Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am having actual oil pressure issues on my 1990, 302 (5.0L). Yesterday, I installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge in tandem with a new sending unit for the stock gauge. That's just a simple 1/4" brass nipple to a "tee" so both can be installed.

The result is that with 10W30, 15W40, or 20W50 oil, once the engine is up to full operating temp, the pressure drops so that it is almost 0 at idle and no more than 15PSI at highway speeds.

Soooo....I am hoping that the oil pump and pickup tube are the culprits or will at least greatly improve the pressure issues.

I have the parts....pump, strainer / pickup tube, gaskets. Looked around at things a little yesterday but really didn't do any work toward R&R of the oil pump. I kind of got a little "intimidated" :cry

I need to go get a floor jack today and some wood and such cause I am sure I'll have to, at least, raise the engine some...as in other threads.

Do you kind folks have any hints for making this job easier? Don't have as huge selection of tools. Just basic socket sets, some extensions, and hammers and such.

·
Registered
710 Posts
you should be fine with basic tools, you may need some swivel heads for your sockets.

OPEN YOUR HOOD, I had a fella replace the oil pan gasket on my bronco (3 cars in my shop, no space) and he jacked up the engine until the throttle assembly dented the hood... bummer.

You'll have to take the motor and transmission mounts loose, sounds bad but is very easy.

Depending on the year of your truck you'll probably need metric tools, I'd bet your 90 has a lot of metric on it.

A new pump and cleaning the pickup screen/tube will fix your problem I would bet. Brake cleaner is your friend!!! stuff is amazing, just don't be spraying it on any bearings.

You should probably pick up some jack stands while you're at it, lift the truck as high as the stands will let you so you can move around under there, you'll then need the jack to raise the motor/transmission.

good luck, and be safe, don't wanna hear about you on the news :toothless

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Letting the PB Blaster soak into a Y-pipe stud and nut. Thought I would pose one more question:

What is the best way of getting to the nut for the pickup tube? That little sucker is in there and a bit hidden. I'm thinking a 1/4" drive ratchet and socket but any advice would sure be a nice thing right now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts