Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Government has bought Bronco for all sorts of different areas of service. Whether it is border patrol, military, local fire departments, forestry departments, the Bronco has seen use all over the place.

My 96 Bronco was sold at a Government auction, but I don't know where it came from. I was wondering if any one else picked up on from a Government auction, and if they knew any information about how their's was used.

Th guy who sold me the Bronco tried to say that the some of the Government auctioned Bronco has upgraded electricals. How would one tell?

I want to know where I could look so that I could find out information for myself rather than take his word for it. He was wrong on other information that he told me about my Bronco.

96ProjectBronco

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
i got one like that. The state takes pretty good care of vehicles i dont know what the PO did to it, but it wasnt good. there are some electrical stuf fun there updated? nightmare morethan likely..lol i can tell where i once had a prison cage, and lights and shit like that

ken

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was told that mine was an ex-military police vehicle. There had been a winch on the front, and radio equipment in it. The back of the rear seat shows that there was a heavy metal mesh that was in the back for years. I really don't know. I would like to know if I did a search of the VIN with carfax if it would tell me anything or if I would just be wasting my money.

PO is what? Post Office? Parol Officer? POlice?

96ProjectBronco

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
96PROJECTBRONCO said:
I was told that mine was an ex-military police vehicle. There had been a winch on the front, and radio equipment in it. The back of the rear seat shows that there was a heavy metal mesh that was in the back for years. I really don't know. I would like to know if I did a search of the VIN with carfax if it would tell me anything or if I would just be wasting my money.

PO is what? Post Office? Parol Officer? POlice?

96ProjectBronco

PO=previous owner.

as far as a crafax goes it will not show you the history of the vehicle while it was in the military. Another note is i dont recall military using broncos, i have only seen blazers.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The charging system and related wiring SHOULD have been upgraded on a government use Bronco.

There is the light bar(s), radio(s), augmented interior and exterior lighting, jumper cable hook up, wench????

I would think the alt should be a minimum of 130A 3G.....and with upgrade to the alt to battery wire.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Six years in the marines and never saw a Bronco on any base. Police. Maybe the National Guard??????? But I doubt it. The K5's have an upgraded alternator and usually a cheaply put together light setup that 1000's of completely untrained "mechanics" got into at some point or another. Our vehicles usually have major electrical problems if they have any. You won't have much luck searching the trucks history unless you figure out who had it on your own and try to get ahold of their PM sheets. PM= Preventative Maintenance. Its a list of things the vehicle may be equipped with that your "mechanic" would have been checking monthly and turning in to his supervisor. Those installed items may have been installed factory, but we usually put them in ourselves as the need comes up. Especailly radios. You may find you have posts(negative and positive) on the framerail of your truck if your lucky. They're installed on some military police vehicles either to be jumped, or jump other vehicles without having to open the hood. Who knows. Go over it with a fine tooth comb.
I've done more donuts than Bigfoot in military vehicles....hope you're ready to replace a few parts.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Mine was a CHP truck. It has holes in the pillars (inside only) where the hand light used to be. They filled in the holes on the body before selling. It also came with the typical bumper (big) with the push bars and also a warn winch....:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
my 95 xlt was a forestry rig. there is a guy locally who goes to auctions and brings back tahoes, f150's, 250's, jeep cherokees, etc. and all forestry green. mine is an xlt which he
said he did not see to many of coming out of gov svc. must have been the boss's truck...

·
Registered
136 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
PO=previous owner.

as far as a crafax goes it will not show you the history of the vehicle while it was in the military. Another note is i dont recall military using broncos, i have only seen blazers.

AF Security Forces (MPs) used Broncos for on base patrols and thier K9 units. They've pretty much gone to the Escapes now.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
RABB1T said:
AF Security Forces (MPs) used Broncos for on base patrols and thier K9 units. They've pretty much gone to the Escapes now.

Where at? I have been in the militray for 11 years and 5 of them were in fleet management(the people who buy the vehicles for the base) and there was not even a vehicle code for the bronco, much less the escape. There was always 350's, blazers, tahoes, and dode ram 1500s. I know this cause i was specifically looking for broncos one time

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'll have to get with our vehicle guys here at McConnell and see what they can pull up. We had them here forever, and they had them at Shepperd as well. IIRC, Whiteman may have had them also. They were painted blue, with the Security Police logo on the side. We've got the Escapes here at McConnell now.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I rode in one on Andersen AFB (the front seat) a little over two years ago. They were changing over to Expeditions as well. The Expeditions were lease vehicles too!

Anywho, I recently saw a MA state patrol Bronco at the Logan airport, so they're still in service. It had a winch on the front, light bar on top, and a very clean body/paintjob. Wish I had a camera, because it was sweet!

·
Registered
52 Posts
AFPD (Armed Force Police Department) in Guam used the Bronco's, trust me on this one. I spent a year driving them. Quite a few years back (1985/86)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
borgker said:
AFPD (Armed Force Police Department) in Guam used the Bronco's, trust me on this one. I spent a year driving them. Quite a few years back (1985/86)
They must have bought new ones along the way too. I saw the '92+ body ones there.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I was stationed at Pope AFB, we had a few of them, I was in the 14th ASOS we had all kinds of vehicles, but none of them were SP used tho. I really can't remember was done under the hood if anything. I just know they had BFG All Terrain 31s

·
Registered
83 Posts
All thay have at Hill AFB are Expeditions, but alot of the Sherriffs in rural counties here in Utah drive either older Cherokees or Broncos. I have dibs on a Bronco when they upgrade in a few years.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts