Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well not really blood...Brake Fluid! I hadn't driven the Bronk in awhile (week or so) and I was moving it around because we are expecting some snow :chili: So while backing up into the driveway the pedal presses straight to the floor...I think "That's odd, let me do it again" it goes to the floor again so I get out and low a behold at the drivers side rear...a pool of brake fluid. I'm not sure where the break is (yet) hopefully just the line off of the T down to the wheel (I assume that's how these are set up...haven't actually looked yet).

Just bitter that it's gonna snow...and my Bronco will be laid up...yet again!!!! :cry

Anyway, how much of a PITA is it to change out the lines...I'm guessing I'm gonna just do all of them, while I'm at it!

Thanks

:brownbag

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All right...it looks to be leaking from on top of the frame rail. I'm dressed right now, so I can't get out there are get a good look, but It looks like you have the main "incoming" line that goes to a connector and then feeds both break lines (left and right) along with a vent line. That main line "appears" to connect through the frame (Correct?) If this is the case then I think I blew the main line (or at the very least the frame connection) Anyway, this isn't what I needed right now....

It's butt cold, gonna snow, and my garage is full of crap cause I'm finishing off the basement!

If it's the main break line...what's that like as far as repairing? Cause I don't think it's the lines to the wheel.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,583 Posts
Are you sure its a line and not one of your wheel cylinders that puked out?

edit...Scratch that if it's leaking from over the frame rail, it's definitely not a wheel cylinder.

·
Are those REAL?!?!
1,702 Posts
it's not TOO bad to do... just having to bleed them is the pain... unless you have a power-bleeder... but anytime it's cold out, sucks to be under a vehicle...

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,033 Posts
93BroncoXLT said:
All right...it looks to be leaking from on top of the frame rail. I'm dressed right now, so I can't get out there are get a good look, but It looks like you have the main "incoming" line that goes to a connector and then feeds both break lines (left and right) along with a vent line. That main line "appears" to connect through the frame (Correct?) If this is the case then I think I blew the main line (or at the very least the frame connection) Anyway, this isn't what I needed right now....

It's butt cold, gonna snow, and my garage is full of crap cause I'm finishing off the basement!

If it's the main break line...what's that like as far as repairing? Cause I don't think it's the lines to the wheel.
Well, you might get lucky. It sounds to me like you sprung a leak where your soft line (that feeds down to the connector on the axle) meets the connection right in a corner by the frame and a crossmember (which is actually what the connector is in). At that connection it switches to hard line for the run forward along the frame. My guess is the leak is at that connection. Get up in there and take a look. I doubt your hard line has a leak, but rather the connection is leaking, or the hose right up at the connection is leaking. If the connection itself is leaking, they do make a flaring tool to repair. would suck to have to replace the hard line forward.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
If it is the hard line they are easy to fix. Just get the right diameter and the length close to what you need from the parts store and bend where you need it and thread it right on. I've even made repairs with compression fittings, worked great but not legal everywhere. (legal in VA but not in MI)

·
Registered
132 Posts
just cut the damaged part of the hard line out and clamp some rubber hose to the hard line to repair it.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Euclid said:
jeez, people around here. I'm not ignorant! All I want is a good laugh or two. :(
93BroncoXLT

Sorry to hear that, but no happy ending here, it's the hard line just on top of where it goes into the hose junction on the frame rail. Chances are good it's at the 90 degree bend, had the same thing happen to me last summer on my 86.

Do yourself a favour and get the hose too. Also, for heaven's sake take the hose outta the box and demand/buy a second circlip as the square stock style retaining clip is bound to be rusted out so bad you won't be able to re-use it. The second one is so you'll have another and know the size of it, for when the first clip enevitably flys off into garage never never land, never to be seen again.

Major caution here******** You will not find a pre-fitted line with both the larger fitting, for the union under the master brake cylinder, and the smaller standard union sized fittings found everywhere else on the truck!!!!!!!!!

You must undo the larger front union line and save the bigger fitting to put on a new line, that will also have the smaller standard fitting to get you back down to regular again. BTW the union under the master cylinder is a real treat to reach from underneath, luckily I've got long arms.

I don't trust my own double flaring abilities so I took a sewing tape measure and figured out how long a line I needed to get down past the front frame rail and right angled inside it toward the back(ready for a union block).

Used my gas line tube bender for those 4 close together bends around the front frame rail. Try to re-use the plastic holding clip and do what you can to keep it from rubbing on the frame. I put it under the frame rail because I couldn't duplicate the bend to go through the frame rail slot, so close to coming off that union block under the master brake cylinder.

I think that first line was 20" and I cut off one of the small standard size fittings, slipped the larger front union fitting on and had a mechanic buddy re-double flare the line end.

After that the hardest part of bending up the lines is making the 90 right into the top of the frame rail hose fitting, the rest is straight forward cold, dirty work all the way up to the union under the master cylinder. Think I used two more lines over the 20"er and, obviously, one more union connector.

Doing it in the Summer was enough of a drag, and coupled with your reminder, I'm going back under next Spring to do the front line over the the back of the crossmember before it blows on me too.

Good luck

Sixlitre

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.