Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, got some good noobie questions.

I've yanked out my old 200,000 mile, tired 5.0 EFI in anticipation of Santa bringing me a new crate long block.

my question is, now that the patient has it's innerds all exposed while waiting for the new engine, what items, things would be wise/smart to replace, clean or discard while the opportunity is here?

I've started my list with the smog crap. My County does not require smog, so should I get rid of it, I'll never need it. any complications?

Thanks, Rob

'87 Bronco EB, 302 EFI, AT,33's slight lift.(just got)
'72 F-100 4x4 shorty 4" lift,35's, built 390, 4spd
'78 CJ-5, 360 AMC, Ford T-18, D20, 3" lift, 33's (part time driver)
'53 M38A1, Buick V6, Offy intake, 4" lift, 33's
'54 CJ-3b Just got the frame blasted, all apart on the garage floor, my winter Project
'04 Ford Excursion, Diesel, Family rig
'95 Toyota 4-Runner 2 1/2" lift, 32's, 3.0 V6 Daily Driver

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
keep the emissions stuff. read this link as to why you should keep them. http://www.fourdoorbronco.com/board/showthread.php?t=5427 Credit: STEVE83

as per other stuff, like tps and stuff, that's up to you. i'd replace the hard to reach/pain in the ass to change kinds of things. the TPS being one of them. fuel pressure regulator, get a new one.

it's really up to you. if it was running fine, and had no codes for sensors and things like that, i'd just swap them over.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
If you haven't done the saginaw power steering pump upgrade, this is a good time.
I'd also consider headers or new exhaust manifolds, I always hear about people with cracked exhaust manifolds.
If the smog stuff isn't giving you trouble, I wouldn't remove it. Check the thermactor diverter valve and the exhaust check valves (2, I think), if you have them.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
whatever looks worn or was giving you problem. if the smog stuff wasn't giving you trouble leave it on motor. clean up the engine bay and frame and repaint look for broke vac lines. if you want to do sag power sterring box and hydro boost brakes.

·
Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
188 Posts
Put a high temp anti seize on all the exhaust bolts. Replace any rounded nuts.

Replace, or check every vacuum hose for leaks.

160 amp swap alternator bracket grind.

Maybe replace the tranny pump seal, if it leaks.

Swap your torque converter to one that matches your new hi-po motor.

Smog pump delete pulley, bracket.

Clean your intake plenum, port match your intake to your new heads.

Degree your cam.

Check your motor mounts or replace.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Go here: www.supermotors.net/17406 Engine Swap dtd Aug/Sept. 2008 and see what I did when installing my new 302 EFI long block, take everything off the old engine you can re-use, clean and repaint and save a bit of money...visually inspect the wiring harness for chaffed or damaged spots and repair, retape and lay it off to the drivers side out of the way while you install the new engine.

I used Blue Painters tape to label every M/F connector on the partial harness so it was a no brainer when hooking it back up.

Make sure you know how to "stab" a distributor correctly otherwise it won't run for you....not that hard but have fun doing it, it was a great challange for me doing it myself.

Post pictures of it before and after if you can.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awsome comments! Thanks, I'm leaving the smog stuff, it wasn't bothering me. I'm looking into the saginaw swap, I saw this was popular. The hardest part of the whole damn thing is the reaching to the rear of the engine for those last connections. Got a few cramps once I was able to escape being trapped in my own engine compartment.

Rob

'87 Bronco EB, 302 EFI, AT,33's slight lift.(just got)
'72 F-100 4x4 shorty 4" lift,35's, built 390, 4spd
'78 CJ-5, 360 AMC, Ford T-18, D20, 3" lift, 33's (part time driver)
'53 M38A1, Buick V6, Offy intake, 4" lift, 33's
'54 CJ-3b F-134 T90 2.5" lift Just got the frame blasted, all apart on the garage floor, my winter Project
'04 Ford Excursion, Diesel, Family rig
'95 Toyota 4-Runner 2 1/2" lift, 32's, 3.0 V6 Daily Driver, now my Daughters.....damn.

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
Now that the engine is out. Its a good time to check things, clean the engine bay. De-Grease and Repaint the front part of the frame. Inspect your front axle and any bushings (pivot Bushing). It would also be the ideal time to completely remove the air conditioner/heater box and clean out any leaves, debris inside, check and replace any parts for the A/C if your using it.

[/IMG]

If your bronco is like most, the bottom screws holding in the Evaporator look like this.....
[/IMG]
This is the ideal time to deal with this pain in the ass problem.

Put in a new blower motor if you need it. Also, remove the Cowl piece between the hood and the windshield and inspect for any rust or leaves clogging up the drain. Then maybe go back with some POR-15 on any rusted spots to stop the corrosion. Check your radiator core and any body mounts that might be rusted.

Also, its a good opportunity to go thru your wiring, check for scuffs and abrasions and fix anything you find. Clean all your wire connectors. Once your ready to install, hit all connections with lots of Di-electric Grease.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts