Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I havn't posted much her done alot of lurkin around though. Well here is the the dilemma, back in 05' He bought a new work truck a 2005 F250 Super Duty. Single Cab long bed and the 5.4(unfortunately) Well on the last trip through the mountains it started running lean and a tick coming from the right side of the engine. Had a couple guys tell us it was a lifter off and it could be smacking on a lobe of the cam shaft. We havn't gotten a real estimate yet but they are saying probably $2500 or more. Truck only has 111,000 on it, and the maintenance hasn't been the greatest but has been done.

He is not sure to buy a new motor to put in it, have this one rebuilt or sell for what ever he can and then buy an older pick up. With that he thinks all old vehicles need work and money poured into them. I know that if you know what to look for that this is not always the case. So what do you guys think we should do?

Thanks, Cody

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,443 Posts
if you thinks its a lifter work with that, until youre sure you need a new motor. Id try letting a quart of oil out of the pan and then adding somje diesel or kerosene and running that for 5 to 10 mins and then changing the oil and filter, that might clean out whatever is clogging the lifter. and if that aint it then try somethin else! i wouldnt give up on it unless its got big time destruction!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm ive never herd of that. Ill pass it by him and see what he wants to do. Could this all be making the CEL be on saying its running lean?

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
Hmm ive never herd of that. Ill pass it by him and see what he wants to do. Could this all be making the CEL be on saying its running lean?
no expert but if that lifter is sticking then the fuel isnt gonna burn right and that would cause a lean conditon i think, ive been wrong though.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Sure it didn't just blow a spark plug out a bore? Those modular motors are known to do that. :banghead

As long as he's not dumb and running high-viscosity oil (15W-40 or similar), I'm doubting the diagnosis; the lifters are pretty reliable.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Couldn't you put a vacuum gauge on it and look for a twitch of the needle. I may be wrong, but I think it would be noticable.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the spark plugs we bought them before we went on vacation but on the first one were positive that it was gonna ring off, so we decided to wait until we could prep it right. I guess that happen this weekend then and if the horrible ticking sound don't go away then we will start tacking some of the more involved steps.:banghead Thanks guys

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
On the spark plugs we bought them before we went on vacation but on the first one were positive that it was gonna ring off, so we decided to wait until we could prep it right. I guess that happen this weekend then and if the horrible ticking sound don't go away then we will start tacking some of the more involved steps.:banghead Thanks guys
heli coil sells a repair specifically for that. might as well do that to all the cylenders and see if it fixes it. if that is the cause though then the ticking could be from debris in the cylender.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeh I saw that, I also saw from a google search how to make a tool to get broken spark plugs out. I hate the triton motors!:cry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts