Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
It's been raining here a lot the past few days. I took today's rain delay as an opportunity to modify the new cab lights I bought way back. The openings in the housings for the light sockets are too small to use the factory sockets. They supply two sets of sockets with the housings, one being a complete harness and the other being just pigtails.

I really didn't want to cut up the factory harness even though that would have made things quick and easy if I had just used the set of pigtails. I instead was going to use a rotary tool and buzz the openings a little bigger, but then remembered I had a hobby knife set that used to be my grandfather's that he used for whittling wood. My mom gave it to me after he passed, so it's been more or less a memento for me as I'm not a whittler. It has a fairly large assortment of tips and they did the job. I took some pics, but I don't have them handy right now, so I'll post them when I get home.

I'll have to finish sanding down the rust on the roof of the cab before I mount them though. I suppose the rain would aid me with that mess. After I was done test fitting the new housings with the old sockets I went ahead and soaked all the screws on the remaining cab lights with some penetrating oil as they were pretty stuck the last time I was doing removal.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Here's the hobby knife kit and the blade I used for my little surgery.

Here's the new cab light opening.

Here's the original cab light opening. A wee bit bigger.

I opened it up a bit, but left the inside corners intact. It turns out that the original light sockets won't squeeze past them, so I had to knock them off to match the originals.

Ended up doing this x5. Nothing pretty, but they work. Nice relaxing hour of work listening to music and reading the forums inbetween cab lights.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Rust sucks. I wonder what I'll end up with once I start hitting it with the scotch brite. I bought some coarser stuff to knock it down faster before hitting it with something finer. Just need some warmer weather before I go out there for a while with a bucket of water. I bet this truck looked good when it was new with that blue paint and a styleside bed.

I have one broken screw and a few others that are being stubborn and I don't want to snap them. I've been soaking them all each night before I go to work after I play musical chairs with my trucks.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I got all of the old cab lights off. I wasn't able to get out the broken-off screw. I tried using a set of vise grips to grab a hold of it, but every time I tried turning it the grips just snapped off the screw.

Most of the screws that I put penetrating oil on required me to use a set of pliers inside the cab and then to unscrew them with a phillips. The screws thread into a nutsert and the nutserts were spinning with the screws. Anyway, I think the broken screw is rusted into the nutsert. I'll give it another try some other time and in the meantime keep hitting it with some oil.

Since I was out there messing with things I decided to strip the driver's side door of all the hard and brittle weatherstripping. I had to remove the door panel to get to some of it and unfortunately for me nearly all the spots for the fasteners on the door panel snapped off. I think most of them were broken prior to me even attempting my removal. I'll have to epoxy the tabs back together. It was something I was avoiding, because I know these old panels like to break a lot.

It appears the doors haven't been messed with too much, the original paper barrier is still intact as is the jute padding. Neato. I also found a couple of wasp nests along with many dead wasps, another reason I was holding off before cracking all of this open.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts