Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

101 - 104 of 104 Posts

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,876 Posts
Maybe it was a race truck and benefited from the higher RPM's with the spacer. :p

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Finally got around to working on the carb a little. I can honestly say I was not looking forward to it.

Long story short, I snapped an itty bitty screw for one of the throttle blades on the primary shaft. I got a little ambitious and figured I'd strip it as much as I could and then that happened and I decided not to remove any more blades. I removed the primary shaft since that was the last screw (it's always the last one) and I'll attempt to remove the half of the screw that's stuck in the shaft later on.

Right now everything is soaking in lacquer thinner. I stripped it down further than I have pictures of, but here's an idea of the mess of parts I'm going to be dealing with. Once I realized there were three major pieces (my two barrels only have two) I knew it was going to suck to get apart.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hit up a local Advance / Carquest

Get it. Drop the entire thing in there (if you're replacing floats) and let it sit. I used to rebuild QJets years ago (people constantly ditched them for Carter / Holley because they didn't realize grabbing a used QJet from a 455 Pontiac and putting it on a 327 Small Block Chevy wouldn't work without tuning it). This was years ago - and the old guy who taught me a lot about wrenching had several 5 gallon buckets of this stuff. Works great. Will eat plastic over time though.

·
Registered
78 Custom 351M NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI Hedman Headers Magnaflow Muffler 4.56 Gears Grizzly lockers
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Hit up a local Advance / Carquest

Get it. Drop the entire thing in there (if you're replacing floats) and let it sit. I used to rebuild QJets years ago (people constantly ditched them for Carter / Holley because they didn't realize grabbing a used QJet from a 455 Pontiac and putting it on a 327 Small Block Chevy wouldn't work without tuning it). This was years ago - and the old guy who taught me a lot about wrenching had several 5 gallon buckets of this stuff. Works great. Will eat plastic over time though.
I may try that out.

I had a less than ideal setup for my parts soaking. I stuck everything in a 5 gallon bucket I had and then poured in the lacquer thinner. I know lacquer thinner is basically a concoction of solvents, so I put a makeshift lid on it so it wouldn't all disappear due to evaporation.

It's been blowing like crazy for the last couple weeks on and off. It was nice and calm when I tore the carb down and dipped everything, then I went to sleep and I woke up to a wind storm. My lid was gone and when I checked on the bucket before I left to work tonight everything had evaporated.

Oh well. I'm not one for setting a bucket of that stuff inside my house, but I'll have to find a better way to secure things. The wind is really pissing me off these days. I may have to set everything up again and place it on the flatbed under the tarp that's currently covering it, something to prevent the wind from ripping things away.

101 - 104 of 104 Posts