Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading numerous threads on many different sites I still have a few questions regarding swapping in gt40 heads :whiteflag . Is it absolutely necessary to upgrade the cam when doing this swap? Is the swap even worth it without upgrading the cam. As it seems everyone is I am on a tight budget and I am not looking for huge gains in power or torque. Just looking to make small upgrades here and there to get the truck running better as I am coming up on the 200,000 mile mark. Plan is the put in gt40 heads with Trickflow Street intake and bbk throttle body. And also doing the 6litre tune up. Any advice? Or just answer to the cam question? Thanks in advance :beer

·
Premium Member
9,998 Posts
I would check out FSB member Cobra Jet regarding GT 40 heads, he has personal experience on this including part numbers for which parts will work, smog or no smog etc.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
446 Posts
No, it is not necessary to replace the cam.

You got 200k on the bottom end? I would be careful about "hotrodding" up the top end w/o
refreshing the bottom with that kind of mileage. TIFWIW.

Personally, I would be saving up for an overhaul.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Gville is right. I did a gt40 head and edelbrock intake, with no work on the bottom end and am regretting it. It added power but now I am worried about ring breakdown.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, exactly what I wanted to know. Glad I asked before diving into to it. I'll probably just do the 6litre tune up and ave up to do an overhaul once I have the time space and money do another engine rebuild. :thumbup I'll try to get some pics up soon to. :rockon

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
theres nothing wrong with collecting parts and putting them in plastic bags in the closet till the time is right. Get things as you can, eventually youll open the closet and a new engine will be in there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would check out FSB member Cobra Jet regarding GT 40 heads, he has personal experience on this including part numbers for which parts will work, smog or no smog etc.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup
does he have a topic on this I searched for a bit but didnt find anything

1 - 7 of 7 Posts