Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw some copper wire connectors with a half inch hole at the local lumber yard today and was wondering if I could use that instead of a copper plate to ground my antenna to my truck (it's on the tire carrier and isn't grounded very well). Someone here said they used a square of copper but I can't seem to find anything like that around here. I didn't know if that wire connector thing would work because I read somewhere that the signal "bounces" off the ground, or something like that.

Here's a pic of something similar.

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
That will work it doesnt need to be that large what it does is give your antenna a ground plane the steel in your truck becomes a reflector it reflects your signal up and away from your truck.:thumbup

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
78moneypit said:
That will work it doesnt need to be that large what it does is give your antenna a ground plane the steel in your truck becomes a reflector it reflects your signal up and away from your truck.:thumbup
That makes sense. Thanks.:thumbup

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
No problem if you have any other cb questions pm me I'm a recovering cb junkie:thumbup

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What gauge wire would you use? I have some 12ga but I don't know if that's a fat enough wire.

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
You can play around with different size wires checking your s/w/r every time see if it changes go with the wire with the lowest s/w/r reading that's the way to do it sometimes your s/w/r reading wont change at all with different ground wire sizes it your goal is to have the lowest standing wave ratio you can git- coax length- antenna length- ground plane- effect s/w/r readings.:thumbup12ga is fine.

·
Never ending project
1,084 Posts
Some cbs have the meter built in if not radioshack sells one not vary expensive.:thumbupIf you get a meter get a 3 foot piece of coax to hook the meter up don't go longer than 3 feat or it will give you a wrong reading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts