Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much??
All 4 shipped came out to be like $53 which is like $20 more than if I would have went to a local shop and had regular grade bent up in person. But that wasn't an option anyway since it seems like every shop that I would normally go to only has very minimal daytime hours that conflict with my busy work schedule.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Is that for a stock 8.8? With what leafs in there?

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is that for a stock 8.8? With what leafs in there?
These were for my Sterling 10.25 under F-350 leaf packs with an AAL.

The smallest diameter u-bolt listed that comes in grade 8 is 5/8" which is larger than the through holes on a stock 8.8 spring plate.
If they were to have 5/8" diameter u-bolts bent for an 8.8 axle tube's diameter (which I doubt) you would have to bore out the holes in your spring plates to make them fit.

How do I know?
Because my dumbass started boring out the holes in 8.8 plates before I realized that I had the plates for the Sterling all along :doh0715:

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I was afraid of using the stock spring plates with the torque a 3/4" U-bolt would need so I cut these out of some old 1" plate I had laying around.

I know its overkill but its what I had. Plus it made me feel cool.

·
Registered
805 Posts
The smallest diameter u-bolt listed that comes in grade 8 is 5/8" which is larger than the through holes on a stock 8.8 spring plate.
If they were to have 5/8" diameter u-bolts bent for an 8.8 axle tube's diameter (which I doubt) you would have to bore out the holes in your spring plates to make them fit.
I found out the hard way that mine didn't fit either. I ended up ordering spring plates from RuffStuff because of it. Gotta love having a reason to upgrade.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was afraid of using the stock spring plates with the torque a 3/4" U-bolt would need so I cut these out of some old 1" plate I had laying around.

I know its overkill but its what I had. Plus it made me feel cool.

Haha yeah man I don't think that those are going to bend anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found out the hard way that mine didn't fit either. I ended up ordering spring plates from RuffStuff because of it. Gotta love having a reason to upgrade.
You mean that you tried using 5/8" u-bolt with an 8.8 plate?
If so you could have just bored out the holes like in my pic above.
They only needed to be opened up a little bit even though the center-to-center distance of each pair of holes is slightly narrower.

·
Registered
805 Posts
You mean that you tried using 5/8" u-bolt with an 8.8 plate?
If so you could have just bored out the holes like in my pic above.
They only needed to be opened up a little bit even though the center-to-center distance of each pair of holes is slightly narrower.
They fit through the holes on my stock 8.8" plate. The issue was the holes weren't far enough apart to clean the leaf springs with them. (I had 2.5" wide 2wd springs, because my truck was originally a 2wd)... When I found out that they wouldn't fit, without redrilling, I figured it'd be time to go ahead and install my Sky-Manu shackle flip and some 3" wide leaf springs. One thing let to another, and now I'm completely redoing my entire rear suspension, my rear frame has been stripped and painted, and my pickup no longer has a bed. :rockon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts