Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think? Worth looking at it? It's about a leisurely 45 minute drive from me. Not sure what the market is for a 70's half ton flatbed around here, but I'm bored and maybe I could get it running and sell it. :dunno Clearly it looks like he doesn't know what he has. Everyone knows that 454's are Trabant engines.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,619 Posts
Offer $450.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, if he hasn't sold it by tomorrow I might set up a time to go see it.

It says it doesn't run and it's like 30+ miles away, so I asked my wife if her dad still had his car trailer and I immediately got the "What did you buy!?!?!" from her. Like I said, I might go look at it.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,441 Posts
Worth it. Go buy it and show us that 454!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dunno. My wife is in a really bad mood today. Lol. Might not want to rock the boat.

He updated his listing and it now says 460? Instead of 454? so he's getting warmer. He also put 2x4 so someone probably asked if it was 4x4.

Its also probably a 75 and not a 74 because 1. It has an ignition box and therefor no points, they went to that in 75 and 2. 75 was the first year for the F150.

I need to figure out how to not regret this if I do it. Lol. I'll update if its a go . Otherwise its a no go.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,441 Posts
The flatbed alone is worth double the asking price around here, if it's in decent shape. Not to mention every thing else that comes with it....

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This guy is a funny dude. He must not have anyone else interested. I'm used to FB and CL deals disappearing in the first day after I contact them.

For me to tow it right now I'd have to use my wife's Pilot with a uhaul dolly or trailer as my truck is weighed down for a while and I have no trailer. I went and priced that out before getting back to him and that'd put me about $75 in the hole +gas.

He was only available after 8pm yesterday so I said maybe tomorrow (today) and he said he was only available between 8:30-9am. :eek:mgtrek He also said if that wouldn't work that he wouldn't be available until Monday, I'm assuming he's out for the weekend. What a wacky deal.

I asked if he had any more pics of it and he said no more until next week. :scratchhe

I'm in no big hurry on this deal and apparently neither is he. I'm just hoping the rest of it looks pretty decent and the driver side isn't caved in or something stupid like that. He did mention that it has been sitting for over 5 years and that "it might start with some fresh gas and a new battery" so I'm assuming the engine isn't broken. So...if this actually happens sometime next week :doh0715: maybe it'll be as easy as emptying the tank and cleaning the carb and it'll fire up.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,441 Posts
Eh be patient. He may not live on the property where the truck is.

I'd be asking 1000 for my 78 f150, if I were selling it. It's in much worse shape.. the doors and hood are the only straight body panels on it. That dent on the bed is from the top of an 80ft tall cottonwood falling on it. It also hit the cab. It also had a superduty slide into it in the ice once, which was followed by an explorer into the superduty. It was a Ford sandwich Haha. And it's been sitting for 15 years. It's got a 351m, np435, np205, and a factory LS 9" under 3/4 ton rear suspension. The axles are rusted solid. Some day I'll build it up.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I'm not a buyer for your truck at 1k. lol Though at least it is a 4x4. I'm not sure what your truck would fetch around here. I know people can get these trucks cheap in the southern states and a lot of people in the rusty areas ask for heaps of money. I'm kind of in an area where the pricing is all over the place. Sometimes a very pristine looking truck comes up for 4500, sometimes it comes up for 15k.

I honestly think it's the flatbed turning people off. Well, that and the 2wd. If I had room for it and it turns out to be what I think it is (very straight truck) then I'd totally keep it. I think a flatbed would come in handy some days.

The town he's in has a population of about 1500. He said on the northern side of that town, so he's probably out in the sticks a little, which looks about right in those pics he posted. I'll patiently wait.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,441 Posts
Mine is on the verge of being a parts truck. I'm actually wanting to go flatbed on it. But that's because the bed is trashed. The floors are rusted through. The engine is sealed and good though, and the front fenders arent all that bad. It's worth 1k here. If it had a flatbed like yours itd be a 2k truck. Basically what I'm saying is that truck you're looking at would be sold already for that price.

My neighbor bartered for a 73 f350 recently. Dually, 2wd, hydro dump flatbed, 360 and a 4 speed for 12 square bales. Which at the time were probably selling market 20 bucks a piece. But that's a rare deal to stumble on. On CL it would've gone 4k or so

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well boys, I'm goin' for a drive in a couple minutes. I won't be able to haul anything off tonight as its late, but I'm gonna take a look at it. If I pull the trigger I'll be driving back with a trailer tomorrow to get it. He gave me his address and he indeed lives in bfe, out in the middle between two 1500 population towns. I'm gettin' giddy, I hope its everything I've ever wanted. lol

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like I'll be picking it up around 6pm tomorrow due to work schedules. I got to his place juuuust as the sun disappeared, so I got about 5 minutes of looking at it with faint sunlight and then the rest was by flashlight. Not ideal, but it was good enough. I asked if he'd take less than 600, but he said no and that he had other guys interested and would only lower the price if the others wouldn't take it for 600. Was he bluffing? Possibly. Was it worth 600 regardless? I thought so.

Here's the overall rundown on it. It's a '77 F150 Ranger XLT LWB 2wd with a metal flat bed frame that has a wooden floor (plywood). It has a 460 with C6. It has cruise control, intermittent wipers, and ac. Someone has added headers to it. Other than the headers, the flatbed, and a crappy aftermarket tape deck, it seems all original. It still has the OE hubcaps and everything.

The only real bad stuff I saw was that the headliner was hanging down mid air in the cab, a little bit of damage to the driver side front fender, and there's some rust on the floorboards underneath what looks like carpeting from someones home. The rockers look ok and so do the cab corners, so maybe I caught it early enough to save the floorboards. I couldn't get a real good look at the underside with the way it's sitting.

I took a 1/2" ratchet set with me and attempted to turn it over by hand and it did. I could hear the compression letting off out the valves as I'd slowly turn it, so I'm assuming that's a good sign. :thumbup Has the factory 4bbl carb. Minus the hay, yellow jackets, and mouse crap, I think it's a pretty good deal. There are a few more little things, but nothing scary, like a busted turn signal lens.

It was dark and I took these just before I got in the car and left.

It's probably not, but I noticed a color on the steering gear and rubbed it to see and it is indeed red. I could only hope someone put a redhead steering gear on it. What are the odds of that??? You can kinda see it in this pic.

I think this is part of the cruise control setup. I've never seen one in person, so I'm pretty excited about it regardless if it works. Pretty neat!

I'm super stoked. I don't think this was the guys favorite truck to have around. He said it was his ex-wife's truck and that she was a fan of Fords. Funny stuff.

·
Premium Member
4,042 Posts
if you want it rent a uhaul f250 and trailer and bring it back. easiest way other than loading it. That or pay for AAA unlimited for a year.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had to... improvise to get it here, if you didn't notice. I need to make a trip today and see if I can pick up a couple of used 31's that can hold some air. I just need this thing to sit in front of my house and look like it runs until I can actually make it do so. Fake it till ya make it. I'm sure my neighbors are like wtf is this guy doin' every time I start messing around with my stuff like this. I want to move out of town a few miles in the country a little bit. It wouldn't seem so out of place there.

Ps. Sorry for the blurry pics, this phone doesn't do night pics very well.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone have tips for de-mouse turding this thing? I power washed it at a local car wash in the wee hours this morning before pulling it off the dolly and parking it. I got most of the bird crap and mouse turds off the bed and cab and did what I could under the hood without putting the nozzle down the air cleaner snorkel. This is the first time I've had to deal with a nasty interior. Also, I will say the aroma of mouse droppings when you get them nice and wet really hits the spot. :barf

I was gonna pull the bench seat out, yank the carpet up and attempt to rinse out the floor with my hose at home. Not sure how great of an idea that is, but we'll see how things go once I start stripping the inside a bit. Obviously I'm not gonna just blast the inside of the cab with water, though it sounds tempting.

I'm gonna pull the heater box apart before attempting to turn that on. I have a nagging suspicion that it might have a mouse house in it, same with the air cleaner. I found one corpse in the headliner right at the edge, not sure how I missed that the first time I looked in with a flashlight when I first went to look at it, but it was staring me down yesterday when I was messing with things getting it loaded.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts