Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
It's been raining here a lot the past few days. I took today's rain delay as an opportunity to modify the new cab lights I bought way back. The openings in the housings for the light sockets are too small to use the factory sockets. They supply two sets of sockets with the housings, one being a complete harness and the other being just pigtails.

I really didn't want to cut up the factory harness even though that would have made things quick and easy if I had just used the set of pigtails. I instead was going to use a rotary tool and buzz the openings a little bigger, but then remembered I had a hobby knife set that used to be my grandfather's that he used for whittling wood. My mom gave it to me after he passed, so it's been more or less a memento for me as I'm not a whittler. It has a fairly large assortment of tips and they did the job. I took some pics, but I don't have them handy right now, so I'll post them when I get home.

I'll have to finish sanding down the rust on the roof of the cab before I mount them though. I suppose the rain would aid me with that mess. After I was done test fitting the new housings with the old sockets I went ahead and soaked all the screws on the remaining cab lights with some penetrating oil as they were pretty stuck the last time I was doing removal.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Here's the hobby knife kit and the blade I used for my little surgery.

Here's the new cab light opening.

Here's the original cab light opening. A wee bit bigger.

I opened it up a bit, but left the inside corners intact. It turns out that the original light sockets won't squeeze past them, so I had to knock them off to match the originals.

Ended up doing this x5. Nothing pretty, but they work. Nice relaxing hour of work listening to music and reading the forums inbetween cab lights.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Rust sucks. I wonder what I'll end up with once I start hitting it with the scotch brite. I bought some coarser stuff to knock it down faster before hitting it with something finer. Just need some warmer weather before I go out there for a while with a bucket of water. I bet this truck looked good when it was new with that blue paint and a styleside bed.

I have one broken screw and a few others that are being stubborn and I don't want to snap them. I've been soaking them all each night before I go to work after I play musical chairs with my trucks.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I got all of the old cab lights off. I wasn't able to get out the broken-off screw. I tried using a set of vise grips to grab a hold of it, but every time I tried turning it the grips just snapped off the screw.

Most of the screws that I put penetrating oil on required me to use a set of pliers inside the cab and then to unscrew them with a phillips. The screws thread into a nutsert and the nutserts were spinning with the screws. Anyway, I think the broken screw is rusted into the nutsert. I'll give it another try some other time and in the meantime keep hitting it with some oil.

Since I was out there messing with things I decided to strip the driver's side door of all the hard and brittle weatherstripping. I had to remove the door panel to get to some of it and unfortunately for me nearly all the spots for the fasteners on the door panel snapped off. I think most of them were broken prior to me even attempting my removal. I'll have to epoxy the tabs back together. It was something I was avoiding, because I know these old panels like to break a lot.

It appears the doors haven't been messed with too much, the original paper barrier is still intact as is the jute padding. Neato. I also found a couple of wasp nests along with many dead wasps, another reason I was holding off before cracking all of this open.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I was checking the oil the other day and noticed it wasn't quite as clear as it was after I had changed the oil. I don't drive this thing right now, so I found that odd as it doesn't get a lot of run time. I stuck the dipstick near my nose and took a whiff. Smelled like gas. Awesome.

I was thinking maybe it was a leaking carb. Does that theory sound reasonable? Carb leaking into the intake and then it works its way into the pan? I haven't touched the carb since I bought the truck, so I wouldn't be surprised if all the gaskets are shot. I need to verify which carb it is, but I'm pretty sure it's a 4350.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,872 Posts
It could be running too fat or possibly getting by the rings. Is it a high mileage or tired motor?
If it's dumping fuel like you think, you should probably notice it loading up at an idle.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
It could be running too fat or possibly getting by the rings. Is it a high mileage or tired motor?
If it's dumping fuel like you think, you should probably notice it loading up at an idle.
I can't even guess on the mileage, the gauge cluster has been swapped out at some point as this one is from an Econoline. I wouldn't say it runs like it's tired, but I don't think I've had it running quite tip top yet. It's not loading up at idle, like it doesn't bog down and I don't have to throttle it up to clear it out or anything.

Maybe it's just a really slow leak. No idea and I don't know how much fuel needs to get into the crankcase to make it look like it currently does. I popped the air cleaner off yesterday and every area with a gasket or seal was pretty wet and seeping everywhere.

My vote is the mechanical fuel pump membrane failing, dumping fuel into the block.
I'll definitely give that a look. I have a spare fuel pump from my old 460 that should be able to swap to this one. Wouldn't hurt to try it out.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Here's the carb's current state, kinda yucky. I'm going to order up a rebuild kit for it via Mike's Carburetor Parts and do a little cleaning and rebuilding I guess.

Tag says it's a 4350 according to internet searches and putting it (D7TE BLB) into the search bar over at Mike's it pulls this up, so I guess that's what I'm ordering for $43 + shipping. Search

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,872 Posts
That carb is going to need a real good soaking after you take it all apart.
Most of the new EPA friendly carb cleaners don't do $hit. I'd probably soak it for 24 hours in lacquer thinner and then rinse with boiling water.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
That carb is going to need a real good soaking after you take it all apart.
Most of the new EPA friendly carb cleaners don't do $hit. I'd probably soak it for 24 hours in lacquer thinner and then rinse with boiling water.

What I'm hearing is that I'm going to be spending a lot of time sipping on my Gentleman Jack.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,872 Posts
What I'm hearing is that I'm going to be spending a lot of time sipping on my Gentleman Jack.
You are finally starting to catch on........
WAIT! YOU STILL HAVE THAT SAME BOTTLE??????

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
You ARe finally starting to catch on........
WAIT! YOU STILL HAVE THAT SAME BOTTLE??????
Of course! I ain't no alchy. I'm drinking it more than the last bottle of scotch I had though.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Picked up some oil and a filter. The carb kit has been shipped and will arrive tomorrow. I won't be working on it right then, but I'll have things ready to go.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Carb kit arrived. I suppose I'll pick up some lacquer thinner as suggested by @cobrajoe and probably some sort of aluminum pan so I can soak and baste the carb like a turkey. Might actually be a good idea to start on the carb before I work on other projects, so I can let it soak over the weekend while I finish other things.

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Try to clean as much of the exterior before you take it apart and soak it. You don't want any dirt getting inside.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,512 Posts
The 4350 is from the Lincoln and Mercury 460's in the mid-to-late '70s. I used to have one, tried selling it on here, but along with everything else i dumped before I moved to Texas, it was 'recycled.' If you need extra instructions on adjustments, I have '70s Chilton manuals that list the 4350; just email me at [email protected], and I'll snap hi-res pics and send them to you.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
I appreciate the offer and will take you up on it if I get stumped with this carb. I haven't gotten to the carb yet as my day to day life is always changing on the fly.

They may have designed the 4350 for use on the 460 in Lincolns and Mercs, but the carb tag on mine designates that this carb was equipped on a truck as that's what the T in D7TE stands for.

Another thing that I hadn't considered is that the donor 460 I got way back when for my 460 swap came with a spreadbore adapter on it. What I thought was odd was that the intake on that 460 was squarebore and the dude had a squarebore Holley on it... but had a spreadbore adapter between the two. Weird. I kept the adapter because I figured I may find some use for it down the road, a "you never know" kind of deal.

Either way, if this carb doesn't pan out, I have the option of tossing on a squarebore carb on it. I was just trying to keep the original equipment on the truck was all.

The guy was apparently very fond of rtv.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts