Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! New member from AZ here...

Been reading this forum for a while now and I've found a lot of good info in here.

I just picked up an '87 Bronc that I will be building up. This is my third Full-Size Bronco. I've had 2 '86's that I absolutely loved. Those two were in much better shape than the one I just got. This '87 is definitely a project... it's got a solid drivetrain with a tight 351W that has lot's of aftermarket goodies and a HD ZF-5 Spd tranny out of the older 3/4 and 1-ton trucks. It's currently got the stock 8.8 rear end, but I also scored a Dana 50 TTB (Although probably not worth anything for this build) a 10.25 rear end and a slew of other axle/drivetrain parts. Now for the bad... The body is fairly straight aside from a small ding here and there, but the paint is almost non-existent. The interior is thoroughly hammered and came sans carpet, headliner and various trim pieces. I just got done gutting the interior today and am still in amazement of what some people do to their vehicles!! :doh0715:

Anyhoo, I have a ton of great plans for this thing, starting with the interior. I am going to build a full cage, add some Corbeau racing seats, new carpet, headliner, sound system etc. The seating configuration will be back to back, with the rear seats facing backwards. This will enable me to make a nice subwoofer enclosure between the seats, and I have plans of dropping in a limo partition in there as well so that when I have the top off, I can use it like a pickup, where the limo partition will function as a rear window for the cab. I will also be building a custom fiberglass console and have plans to do a full custom dash as well, although that will be last on the priority list.

For the suspension, I really like the long travel wide prerunner TTB that AutoFab and Camburg have, but the high cost is holding me back for the time being. I'm also toying with the idea of an SAS... Since the suspension is 2nd behind the interior, it'll be a while 'till I'm ready to do anything with it, so I have time to assess my needs and wants there.

Last but not least is the exterior. I am going to sand it all down and flat black it for the time being. Plans are to run fiberglass pre-runner flared fenders front and rear, and a new hood. I'll build custom bumpers front and rear, with the rear having a tire carrier similar to what the Jeep guys have been running lately. Other items include roof racks, pre-runner style weld-on light bar, A-Pillar grab handles, etc. It will definitely have the Road Warrior look while in the flat black stage, but eventually, way down the road, it will all be covered in House of Kolor Kandy Kobalt Blue, unless of course I end up having way too much fun rocking the flat black!!! :rockon

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to being part of this great community and learning and sharing FS Bronco knowledge!!

Jason:beer

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey there, on my 2nd 86 FSB had a i-6 300 4 spd basic farm bronk and ended up selling it, dohh. then got this one with 5.0 and c-4 but I think I like the 4 spd better. looking into gutting everything and rebuilding all new. With a newer bronk interior and a ladder rack like a pick up (have to custom make that ofcoarse) and trying to customize a soft top since I live in Florida. also I would like to get some 60-40 split seats from a f-150, so I have a consule and still fit 6 passengers. I tried to get a visor shelf from JC Whitney but they only list ecoline(too long). could modify but might as well make my own if I am going to go that far. I think I have a pretty cool idea for suspension but will have to do some talking and thinking before I start welding:) right now I have a faded and slightly rusty paint so I will be sanding and I think going chocal grey and black( want to stick to the "Dark Side" theme). But until I get garage and funds figured out just wheel easy and look fer some cheap lockers:)

·
Registered
952 Posts
Welcome to FSB man!

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
welcome

1 - 16 of 16 Posts