Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may recall, and even fewer care :goodfinge , I've been a framer for a 3-man crew for several months now. The last few of those months, the bossman's been getting more scatter-brained than usual, and just been avoiding work (giving excuses for having to run into town, and not showing up again until after lunch, only to leave again shortly after), leaving us as a 2-man crew.

The final straw came, while we were building a deck for a client, after framing and still siding his house, and we were told we'd be getting a Christmas bonus, if we got the deck done by the 23rd. Naturally, the boss was gone again, all week. Now, mind you, we had two decks to build on this house, an 8 x 20, and a 19 x 50, with the larger one being built to accomodate a recessed hot tub. Yeah, we didn't meet the deadline. We COULD have, had the boss been there. Both of us told the boss that the promise was an unfair one, in an effort to make us work harder, knowing we wouldn't get the decks done anyway. He denied the accusation

I should back up a bit, and give a little more insight to the point of this - the other framer, Jerry, has an aunt and uncle that bought a large piece of property here (80 acres), and wanted Jerry to build the house (7000+ sq ft, single story) and shop (60 x 40). He couldn't, because he didn't have his general's license back yet (gave it up when he got divorced). So, the uncle's been trying to get ahold of the boss, to talk about the house. Boss, apparently, never seemed to be available. Uncle got impatient, and told Jerry that he's getting his license again (uncle paid for it... the dude's F'ing loaded). I had told Jerry, that if he got his general again, that I would follow him, if he can make me a lead man, and offer me more money. Jerry told the boss that he's no longer building the house. Jerry said he is, instead. "but you don't have a license" says the boss. "yeah, not only am I licensed again, I'm a licensed general, again" - boss is only a licensed sub-contractor

That weekend, Christmas day actually, the other framer called the boss, and quit. Scared, the boss came over that night, asked if Jerry had called me (he did), and asked if I was still with him. I was, until yesterday. I've been telling the boss, repeatedly, that I don't run 200mph all day long. That morning, Jerry called me while I was on the roof of this job I was on, and asked me if I was ready to go to work. "I'll tell him(the boss) this is my last day"

SO, not only am I a lead man now, but I'll be making 17/hr now (instead of the 11/hr I was making with the boss), and will have the job truck with me at all times (it's a 77 Chevy 1T, 4wd, CC, with a soon-to-have 8" lift and 39" DC fun countrys). I'm also responsible for the job trailer. We don't officially start the job until Monday, which is fine, since there are still things to take care of before then: do the brake job and lift on the job truck, and I have to weld in all the shelving in the trailer, for the tools and the mini-break room - which is doubly nice for me, since the shelving is all aluminum, meaning I get to learn to TIG, finally, and will have the TIG with me after this is done :twotu:

One more side note - the uncle has best friends, that bought the property next door to theirs :thumbup He's talked about building these two houses, and moving to Montana to "retire" (he has 162 acres, and a nice log home, near Missoula, bastard). After he does that, I'll be making DiamondBack a F/T business - I'm done looking for jobs

(yeah, I know, jerry-this, and jerry-that. He's a hell of a guy, to offer me everything he has, that's all)

During all this, I still have to finish brian's rear bumper/tire carrier order, as well as make a serious effort in getting Derrick's front leaf spring/crossmember built

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Congratulations. But to be frank, you were putting up with that crap for $11/hr!? I work in an air conditioned/heated warehouse doing monkey work for $10.25/hr (after 6 mo. another raise after a year, then another every year after that) plus benifits (very very nice benifits at that). If you enjoy that work, more power to you, but I wouldn't have put up with that from the boss for that kind of pay. Once you break 15/hr (or equivalent w/ benifits) THEN it's time to start accepting a little crap from the employer :toothless

Glad you're getting some decent pay now though! Good luck with it!

·
Engineer
13,167 Posts
Sweet deal, I hope it all works out

·
Registered
245 Posts
congrats :beer

been there putting up with crap for little pay done construction and worked in machine shops got tired of it all. Now I am a Sheriff's Deputy and have to put up with all that and politics. What was I thinking

·
Registered
13,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. The reason for the low pay is that central oregon doesn't pay worth a shit, for anything that's construction, or retail, related. Yeah, I'm still in construction, but it's building custom homes, and not production framing

·
Zombie Hunter
13,698 Posts
SWEET!

Always glad to hear of people getting better things in life.....makes that phone beer taste even better. I am truly happy to hear that you are going to be going to a job everyday that makes you happy, that makes working all that easier.

Sorry to hear about having to work on a Chebby though......

·
Registered
13,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys :thumbup If the chevy was actually in bad condition, I wouldn't bother, but it's a huge, clean truck, that runs pretty damn good. And lifting one of those things is the easiest thing in the world to do

·
Super Moderator
14,482 Posts
On other thing Dave, try staying in one place for a little longer this time..

·
Registered
13,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I can only be there for as long as Jerry's going to be in town, before he moves :shrug After this tho, DBMS is going fulltime

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
and the good thing is, is that with all the "custom" carpentry work you'll be doin, you could still pick up small jobs to keep you goin in the slow time. its what my friend Bill does when the car work slacks off. he does pretty good money wise pickin up a deck here or a bathroom there during the summer. he pays me $12/hr straight cash to work for him on weekends doin finish stuff, wiring,roofing, whatever.

I think you got yerself a damn good plan o' action Davey. Stick with it.

Joe

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
nice truck... Looks rather small :toothless

How are things going? Well I hope.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,203 Posts
davids78bronco said:
Figured I'd just post a picture of the "shop" truck - even tho everyone knows what a K30 CC looks like

i didn't know what a K30 CC looked like :brownbag, thanks david.

Good to hear on your pay raise and that things are going good.:twotu:

·
search, you #$%@! noob
10,000 Posts
david, your story is great! i hope you never look back. congratulations on taking the "leap" and i'm sure you aren't going to regret it. :thumbup

1 - 20 of 24 Posts