Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at a set of hawgs, what are the thoughts on them?
I will use them on the road, light mud and twice a year on the dunes..

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
Im looking at a set of hawgs, what are the thoughts on them?
I will use them on the road, light mud and twice a year on the dunes..
They self clean pretty well due to the directional tread. They work great forwards, not so well in reverse. People say that in reverse they don't work at all, but its BS. Though they won't pull you out if you are greatly stuck, they will pull in reverse, they do have a decent lug void area so they clean some what well even going backwards.

They last 40-50k miles brand new on a full size truck if they are the bias ply's, if they are the radials the ride a ton better but the last only 30k instead. The bias plys are hard as a rock.

Also, due to the fact they are hard as a rock and have minimal siping they are horrible in wet weather and ice. I have a locker in the rear and I've almost soiled myself on 2 or 3 occasions. They can be studded for better snow/icy weather but still won't be great.

Also, in the dunes as long as you have enough horsepower to spin them, they work very well at blasting you around. Would make great sand racing tires if you go some power going to the wheels. Depending on tire size I would recommend regearing your truck.

Hope I helped, let me know if I can be of any more assisstance! :thumbup

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes thank you for the help. I did regear my truck to 4.88 when i did the sas in it. Im runing a HD 44 in the front and 10.25 sterling in the rear. I have been runing 38.5 boggers and i love em but they are getting pretty whopped out due to the road use. Also do you know how theyd measure up in actual height when they say 40s with id say 90% + tread?

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
yes thank you for the help. I did regear my truck to 4.88 when i did the sas in it. Im runing a HD 44 in the front and 10.25 sterling in the rear. I have been runing 38.5 boggers and i love em but they are getting pretty whopped out due to the road use. Also do you know how theyd measure up in actual height when they say 40s with id say 90% + tread?
My hawgs (40x17x15) measured out to 39" on a 15x12 wheel. A lot of people will BS you and say 37 or 38, but mine are a solid 39" when inflated with no weight on them (which is how they should be measured) and mine are about 85% tread.

Also the 38.5's really measure about 36.5-37" (they say they should measure 38 but it isn't so!) the 40's are a pretty big jump, 3 inches roughly. The 38.5's run really small. The 40's look like a 40.

Also, I've run with a friend that uses 38.5 hawgs and I bullshit you not, he just can't go through the same stuff. The 40" and 44" hawgs use a much larger lug void then the lower sizes. I'd definitely jump to 40's if you can fit them. Also if you check out my ground hawg cutting thread in the tires/wheels section you'll see i'm actually looking to cut mine soon into a v-tread type deal. I assume they'll perform about as well as a bogger.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202135

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,270 Posts
So can you buy Hawgs again or are you buying used ones.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
So can you buy Hawgs again or are you buying used ones.
Yes you can buy them, where though I'm not sure. Interco is making them, and I see blems appearing all the time on the blemish page, so obviously they are rolling off of the assembly line. Where they are going no one knows though...

·
Registered
221 Posts
My hawgs (40x17x15) measured out to 39" on a 15x12 wheel. A lot of people will BS you and say 37 or 38, but mine are a solid 39" when inflated with no weight on them (which is how they should be measured) and mine are about 85% tread.

Also the 38.5's really measure about 36.5-37" (they say they should measure 38 but it isn't so!) the 40's are a pretty big jump, 3 inches roughly. The 38.5's run really small. The 40's look like a 40.

Also, I've run with a friend that uses 38.5 hawgs and I bullshit you not, he just can't go through the same stuff. The 40" and 44" hawgs use a much larger lug void then the lower sizes. I'd definitely jump to 40's if you can fit them. Also if you check out my ground hawg cutting thread in the tires/wheels section you'll see i'm actually looking to cut mine soon into a v-tread type deal. I assume they'll perform about as well as a bogger.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202135

He's RIGHT on the MONEY... I got 38.5 and they are pretty good in Florida mud, not worth a shit in Snow.. They run about 36 1/2 " tall on the truck... If you can put 40's on it.. I would, thats what I wanna goto :thumbup

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea im running a 44 out of a 78 bronco in the front with all 8 lug outers and 10.25 sterling in the rear. I have been runinng 38.5 boggers and havnt had any issues with it so i dont think 40in ground hawgs will be much worse than the boggers. I am buying them used almost new the guy wants a smaller tire on his jeep

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think you'll be pleased with them coming from Boggers as they are more road friendly and last waaaaaaaaaay longer. Just remember to be careful on wet pavement, but that goes for any big bias ply tires.

·
Registered
66 Posts
never been a big fan on the hawgs. just not enough bite in the mud. but for daily use i dont see a problem

·
Registered
66 Posts
definatly take the hawgs over boggers to drive on. i love my boggers but i have a set of IROKS that stay on the truck unless im taking it out then the boggers go on

1 - 13 of 13 Posts