Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right on. I'm currently running an AMD 5000+ overclocked to 3.0 ghz. 2 gb OCZ memory, ATI 4870, Win XP.

Not sure what motherboard I'm going to get yet, my current one is only AM2. I'll probably get 4 gigs of DDR3 and I'll be running windows 7 after the hardware change.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
AMD Sux. :goodfinge

Someone had to say it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow didnt know they were coming out with the 6 cores so soon. I like AMD. Intel is just so expensive. Just built my new rig with a 2.8ghz 720 X3 black edition and have it running at X4 @ 3.4ghz this thing fly's. Handles all the new games without problem and it was a budget build.

·
Salt Water
1,421 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
i am running the 955 black edition and this thing absolutely smokes. intel be damned. i wonder why the advertised clock speed is so low on that 6 core. i thought about building my latest pc with a 6 core opteron, but i went for the 4 core. now this thing looks like it has potential but i think they need to show me a 4ghz 6 core, its the right thing to do at that price in this market.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i am running the 955 black edition and this thing absolutely smokes. intel be damned. i wonder why the advertised clock speed is so low on that 6 core. i thought about building my latest pc with a 6 core opteron, but i went for the 4 core. now this thing looks like it has potential but i think they need to show me a 4ghz 6 core, its the right thing to do at that price in this market.
It overclocks to 4.1 ghz EASY on air, just a cheap $20 cooler.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Too bad, NewEggs is $100 more. I'd have gotten it for the $105. I've been looking at building a new system and wanted to upgrade. Even $209 isn't bad for a 6core but I need to build as cheaply as possible.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
pffft, I just upgraded to a 8088 and it's going to be badass

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Too bad, NewEggs is $100 more. I'd have gotten it for the $105. I've been looking at building a new system and wanted to upgrade. Even $209 isn't bad for a 6core but I need to build as cheaply as possible.
I hear ya. I jumped through the hoops to get it at $105. It was $199 at Tiger Direct, but had a $50 mail in rebate, got $25 in Bing Cashback, and then $20 for using ebillme. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Dude, my first computer after coming from a C= 64 was an Acer 710XT. It had a screaming fast 10Mhz 8088 with the 8086 CoProcessor. Hercules Monochrome monitor(Orange/Black), 768k Ram(I had the 128 expansion) and to bring it up to modern standards, I saved up the $300 to get the 10Mb Hard drive so I didn't have to Boot using my DOS 3.3 disks and could put them up in the safe to keep the dust out of them just in case.

In High School I was programming BASIC on the TRS80 Model 4. A few years(after High School) later I got one of my own that had 2 5 1/4 drives and the 8" external. It's now a nice foot rest at my computer table.

The first computer I ever built was a 12Mhz 286 and I didn't need the 287 since the 286 was so much better than the 8088.

Now, the TI-86 calculator that I use in math classes today has the same Z80 processor that my TRS80 had 30 years ago.

Just FYI. I'll be 40 in August.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Wow didnt know they were coming out with the 6 cores so soon. I like AMD. Intel is just so expensive. Just built my new rig with a 2.8ghz 720 X3 black edition and have it running at X4 @ 3.4ghz this thing fly's. Handles all the new games without problem and it was a budget build.

hah!! i'm running that same processor at 3.6ghz!! ....when i enabled the 4'th core though, it kept freezing up on prime95 testing though :( i guess you got lucky and got one with a good 4'th core.

i'd rather have twice as much speed than twice as many cores though.. since most applications are only single threaded.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts