Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well a couple weeks ago I was lazy and knew my brakes were quite bad so I took the Bronco into a shop to have the work done. They claimed my rotors had been turned to the point where they could not turn them again. So new rotors and pads in the front, and new shoes in the drums in the rear. They took all friken day, but when I take it anywhere I try not to be a whiny customer and call to see whats up. Anyhow, I get a call saying the work is done and they're closing so come pick it up. I get there and they asked me if I knew that my truck had a charging problem. I told them no, and that it does not have a charging problem that it has been the most reliable truck I have ever owned when it came to never draining the battery even through stupid things I have done. Anyhow, they have to jump it and the guy puts an ampmeter all over the battery, solenoid, and such and tells me it looks ok but it is never right for a battery to die like that. I'm PO'd and just want my keys back so tell them look I'll pay you what we agreed and I'll look at it myself. They charge me more than agreed, but not much so I pay it and mention that I'm not happy with the way things went. Guy proceeds to tell me they value their customers and swear by their work blah blah blah..I go home. Brakes work great, but the pads do squeal now and then probably due to low quality or maybe something is just in there...some brake cleaner helped the problem. Last night I get home and the drivers side front is clangling like mad (See post). This morning I wake up early before work to look over a few things I found from searching, and it turns out that 4/5 lugs were loose to the point that 2 were barely on thier threads and 2 were finger tight. So I pull out the key for the lock lug and the jack because the tire is way out and I need to take pressure off the tire to pull the wheel back onto the lugs evenly. Now the reason why I'm so pissed. If I had chose to take the freeway home I would have lost the 2 lugs that were barely there and possibly the 2 others. I would of had a nice picture of the bronco on the side of the road and the tire gone a few miles down the road. Thank goodness I took the slower back way home and stayed on mostly side streets.
End Vent..I still feel like beating the shop owner up though.

·
USAF Veteran
2,975 Posts
that really sux, but just be thankful that you didn't have any accidents or incidents before you found this mistake.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,648 Posts
Did you call them back and lay into them? :mad:

·
Super Moderator
26,031 Posts
yo,
Bad!...let them know about this!
Also, check the wheel studs for thread damage which prob. happened, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
miesk5 said:
yo,
Bad!...let them know about this!
Also, check the wheel studs for thread damage which prob. happened, unfortunately.
as well as the rim the holes will get wallered out from loose lug nuts...especially aluminum!

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Take it back and report your findings.
DO NOT go back all upset with yelling, go in there calm and act proffesional and state what was wrong, and how you could have been injured.

what did they charge you extra for?

·
USAF Veteran
2,975 Posts
i would imagine that they charged him extra for checking his charging system taht they claim was bad. i, personnally would not have paid for that though.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
after you kill them just remember to cut off the head and hands .......... also destroy the teeth (dental records you know)

:p

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Wow!! Thank goodness your ok.

I had that happen to me last winter.. Had a guy I know do the front breaks on the bronco. Afterward I had to drive 20 miles, but I went on the freeway....after running that 20 miles doing 65/70 mph....I get 3 blocks from my destination and when I turned my wheel, I got this horrible clunking noise and massive vibration. I park and the WHOLE front driver side tire was loose. All 5 lugs were almost off....EVERY one of the holes in the rim were stripped BIG time.....Scarey because I had my kids in there with me and I thank God those lugs didnt come off....
I always check my lugs at 50 miles after a tire has been off. Now I do it a LOT sooner.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What was the name of the shop that did the work? Was it a large chain like firestone or just brakes etc. If so complain to the corprate office chances are they will send you atleast a partial refund.

Btw your brakes are probably sqealing cause they didnt stake the pads tight. Take it back and make them fix it right as long as you didnt decline a bunch of work they will fix it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here's an update on this. I had work from 9-6 this morning so decided to stop by as they were opening shop. I did go in and in a calm manner explain to the shop owner what happened. He immidiately called the mechanic that did the work over and told him that he owed me an apology. The mechanic said his words and went back in. The shop owner said the next time I needed a tune up, or minor work done that they would do it for free because he vaules his customers. I explained to him there was no way that I was going back, and rather than pay someone to do the work the same day that I'd rather spend the time and learn to do it myself. (I can replace pads..but I suck at drums and I wasn't too confident in myself to dig apart the hubs...never again.) I did have one lug that would not thread smoothly, but after cleaning the threads with a toothbrush I was able to torque it down. There doesn't appear to be too much damage as the second it got bad I slowed way down and basically rolled home. All in all the shop asked if there was a tow cost or any damages and was decent..but then again I still don't trust them to do quality work. The shop is a local place (I hate putting names up on BB's...if needed to know just PM me) that is not part of a large chain, or at least I have never seen one with the same name. They are less than a mile from my house and I decided to try them for convienance. At least it was an easy fix and I haven't noticed any further damage. If there is damage to the wheels I have been looking for an exuse to put Mickey Thompson classic II's on them. Anyone with pics of these wheels, I'd love to see them.

::edit:: The extra charge was parts prices that added up. When I dropped the truck off I agreed at a set price with the promise that if the price were to exceed said amount that they would call me. Will, price was like 30 some bucks over said price and I paid it simply because I was tired, disgusted that they said my truck had a charging poblem, and I wanted to go home. They "checked" the charging system for free and in my presence.

·
USAF Veteran
2,975 Posts
at least they owned up to their mistakes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts