Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just fell victim of another goose chase.

After talking to a guy about his bronco all week & a lot of photos to go with it I scrounged together the $, borrowed my wife's new F150, my buddies race car trailer & headed out almost 200 mile each way to BUY this MINT CONDITION* bronco.

This truck had all new sheet metal, new suspension, interior was leather & in great shape & is in MINT CONDITION*. The guy is member of a group that I am in but a different reagin, so hell I trust this guy, RIGHT?

Well after hours on the road, $$$$ in gas & a soar a$$ I arrive & boy I can already tell I have been had. The sheet metal was new, but nothing lined up & the welds on the rockers looked like play-dough on a hot night. The first thing he does is opens the tailgate, lift the dirty carpet & shows me a 12"x8" HOLE> that is surrounded by 4" of rust in every direction. Heat sinks, I tell the guy I really wish he had told me about the hole, because I do take my best bird dog (black lab) every where I go I I can't have him falling out the back. The guy responds with "Kennel him, the kennel can't fall through there". Why would I kennel the dog up to go 5 minutes up to the store with me or 10 minutes down to the lake?

Well then I look at the underbody, I swear I was told that there was all new "stock" springs, shocks, & brakes. Everything is rusted to the heavens. I ask the guy about it & he replies "I bought them new & put them on, there just not pretty". No they are rusted & un-trusted Never have I seen such a bad suspension on a truck that supposedly has spend the last 3 years in storage during it's "restoration". So I figure what the hell maybe it gets better & might just be worth something. The windows all squeal, the airbag light goes on when you turn on the turn signal, PULLS HARD to the right, when you left off the gas the truck slows down like your standing on the brakes, & there is no coolant in the truck NOT A DROP.

I forgot to mention the "nice leather you'll be surprised by the interior" well I was, it looked like a pack of raccoons were living in it & the leather under the wal-mart seat covers was destroyed. When I ask him what happened I get a shrug & a response somewhere between what happened & I don't have a clue. I'm told again that "the seats were fine when I had it in storage". I tell him the interior is no where near what was described to me, & I tell him I would not only need to fix the floor but put a whole new interior in it too. This is not what was promised, he tells me it is just a little dirty, no sir that truck is SOILED.

This is a truck that was $3000.00 I was old that it was a $5,000 truck but sense we were both members of the same club he would cut me a deal.

I offered under $2,500 (about $900 too much)& the guy passed, as I drove home I thought to myself thank god he did because I could just see this one eating fifties while sitting in the driveway all summer long.
He called me as I was on my way home & said if the other 6 offers he had didn't take it for $3000 he would sell it to me for $2,600. I mean do you really think I'm going to drive 400 miles round trip again when there is a decent looking Rig in my neighborhood that just needs rust repair for the same price?

Just had to share my adventure with you guys because I know that we all have gone on the WILD GOOSE CHASE.

*Mint condition is an expression used in the description of pre-owned goods. Originally, the phrase comes from the way collectors describe the condition of coins. As the name given to a coin factory is a "mint", then mint condition is the condition a coin is in as it leaves the mint. Over time, the term "mint" began to be used to describe many different items having excellent, like-new quality.

I will say I have driven over 1,200 miles round trip before to pick up a bronco, also I have done a 800 mile & a couple in the 5-600 mike range. And I have never been presented with such a hunk of junk upon arrival. Why waste my time? Hell if your going to drag me that far from home & you know your bending me over before I hit the road why don't you just bush whack me when I pull in the drive way? oh wait you would have another body sitting on your property that you would have to B.S. someone about :haha

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
That sucks ! Good man for not buying a truck that is worth MAYBE $800 bucks tops...............

I LOL on peoples VERSION of MINT !! my dad is one of those idiots, ALL is rides are pure shit, get hosed daily. best part he is a ASE/A&P mechanic !! I call it blind to the fukin obvious !

I have never, ever got taken on any of my rides, FACT. I can see crap from 100', no BS ! (guess poor credit & zero cash helps the urge to buy shit)

Was 41 when I bought my first 4X4 :p

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
A wile back i went to pick up an explorer which was listed on craigslist. (3 hours drive away) when i got there with the car trailer, it wasn't as they described at all. NOT AT ALL.. it was a little rough, that would have been fine, but it was destroyed.. the insides were ripped apart, every last bit.. thrashed.. the body was full of dents and not straight etc. so i just left.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scoop, the group is the largest conservationist group in North & South America for hunters & wet lands if that helps ya out.
I only offered $2,500 to see what kind of bs I could get. I'm not the reporting type of guy but we do have an expo coming up on 5/1 (no not JBG) here in MI & I do plan on attending, if he's there I think I will give him some sh*t about his p.o.s. truck for sale in front of some people, you know give him the "business"

I'm with you Pro, I have never been taken for on a truck/car or anything that costs me more then a weeks pay. But like I said the pics & description were all of a mint truck.

I should have never sold my last bronco, never!!!!!!!

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
I would not have been happy at all after making all the plans and driving that far to be let down. I am sure you will find another bronco that is in good shape soon enough.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Nut & Z, it is very disappointing & not fun coming home & having to explain to your wife you just drove for hours & wasted time & gas to come home empty handed. Then of course she once again (for the maybe 100th time) asks "Why do you want a Bronco again?". Thats when you feel like the real fool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts