Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
I kinda wanna plant sod on it.

But seriously, I think if I lay a putting green on the flatbed that I could get someone who really likes to practice their short game to buy it.
how much sod would it take to get the truck to be carbon neutral? hmmm...

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
how much sod would it take to get the truck to be carbon neutral? hmmm...
I think at this point you'd have to cover it in sod and then park it in a forest and let it sit for a thousand years to get it back to neutral.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I've been super busy, aka working a lot, so things have been slow on all of my projects. I haven't gotten any further on things on this one, but here are a few pics of some things.

Here is the bench seat sitting on the flatbed (with kick panel covers sitting on it). Overall it's in pretty decent shape for a 40+ year old OE seat and has the typical wear on the driver's side. I'm going to try to clean it up a bit and then I have a Mexican blanket style seat cover to go on it to pretty it up.

Here is the nearly mint blue headliner I pulled from the JY the other day. I'm almost disappointed it isn't white so I can stick it in the Bronco. I had considered just upholstering it and putting it in the Bronco, but since I can upholster any old headliner for that purpose, I'll just go find another one in decent shape and do just that. Or make one from scratch which might even be better.

Here's the vinyl flooring sitting in the cab. You can see the extra length on the passenger side sticking up and the rear folding forward. I'm going to make some cuts on the front side and pull it up as far as I can before trimming the rear, if I trim it at all. I figure the less I can see under the dash the better. I also liked the card they stapled to it, just in case you're an idiot and don't know the textured, somewhat contoured to the floorboard under the dash side goes up and faces the front.

Here's my little project I started on the hood. I still need to take it down a bit more in the spot I worked on for a short while, but you get the idea. Hitting it with the wet scotch brite takes off the newer rust and shows the older, deeper red rust. To me it makes it look more like an old, well used truck than just something that's been rusting away in a field... like it was. Hopefully the rest of the rusty areas will turn out well. The doors are "brightly" rusted, so knocking the rust down a bit will make it not so in your face "hey I'm rusty over here". After that I think I'll try buffing the good paint and see what that leaves me. If I was gonna keep it I'd probably do something similar to what @cobrajoe suggested and I'd take the bad areas down to metal and prime it all one color and redo the bed in black and put some fresh wood on it. But I'm not keeping it, so that's not being done!

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,512 Posts
Aaaaand... the dealer script on the fender has North Dakota on it.
whats the name? just curious being my neck of the woods...um...plains.

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,512 Posts
ok...way up in the NE corner of the state near Canada. 250 miles or so away. Sure is a popular thing to do out here ... put those dealer stickers on.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
ok...way up in the NE corner of the state near Canada. 250 miles or so away. Sure is a popular thing to do out here ... put those dealer stickers on.
It may not be the original dealership it was sold at. I'm sure it could have been added later on in the trucks life if it was sold used at a dealer later on. It just happens to be fairly close to the DSO it was ordered from compared to where it is now. I know a lot of the old cars and trucks I see, especially in the 60's since I don't see much older than that in original condition these days, have metallic dealership emblems screwed onto them. I know the old '65 Coronet 440 I owned about 12 years ago or so had one on it's backside that I left on. Man that was a neat car, kinda wish I still had it, but then I think about all the problems that were surfacing and I don't regret letting it go at all. lol

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
So this project has been put on hold, like most of my projects lately. I've been firing it up every once in a while and letting it run for 10-15 minutes or so. I've noticed it doesn't like to fire easily after it sits a day. I'm not sure if that's because I don't have a lot of gas in the tank or if fuel is running out of the line and back into the tank or.. something else. I can drop a little gas into the carb and it fires right up and idles perfectly, but if I try to cold start it without doing that it'll just turn over without so much as a sputter. Odd. Other than that it runs fine.

I'm only comparing its operation to my other trucks and my F100 will fire up just fine even after a couple weeks of non-use with a few pedal pumps prior to turning the key. My Bronco would fire up just fine within a few days with the 750 Edebrock it used to have, but after that it'd need a lot of turning over to get it to fire as well. I'm just guessing that the 2100 the F100 has is the bee's knees or something. Who knows.

The front right tire finally gave out on me after I had been airing it up every week or two. It ripped out the sidewall. I had initially hoped to offload the truck with the tires that were on it, but that isn't going to be the case as they're all pretty dry rotted. I fortunately had a couple of gift cards (bday and work) I had forgotten about to Walmart and I bought a set of 235/75r15 Goodyear Wranglers for $154 after tax while they were on sale for $54 a piece, which will do just nicely. I still have yet to go pick them up and have them mounted. I'll have to remove the wheels off the truck and take them in to have it done as I'm not going to drive it in the way it is. The tires that are on the truck are 31's, but I think the 235's (29's) will do just fine as that's closer to the stock size from the 70's and with the 2.75 rear gear ratio the truck has it'll benefit with a little more oomph.

I may just use this truck for side jobs in the coming summer (taking stuff to the dump, etc.), but for now it's a storage vehicle for all my other truck parts while I slowly get it into proper shape. Eventually it'll get sold one way or another. Maybe the market on these 73-79 trucks will explode like the early broncos (yeah right) and I can sell it for bookoo bucks as my Vietnam Vet dad would say.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Enjoyed the read, thanks!

61 - 69 of 69 Posts