Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the junk yard today, I found a 1997 Ford Explorer, 5.0L V8. The VIN shows the Explorer's production date as Jan/07. While I'm expecting to learn that the heads are GT40 (based on the early production date), I don't yet know if the heads are GT40 or GT40P's; and, I don't know if the heads have the crossover ports.

This JY find catches me a little off guard because I'm not well enough studied on the subject to make an informed buying decision regarding what parts to purchase. So I'll just ask for your collective opinion.

I currently run a stock 1995 OBD1 5.8L. I want to retain emissions functionality. I don't want to see CEL's. I don't want to spend more money than is necessary on exotic parts. I'm looking for the most bang for a reasonable buck. I daily drive my truck, 90% in town, 10% easy off road. I enjoy long highway road trips, and like the stock gas mileage which is always 15 mpg plus. I have a light throttle foot and my normal RPM range is 1500 to 2200. I turn 1650 rpm at 55 mph.

Here are my current resources:

I recently bought a crate remanufactured .030 over long block 5.8 for my Bronco.

I can always use the reworked stock 5.8 heads as book ends...now that I found the GTs

I have a complete (disassembled) 1993 5.0 engine, including upper and lower intake. I've read that the 5.0 intake is an improvement over the 5.8; and, this 5.0 intake would retain stock emissions component locations and linkages.

Now that I've found this 1997 Explorer GT40 motor, complete, I have questions.

Maybe someone could just spell out their opinion of the best torque improving truck setup based on what I've listed so far.

Specifically, my questions relate to whether I should purchase of the entire '97 Explorer motor, including the ECM and harness; or, just the engine; or, just the heads and intake; or, just the heads. If not the whole engine, what about the cam along with the heads and the intake?

BTW, the JY quoted me 69.00 for the pair of GT40 heads and 42.00 for the intake. While I didn't get a quote on the whole engine, but I'm guessing the entire package could get expensive.

Could someone comment on the merit of using the Explorer block, including internals, as opposed to using the block I just bought. I'm willing to buy whatever cam I need in order to build torque and take advantage of the other parts I've listed; and, I'm willing to go OBDII and source an appropriate ECM if the Explore ECM isn't up to snuff.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Best bet is to un the GT40 heads on your 5.8. It's pretty much bolt on minus drilling holes for the studs out (I believe)

·
car ramrod
Irate4x4 .com
601 Posts
They are gt40s not gt40ps. You will need to get the headbolt holes drilled out to use them on your 5.8. If you are not using a roller block then you have to change out the valve springs aswell.

ANd the 5.0 intake will not work on a 5.8. The edelbrock intake is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Wait, did you review my Gt40 heads write up in the tech section. Everybody is guessing as to what you have and a 1997 can come with either ( Gt40 or Ps). Best bet is to review the front of the heads and look at the bars,B4 you make a offer. The price quoted is about what we sell them for down here minus a core.

On the cross-over, all head provide EGR port-runners. You will not find air-pump injections ports on a Exploder head ;) , so keep that in mind if your concern with air-pump attachment. If you need air-injection, plumb it down wind of the exhaust manifold is all that I can offer.

fwiw

Around 1997 and 1998, ford started doing some strange things. You can find GT40Ps with earlier intakes installed. Typically the Gt40Ps exploders came with the external EGR assembly and intersect the passenger exhaust manifold for it EGR flows. If you find one of these exploders, then it would most likely have GT40Ps.

I have a fresh pair of 1999 GT40P heads that I've had re-worked for a later project.

btw: here's the link to the Gt40 and gt40p review

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145609&highlight=Gt40

I probably have disassemble over a dozen of these ford trucks for parts over the last 6 years.
;)

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
The 5.0 intake does not fit the 5.8. The 5.8 uses a taller block which pushes the cylinders heads farther apart. Thus a wider intake. As for the heads search how tell the difference between the two and you will be able to ID them easily.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. I know the lower intake won't fit the 351. Was thinking fireguy runs a explorer upper on stock lower. I know how to I'd the heads once I get accessories off the engine. I know those heads are coming home with me, no matter what gt4o verion they are, and I'll make do.
I'm guessing I need to bring the complete intake home for an additional 45.00. I'm just not up to speed on intake options.

·
car ramrod
Irate4x4 .com
601 Posts
Ok. I know the lower intake won't fit the 351. Was thinking fireguy runs a explorer upper on stock lower. I know how to I'd the heads once I get accessories off the engine. I know those heads are coming home with me, no matter what gt4o verion they are, and I'll make do.
I'm guessing I need to bring the complete intake home for an additional 45.00. I'm just not up to speed on intake options.
You can use an explorer upper, but you need to use a lower from a lightning, which means $$$.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I have a Exploder upper if you want. It's even powder coated grey. The only catch is, I knock out the vaccum lines and was going to TIg weld theses shut and then re-thread the section near the throttle body similar to this one that I did earlier;

vacuum tree

powder coated

fwiw

The vacuum line attachment at the bottom are a PITA to work on and prone to cracking.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Without the lightning lower the explorer upper is useless. If they are gt40p's your gunna want to use the explorer egaust manifolds because headers for these heads are expensive and hard to find. I use a stock mustang upper on my 5.8 thanks to BC broncos adapter plate. Idk if it flows any better but it does look alot better.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
yes ditto that.

I would not use that unless you want to cut the tube at the flange and have a custom manifold made. Either way, you can find headers that works on gt40ps head and still give you access to the plug ( some what ), but either way it's going to be challenge getting to the plugs or the bolts that holds the headers onto the head.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
:stupid thats a good idea, but a lot of work
It's actually not that hard. A few aluminum dowels and a decent TIG welder. The hardest part is that of pull the metal tubes out of the upper. On that upper, I got smarter and heat the aluminum before pulling at fitting. And boy it has about 7 fittings/tubes on the bottom.

The tap was purchased from NAPA ( $7.00) and you will ned a few drill bits. You can drill thru the aluminum with ease and it takes about all of 10mins to tap the hold for teh FSB/LIGHTING vacuum tree.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Last time i priced headers for my b2 explorer 5.0 swap they were $500+ for tourque monsters. Ford racing stopped making theres years ago and are hard to find. So the stockers are your best bet if you dont have a big budget! If it wasnt for the high price of headers for the p's id have them on my 5.8 by now.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
terrible idea, you ever seen the stock Explorer exhaust manifolds?
Seriously, explorer manifolds are the stupidest manifolds I've ever seen. Due to a lack of space, ford just made each port flow into the next pretty much

This is the 96-97 style

Here is 98+

I've taken shits that were higher flowing then 5.0 explorer manifolds....

Last time i priced headers for my b2 explorer 5.0 swap they were $500+ for tourque monsters. Ford racing stopped making theres years ago and are hard to find. So the stockers are your best bet if you dont have a big budget! If it wasnt for the high price of headers for the p's id have them on my 5.8 by now.
The torque monsters are the only good ones, I believe FMS and JBA were the only other two and they weren't near as high flowing as the TMH's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts