Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and looked at a '96 with a 5.8 and the E4OD. It has a 140,000 on it, and is kind of rough, but with a little elbow grease, it could still be a pretty nice truck. However, when I test drove it, when I put it into gear I felt a "clunk" as it shifted into gear. When I shifted it into 4-low, it made a bigger "clunk" even though I still had it in neutral, and then the same smaller clunk when I put it into gear again. Now, my first thought is that it is probably just a u-joint or may be worst case, something in the transfer case or rear end. My question is: will the tranny clunk like that if there is something wrong with it? I check the fluid, and it looks o.k, but definitely needs a filter change. I've never had an A/T in a truck before, so I'm in uncharted territory. I didn't put it in neutral to check u-joint play, but I did visually inspect them and they looked like they may need replaced in the rear driveshaft.

Also, I wanted to get your guys opinion on price. Like I said it is a 96, XLT power everything, 5.8, limited slip, CC, etc. Here is what I can see that it needs:

Hella-good cleaning inside and out
exhaust system
Rear window motor
Minor rust on one wheel well (looks like just surface, still solid)
Rear bumper and good size dent on the bottom of the passenger side rear fender.
U-Joint clunk?
missing one aluminum wheel
pulley on tensioner gone
inside door handle
probably give it a tune up while I'm at it
Has some Tar all over the rear gate and some on the window

The guy wants 2 grand for it, I offered him $1500, but he wouldn't budge on the price. I thought I would go back in a couple of weeks and offer him $1750, but he's going to have to deal a little with everything that is wrong on it.

Whatcha guys think?

Thanks for the help

mR

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh couple more things. It has the tow package on it, it needs front brakes, and I've got a couple of pictures:

If you look close behind the rear tire on this side, you can kind of see the dent.

Thanks again,

mR

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
From the pics it looks pretty clean inside and out like you said. I would say go back and offer him $1700 for it, considering how it looks. If he wants more than that...dunno if it would be worth it for $2000, but if you really love its what your going to have to pay. Anything wrong engine wise? Ever been wheeled?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the pics it looks pretty clean inside and out like you said. I would say go back and offer him $1700 for it, considering how it looks. If he wants more than that...dunno if it would be worth it for $2000, but if you really love its what your going to have to pay. Anything wrong engine wise? Ever been wheeled?

I don't think it's been wheeled or anything, it doesn't have the tires for it, and it's pretty clean underneath. I drove it around a little, it runs great and shifts smooth, but I didn't get to get it up to highway speeds.

How about the clunk in the drivetrain? Is that an indication of a tranny problem?

mR

·
Super Moderator
5,092 Posts
Here's how to test if it's a u-joint problem for certain. Take it for a test drive and get up to speed, like lets say 50 or 60. Then let off the gas (maybe in an auto, put it in neutral, not sure) and if suddenly there is a lot of thumping and vibrations, push on the gas and see if it goes away. If it does, it's the drive shafts (reason being because when the engine is applying torque to the wheels, the torque keeps the drive shafts from wobbling.) A reputable shop should completely rebuild them from one end to the other for about $150 a piece.

The clunks do sound like driveshaft/ujoint problems to check that first. If that's it, you have an easy fix.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2 grand is fair. A 96 with MAP and 140,000 2 grand is under market price IMHO.
I was thinking that too, but if I've got to put a grand in it just to make it roadworthy again, I'm not sure if it is that good of a deal. Hmmm...

mR

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
U live here in Memphis?:beer
No, memphisrain is just a name of a band I used to be in. It comes from the movie "Gone in 60 Seconds." Memphis Rains was the main character, played by Nick Cage.

I talked to a friend of mine that knows the F-Series pickups like the back of his hand, and said he thought the clunk was probably the spider gears in the rear end. He said he's seen a couple of F-150's and his bronco have the same problem. I guess it must be a somewhat common problem with the 8.8 rear ends.

Any other input would be appreciated!

mR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts