Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a question for you guys! I have a 94 Bronco, with the stock Air Bag. The only years that the 92-96 bronco didnt have a Ab was 92-93 right? Grant Sells a install kit for the 92/93. I really want a new wheel, and i could care less about the airbag. Has any one switched there 94-newer bronco to a wheel of this type? Do you guys think the 92/93 kit will fit my 94's colomn(with the install kit)? Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
i believe its illegal to remove an air bag that came stock on a vehicle and if you have inspections it might not pass. thats a lot of time and money to waste if thats the case. Personally i like the grant wheels and want one myself but havent shelled out the doe for it.

good luck
late

·
Building gold from crap
2,253 Posts
i looked into that a bit when i had my 94. while they dont make a install kit that they advertise, you can swap wheel, but i never got into how. if you call grant, maybe they can help, just tell its not driven on the street or some other crap

·
Registered
562 Posts
You need to be concerned with your insurance in the case of an accident. If you remove the airbag, they may deny the claim, as well as it possibly being illegal.

I wanted to install one of the Grant's on my '96, but decided not to chance the insurance issue.

I ordered a new-in-box OEM wheel from ebay instead.

·
7,830 Posts
sure it doesnt need to be operational but still needs to be there. thats like here in oregon you dont need a windshield but must have windsheild wipers, how does that work hehe?

·
Banned
482 Posts
I've seen it done before. Your correct 92-93 had no air bags and 94-96 had air bags. The only thing I don't understand is what about the cruise control buttons. How would you set the cruise control with an aftermarket steering wheel if there are no buttons? And besides it's only illegal if you get caught!

·
7,830 Posts

·
AKA Joe
1,109 Posts
I am planning on a nice billet wheel when I have an extra few hundred doing nothing in my pocket . From what I was told the steering shaft is the same as the 87-91 so you need an adaptor for those years .

As far as legality it does not have to be there for it to pass inspection . As far as insurance goes I am not sure but I am screwed if my insurance co. looks at my truck no matter what .

·
OMG IT RUNS
528 Posts
I've seen a lot of people do it with their Mustangs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
you can still get insured you don;t get a discount for a airbag(you pay more)
when you pull your airbag out the dam light starts blinking i don't know if it matters or not though. :thumbup

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks....

Cool, thanks guys. I was going to do it, and you can use a 92-93 adaptor if you want (i called up Grant). But I totally forgot about the airbag & insurance issues, thanks for bringing that up! Thanks again.

·
AKA Joe
1,109 Posts
I had an accident with my bronco at stock height ( knocked down a 12" round tree ) and the stupid airbag never went off . When I got the truck back from the body shop the first thing I did was disconnect the airbag , because I didn't trust it .
You can't take the bulb out of the dash or a buzzer will run constantly , so I took the bulb painted it with black permanent marker and the painted the spot on the dash the same way . It has been 3 years and still can't tell the light constantly blinks .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts