Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm a book freak. Love em, and I pick buy one any chance I can get. Not novels, but philosophy, politics, thesis, sociological texts, those sort of things. Well, about two years ago I was at a family reunion in Brockville Ontario and chatted with my great uncle Bill. He asked what I had taken in university and I said I majored in Criminology and Sociology, and told him about the courses and my main areas of interest. He tells me that he's got something hanging around the house that he never looked at anymore, and that he'll send it my way. Well like I said it has been nearly two years and I had forgotten about Bills promise to send me something until now:

For those of you with bad peepers like me it reads:

Provincial Law Of Upper Canada, third edition, date: 1851.

What an awesome book!! It may be an utter bore to many people, but I havent been able to let this book down yet. Its amazing to read about the punishments for 150 year old crimes like pig thieves etc...:thumbup

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Nice score Matthew

Wasn't that right around the time we stretched the necks on those Black Donnely's ?:toothless

Darn lucky you're from Brockville and not Prescott. There's a lot of people who wouldn't be so pleased to see their Uncles in Prescott:toothless

Enjoy the book, how's the Bronco doing ?

Sixlitre

·
Surrounded by Assholes
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sixlitre said:
Darn lucky you're from Brockville and not Prescott. There's a lot of people who wouldn't be so pleased to see their Uncles in Prescott:toothless

Enjoy the book, how's the Bronco doing ?

Sixlitre
Actually, my family is from a little Irish/Catholic stronghold just outside Buckingham Quebec, which is now called Gatineau since that whole area amalgamated a few years ago. Many aunts and uncles moved to Brockville and the surrounding area, and it seemed like a central place to hold the reunion. You should take a drive through Thurso, Masson, Buckingham areas. Beautiful country, and only a little over half an hour from Ottawa. As a matter of fact, im headed there in august to pick up a jag of 18 foot oak planks that are at the old farmstead. According to the little voice in my head, I'll be slipping into a little watering hole at the Alexander Hotel to drink my face off whilst gawking at some local french tramps.

Bronco is good, motor is running a little rough as it is timed at 6 BTDC, and the distributor is a little stuck. Other than that, its putting right along. I've actually got it for sale now, im looking for something newer, more reliable, and cost efficient for a daily driver. Im not in a position to have both at the moment.

·
Banned
1,692 Posts
wow matthew i have to say that i'm very jealous of your new found book.

i studied criminology when i was in school and have been fascinated with it my entire life. like you i would not be able to put that book down.

do you have any of ann rules novels. i'm obssesed with her books. i have almost the whole set now.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
MatthewC said:
Actually, my family is from a little Irish/Catholic stronghold just outside Buckingham Quebec, which is now called Gatineau since that whole area amalgamated a few years ago. Many aunts and uncles moved to Brockville and the surrounding area, and it seemed like a central place to hold the reunion. You should take a drive through Thurso, Masson, Buckingham areas. Beautiful country, and only a little over half an hour from Ottawa. As a matter of fact, im headed there in august to pick up a jag of 18 foot oak planks that are at the old farmstead. According to the little voice in my head, I'll be slipping into a little watering hole at the Alexander Hotel to drink my face off whilst gawking at some local french tramps.

Bronco is good, motor is running a little rough as it is timed at 6 BTDC, and the distributor is a little stuck. Other than that, its putting right along. I've actually got it for sale now, im looking for something newer, more reliable, and cost efficient for a daily driver. Im not in a position to have both at the moment.
Matthew

I know the area fairly well. Friends have English farms all through there, though most are weekend cabins now as they've all moved over to Canada proper (Ontario side).

Keep soaking the base of that dist in penetrating oil and one day, with a hammer, it may come loose.

Know what you mean about a DD. Had to retire my Bronco from DD to weekend and evening use when the gas gougers had their way with gas prices this time last year during Katrina.

It's still licensed and insured but doesn't get driven much so it ain't costing me much at all. Probably keep it as FS 4X4s for sale up here are a dime a dozen and my body work is still all new.

The new DD, a mint 90' Lincoln Town Car is getting ridiculously good mileage with the same drivetrain as the Bronco:wacko Same 5.0 litre, same AOD, same 8.8 diff (though a 3.27 gear).

Guess the difference must be areodynamics as the Lincoln is only 400lbs less than the Bronco.

Pretty darned reliable if you're looking large. Did the same ignition, exhaust and a few others mods, like the Bronco and all I've touched in a year is the rad and a brake line.

People are giving them away too:toothless

Sixlitre

Sixlitre

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
That is so cool! I have a couple of old books as well. Nothing as old as yours, but cool just the same, well actually not as cool or intersesting...nice find.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I just inherited a book from my grandfather that belonged to my great great great grandfather(I think). It's a diary he kept from when he was in the Civil War. It has some really awesome stories and (war)poems as well. He(and I) are related to some really famous artist from way back when and he drew some AMAZING pictures in the back of the diary, I'll have to ask my dad what his name was. Anyways, we got the book and all the pics are in awesome shape but some of the writing is difficult to read but the diary was typed up years back when it was all legible so we still know what it all says. My dad is talking to a museum to see if they want it to put on display so that it will be able to be enjoyed by more people. Anyways, sorry for the hijack, your book just reminded me of it.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
DvlRacer said:
I just inherited a book from my grandfather that belonged to my great great great grandfather(I think). It's a diary he kept from when he was in the Civil War. It has some really awesome stories and (war)poems as well. He(and I) are related to some really famous artist from way back when and he drew some AMAZING pictures in the back of the diary, I'll have to ask my dad what his name was. Anyways, we got the book and all the pics are in awesome shape but some of the writing is difficult to read but the diary was typed up years back when it was all legible so we still know what it all says. My dad is talking to a museum to see if they want it to put on display so that it will be able to be enjoyed by more people. Anyways, sorry for the hijack, your book just reminded me of it.
That is, oh so cool!

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Oh Oh... Ive got a book addiction AND an Amazon account. The wife might take our debit card. Doah.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.