Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the 4 rubber cups called that hold the grease on the steering linkage? Mine are all busted open and I would like to replace them so I don't have to grease the points every month.

Thanks.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
They're just "boots" or "tie rod end/ball joint boots". Nothing special about them

Replacing them after they're gone isn't going to do much if you've been missing them for long. Dirt will have already found its way into the joints and ruined them, in which case replacement will be necessary shortly.

FYI: replacing the boots will NOT absolve you from needing to grease the joints regularly. If you've been greasing them every month because the boots are gone, you'd best replace the linkages soon.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
If your boots are shot, you likely are due for new parts, not just a boot.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,192 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

JBG has some cool red ones for $5 a set too. The tie rod ends seem OK so I'll just replace the boots and see how it goes. I want a lift in the future anyway with superrunner steering or something similar.

It looks like they busted because someone put too much grease in them and they split.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put the new dust boots on today. You guys were right about needing to replace more than the boots. i don't know how loose the ball joints should be, but 2 were very tight and jerky, while the other two were alot smoother but still stiff.

At least I got a new tool today. 16" tie rod separator from Harbour Freight - $4.99.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts