Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i was going to work yesterday i noticed a grinding noise coming from either the transmission or the transfer case. What could this be? I was in 2WD at the time and the noise got louder as i put my foot in it. I did this a few more times to see if it wasnt just a fluke and it kept making the noise. I will be doing a fluid change and see if any metal shavings are in the fluid. Also what type of fluid should i run? i have a T18 4 speed and i believe an NP208. The pattern is:

2HI
4HI
N
4LO

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,122 Posts
I'm almost cerain its your transfercase. Its on its last leg. It can't handle the torque anymore, therefore its slipping and grinding. Drain the fluid and see what it looks like.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm almost cerain its your transfercase. Its on its last leg. It can't handle the torque anymore, therefore its slipping and grinding. Drain the fluid and see what it looks like.
If the tranfer case is going out what will the fluid look like? That means i would need a new chain and a master rebuild kit from JBG right?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to rive the truck around again today and see if i could figure out what the problem was. I dont think its the transfercase becaus the truck isnt acting like its slipping, its got a bit of a bog when i hammer on it but other than that it drives fine. The rattle went away if i grabbed the shifter and held onto it real tight but it gets pretty loud in neutral at any speed above 15 MPH and in 4th.

·
Registered
331 Posts
T18 is a manual tranny? if so, sounds like your clutch has had a come apart...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts