Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. I got a 95 bronco, 5.8l. It is great and has lots of power when I am running around town but when i get on the highway, it can barely hold 80 kph going up the slightest hills. I have done plugs, wires, cap and rotor, filter, egr valve and o2 sensor, fuel pump and filter are new too. It has 33's with 3.55 gears and I have done headers with full dual exhaust. I can't believe that this is all that I should expect from it, but I have no idea what to do next.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
With the full exhaust I assume you did cats as well? Run a can of sea foam through it? Oil changes regularly? Injectors okay?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the cats are gone out of it, and all i got from codes was the egr valve, and gas milage was bad so I did the o2 sensor. Other than that it gets an oil change every 5000 km. I haven't pulled the injectors but i have ran injector cleaner through it 3 times in the last year!

·
Registered
554 Posts
"It has 33's with 3.55 gears"

sounds and looks like you need more gear. I was looking at a chart on gears and tire size and to get the trq./power band in the stock rpm range/feel you need at least 4.11's, and 4.30's would prob be better. To get the "performance" feel you could go up to 4.56's and still not be too bad.

My truck with 31's and 3.55's is a dog on the hwy and slightest hill and end up with it in D more than O/D. Around town its great though. Granted I have a 302 but the stock 351 is not rated at much more power/trq. stock for the C.I.D. diff. from the 302.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 300 in my Bronc with 33's and 3.55's, i have no prob on highways, hills or both put together, although I've heard the I6 has a better bottom end than the 302 or 351 but I dunna, but the combo of 3.55s and 33's has never ran me into problems.

G

·
Definitely needs some higher gears. My acceleration is sluggish too, 3.55 with 31" tires. If I go to 33 or high, definitely gonna see about regearing to 4.56.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I run 31s on 3.55s with no problems. I don't know that jumping to 33s would make *that* big a difference. Sure, it'll make a difference, but he's saying he can't hold 80 KPH on some hills. That's only 50 MPH. 2" of tire won't cause that.

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,013 Posts
i run 35s with 3.55s:brownbag and i can hold 65-70mph going up hill(more than 80 kph...duh)( and a hill... not a mountain) just a regular stock 194,000 mile 351 with auto in my 93.... at 50mph i still have passing power.... it is a dog off the line and i know my trans hates me... i just have to spend money on other things at the moment... but i would think yours should do better than that

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
:stupid

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
Agily00 said:
I have no problems with the 3.55's and 33's Plenty of power.
The poster didn't state what altitude he's at. When I did my lift and 33's moons ago in Denver, it sucked azzz with 3.55's. 4.10's helped a lot, and made a world of difference after coming back down to sea level. I'd say all around you have to have 4.10's with 33's, and if you're ever thinking of moving to 35's just get 4.56's.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm with everyone that says you need new gears. If your only running 50 mph, i'd use only 3rd gear, that will probably help quite a bit, and actually bump your mpg up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i'm running 35's and the stock gears with the 351. i drive on the highway at 55mph with the overdrive off. truck pulls 2,000 rpms like that. 4.56 gears are definately in my future. :toothless

1 - 15 of 15 Posts