Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to improve my MTRs a bit. Used an Ideal Groover with a #5 blade.

The comparo...

Mounted up...

Considered leaving this pattern, but then figured why only go half way...

I've loved how the MTRs have performed overall, but they're getting a bit lower in tread depth after 4 years of trail runs and some street time with a spool. I expect all those new biting edges should be noticeable on the trail. Hitting Uwharrie National Forest on Monday, so there will be a report when I get back.

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All that work on a discontinued tire.

looks good though.
I thought the new MTR w/Kevlar wasn't replacing the old MTR, but just an addition to the goodyear line. If not, it looks like I've lost all the collector's item value of my tires now. Darn.

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts
I thought the new MTR w/Kevlar wasn't replacing the old MTR, but just an addition to the goodyear line. If not, it looks like I've lost all the collector's item value of my tires now. Darn.
Yup, the goodyears are long gone...:cry took me three months to find a good used one to match the other 3 I have.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
From what the Goodyear guys keep telling me is that they will still be available??? Maybe they will start to reproduce them after they meet all of the "new" mtr requirments???????

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
what does grooving a tire do?

·
Registered
41 Posts
i would be afraid to chunk them out on rocks. i know they would here. btw we can only get kevalars now and only the old style MTRs in 37s for out H1s.

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe it makes them quieter, and better in wet conditions
Siping does that. Just like what Tommy said above, grooving adds more overall surface area that just plain grabs better.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
When you groove tires, it creates double the lugs. The smaller lugs act independently like fingers and contour to rock faces better

I am currently helping get this truck ready for 4 wheeler magazine's Top Truck Challenge. He grooved his tires with a chainsaw lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwItiRI_iC0
ok, I can see how it gives more to grab on rocks, like you said, more fingers grabbing. Does it have an adverse effect in mud? or does it also help in mud?

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok, I can see how it gives more to grab on rocks, like you said, more fingers grabbing. Does it have an adverse effect in mud? or does it also help in mud?
The MTRs, like most mt's that aren't big-lugged swampers, are average at best in mud. Grooving creates even more spaces between lugs, which should help. That said, it shouldn't make them worse in the gooey stuff.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
1 more dumb question on the topic. Does this make the tires wear out quicker when driven on road?

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
1 more dumb question on the topic. Does this make the tires wear out quicker when driven on road?
Probably, but frankly most people don't groove a tire until it's about half worn out anyway. We all know how worthless a half-slick tire is off road, so this is really a way to get one more season out of a set of tires that should really be replaced. I'm eager to see how these work out on the trail...too bad John wussed out on wheeling this weekend...some nonsense about his wife being in labor or something.:whip

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
i guarantee it will work for what hes doing. i'm a big fan of grooving tires, especially since super swamper likes to make wear bars that kick in when you still have almost 40% tread left.

it does take time, but not as much time as you would think. you get into a rhythm and just go, took me about an hour a tire to do the last set of 40s i did, and my current set is due for a groove too.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
What I did and now I got great rock and winter tars:

I got three good runs on these and much street time with little if any chunking. I siped with the lugs rather across them at a 90. Cutting across the tire at a 90 degree angle cuts little knobs that are easier to tear off. I went around the circumference on each side to try to add some lateral traction since the dang corners are all worn down form aired down wheeling.

Good Job Johnski, you'll notice a difference!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts