they've been used for extractions more times than I wanted to.

·
Runnin you over
672 Posts
We need some pics!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Problem is, I'm good at fixing/ fabbing things but bring the suck at computer skills. Anyone in Spring Texas want ot come by and take pics?

Plus I'm setup to work on stuff here and am usually ready to have a beer.

·
Runnin you over
672 Posts
well man if you really need help you will find a way to take a pic lol

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
I welded some channel on the accordian to give me a flat to bolt the hooks to. The bolts go through to nuts tacked to a steel plate inside to give them a flat surface to rest on. Don't have pics on the inside but here is what it looks like form the outside. Will use these as a base to fab up a winch plate with ideas from the other builds. I thought the plastic was going to be a problem, but it actually keeps the strap on the hook...If and when it falls off then I will get the retaining springs on the hooks

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Packman, as I recall the bottom of the frame is where the "box" is welded together, but I think they just overlapped the metal, creating a lip right down the middle? I basically had my holes drilled to one side so the hook would cinch down flat against the frame. You should go back and make a little spacer so that the hooks are sitting flush.

Edit, ughh, just saw the date, not sure why we're re-discussing this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts