Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try to start up my Bronco, she makes a grinding sound, and the electrical system shuts off some of the time. I have to jiggle the battery cable to make it go back. What could be causing this?
Should also mention that the engine isnt cranking when this happens. Could this be my starter?

·
Registered
331 Posts
kinda hard without hearing it myself but lets see... is it more of a clicking sound? if so it seems like your battery is weak or bad ground(if wiggling wires does something)? to me... grinding could be your starter needs to be shimmed. but that doesnt explain anything electrical..

·
Registered
331 Posts
thats assuming you checked and made sure all your connections are tight...

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I had a "grinding" sound it was a bad spot on my fly wheel, atleast thats what I was told. I think you can try to push your bronco while in park and it might move the fly wheel. I could be way off it was along time ago.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cleaned up my terminals a bit more, tightened them, and charged my battery more. She starts up.... Only did a bit of gas in the carb since it is late, and I know if I got her running tonight, id want to drive her.... with the 3" straight pipe that is on at the moment. She goes Glug glug glug, and not ROAR like I remember, but perhaps not enough fuel? I dont know, either way I am beyond happy right now.

And Crash, thank you so much for letting me trade for that steering column. You saved my truck :D

·
Registered
331 Posts
how long has she been sitting with that gas? it does get weak after time... you need a stabilizer for your fuel if its gonna sit... and youre welcome for the steering column.. one less thing I can trip over in my shop meow... hehehe oh and if youre missing any hardware for that there is a bag somewhere that sprouted legs that has gobs of bolts and stuff I collected from the donor truck that has some bolts from the column...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how long has she been sitting with that gas? it does get weak after time... you need a stabilizer for your fuel if its gonna sit... and youre welcome for the steering column.. one less thing I can trip over in my shop meow... hehehe oh and if youre missing any hardware for that there is a bag somewhere that sprouted legs that has gobs of bolts and stuff I collected from the donor truck that has some bolts from the column...
Fresh gas, just didnt have any in the tank. Wanted to make sure she would start up tonight. I have a neighbor who goes to bed early, would prefer not to wake up.

Nah, had all the hardware from when I popped off my old one.
This just means, I will need a radiator, exhaust (Unless I wait until the end of the year, so emissions will be gone for me), and air filter. :rockon

I have had my bronco for the last 6 years, and finally getting her back on the road.

Oh, and one more thing.... when I turn the key to crank, nothing happens. Having to do the old trick with a screwdriver on the solenoid. Just got the new Ignition Cylinder today, think it could be that?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts