Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got pulled over in for speeding last night in my new 2010 VW Jetta TDI. I admit I was speeding (58 in a 45), but it was one of those places where the speed limit goes from 55 to 45. Whatever. :whiteflag I live in TN so I was not 100% on the KY handgun laws, except for the fact that my TN permit is valid in KY. When he asked for my license, registration, & proof of insurance I told him that I was carrying a loaded handgun in the glove box. He asked me if the glove box was locked, and I said no sir. He asked me to step out and go back by his patrol car and wait. He then went over and ejected the magazine, locked the slide back, and left all of it in the glove box. When he was done he said I could sit back in the car. After a few minutes, he came back with my citation and some “words of wisdom.”

He told me that while traveling in KY handgun permit holders are “required” to keep the gun un-chambered and locked in the glove box. Right then I thought to myself, this is BS because what is the point of the permit if I can’t have my gun loaded at all times AND most older vehicles like my F150 don’t even have a locking GB. I nodded and said yes sir it won’t happen again.

Well I got to looking at KY’s laws this morning and found this site:http://kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm

How can I legally carry a gun in my vehicle without a CCDW license?

KRS 527.020 - "A deadly weapon shall not be deemed concealed on or about the person if it is located in a glove compartment, regularly installed in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer regardless of whether said compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism."

Is this saying that I didn’t even have to have a permit to have a gun in my unlocked glove box? I guess this shows how much the cop knew the law. WTH?!?!

I called after work, and if I paid the ticket straight up = $169.
I asked if I could get a diversion for 6 months and that = $96.50

Guess what I'll be choosing?:rofl:

Rant off!!!

·
Too poor for FSM
1,395 Posts
Im waiting to get a lecture myself. Being 16, and not being able to get my permit, i carry a 12 gage in the rack if im going anywhere out of the orderary, and sometimes my ipsc bag (.45, un loaded. IPSC is practical shooting association.) All is legal here in washington, even if underage like myself. i dont mess with guns.
Anyways, im waiting to get pulled over by a prick cop that puts me in the back of the car and whatnot because i have a firearm.
Most cops dont know there own laws...

-Vance

·
RBV Abuser, F/S user
747 Posts
I keep a loaded APC in the glovebox, empty chamber though, and have never had any grief at the "traffic stops" that are common around here. Then again, I don't have out of state plates, either... Cop most likely thought that he could " share" some of his personal thoughts with you and you would take them as law, since you were not from here. I have had that happen to me in several states while I was driving truck.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I guess I'm lucky where I live. The last time I was stopped it was on my way home from the range. My instrument cluster was out and I got picked out of the group of cars apparently doing 70+ in a 55. As the Trooper approached the car I leaned out the window and told him that before he got to me that I just wanted to let him know I had unloaded firearms in the back seat, that I was just on my way home from the range and that I also had a holsters pistol in the front seat and asked him what he wanted me to do. He stopped for a moment, thanked me for warning him and proceeded up to the car. He told me what I did, wrote me the ticket and then we had about a 30 minute discussion on firearms and tactics.

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
So you told him you have a concealed handgun permit, and he still lectured you? Typically those "unloaded, locked in the glove box" rules only apply to people passing through the state who do NOT have a concealed carry permit. But since you do have a conceal carry permit and it is has reciprocity with KY, you were not breaking the law by carrying your gun loaded in the glove box. As long as you told him you had a CCW permit, the cop was clearly in the wrong for giving you those (incorrect) words of wisdom. My state of NC also has reciprocity with KY, and in NC it's 100% legal to have it concealed and loaded with a concealed carry permit. That's like Concealed Carry Law 101, it's amazing that he managed to **** it up that badly.

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
KRS 527.020 - "A deadly weapon shall not be deemed concealed on or about the person if it is located in a glove compartment, regularly installed in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer regardless of whether said compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism."
If I'm reading that law correctly, a weapon is not concealed if it's in the glovebox. Your permit allows you (in OK requires you) to carry concealed -- out of view of the "casual observer." I call bullshit on his interpretation of the law. What good is a CCL if, technically, you're not allowed to conceal your weapon??

I wonder if this particular traffic stop would have gone differently if you'd done like they tell us to in our CCL courses -- hand the LEO your driver's license, insurance, and concealed carry license at the same time, at the beginning of the traffic stop. The LEO knows you wouldn't hand him your CCL if you weren't carrying, and from the get-go he's aware that you're a law-abiding citizen, not just a considerate felon...

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
hand the LEO your driver's license, insurance, and concealed carry license at the same time, at the beginning of the traffic stop. The LEO knows you wouldn't hand him your CCL if you weren't carrying, and from the get-go he's aware that you're a law-abiding citizen, not just a considerate felon...
:stupid I do this. Hand him all the stuff together... unless you're in Maryland. Don't hand the cop your CCL in Maryland. Don't even give them the impression that you might be a gun lover, they will make your life hell. Because it's Maryland and that's what they do.

·
RBV Abuser, F/S user
747 Posts
Yeah, Ky is odd about the "glovebox" thing. Glovebox, L&L is fine, BUT, if you have your piece in the center console, THEN it IS concealed, and you BETTER have a CCL permit. WTH is with that, you might ask? Look at where it comes from... Hillbilly land. The only vehicle that we have that the glovebox is hard to reach is the FSB, everything else, I simply lean over and say " Hi, there." to my little friends.

·
Retired
16,027 Posts
Yes but as a permit holder it is your responsibility to know the local laws of the jurisdiction your entering. My CCL rules in GA does not apply in Tn. I have to obey their laws even though they except my permit. Always keep this in mind if you are traveling out of state.

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
Last time I made an road trip through several states I made sure I knew what states reciprocated my FL license. I stopped before entering SC and unloaded my firearm. As soon as I crossed into TN I reloaded.

·
Enjoy my
6,055 Posts
Officer is full of shit:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/kentucky.pdf

As a general rule, unless you are in one of the states that requires you inform the officer of firearms in the vehicle I would keep your mouth shut and CCW permit in your wallet.

·
Registered
670 Posts
ive only been pulled over once with my CCW and the only thing the cop said was "its nice to see people in this area that carry the legal way"

but ever since i was like 3 my mom carries a S&W .357 magnum in her purse without a permit and nobody has ever said anything to her about it :shrug

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
One thing I miss about Arizona, One time I was in a conviniance, convienia, Circle-K getting me a soda and the lil old lady in front of me needed 50 cents, so as im giving her the money she goes through her purse one more time and I notice that she is packin' Heat-

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So you told him you have a concealed handgun permit, and he still lectured you? Typically those "unloaded, locked in the glove box" rules only apply to people passing through the state who do NOT have a concealed carry permit. But since you do have a conceal carry permit and it is has reciprocity with KY, you were not breaking the law by carrying your gun loaded in the glove box. As long as you told him you had a CCW permit, the cop was clearly in the wrong for giving you those (incorrect) words of wisdom. My state of NC also has reciprocity with KY, and in NC it's 100% legal to have it concealed and loaded with a concealed carry permit. That's like Concealed Carry Law 101, it's amazing that he managed to **** it up that badly.
I agree with you totally.

If I'm reading that law correctly, a weapon is not concealed if it's in the glovebox. Your permit allows you (in OK requires you) to carry concealed -- out of view of the "casual observer." I call bullshit on his interpretation of the law. What good is a CCL if, technically, you're not allowed to conceal your weapon??

I wonder if this particular traffic stop would have gone differently if you'd done like they tell us to in our CCL courses -- hand the LEO your driver's license, insurance, and concealed carry license at the same time, at the beginning of the traffic stop. The LEO knows you wouldn't hand him your CCL if you weren't carrying, and from the get-go he's aware that you're a law-abiding citizen, not just a considerate felon...
Agreed and the reason I didn't just hand him my license, insurance, registration, and CCL first thing is because the registration was in the glove box with the gun. I guess I didn't want him to think I was about to throw down on him.:rofl:

Yes but as a permit holder it is your responsibility to know the local laws of the jurisdiction your entering. My CCL rules in GA does not apply in Tn. I have to obey their laws even though they except my permit. Always keep this in mind if you are traveling out of state.
Totally agreed and you better believe I've been reading the laws for both TN and KY. It's funny though, I only went into KY because there is a nice pay at the pump diesel island that I like to go to rather than the pay inside joints on the TN side. That may have been my last trip though!:histerica

One thing I miss about Arizona, One time I was in a conviniance, convienia, Circle-K getting me a soda and the lil old lady in front of me needed 50 cents, so as im giving her the money she goes through her purse one more time and I notice that she is packin' Heat-
The day I got my CCL there was a nice old lady there at the DMV getting her's renewed. I asked her what she carried and she said .357 S&W! :crazy I just thought that was awesome!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts