Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's well documented this is an upgrade that increases power but how much can expect from swapping the intake manifold only?

I'm either going to solid axle swap the bronco or buy an excursion. Leaning towards the excursion. This is a higher priority than building a motor right now. Anyway. I already have the gt40 intake. I tried to sell it but didn't have any bites so I'm swapping it with a single 70mm throttle body. Obviously I'll have to have my truck retuned after to get it running ideally.

My truck made 194/313 at the wheels with headers into a custom exhaust.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,422 Posts
This may or may not help you out. I know it's 5.0 vs 5.8, but he does go through various intakes on engines with different level of mods.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This may or may not help you out. I know it's 5.0 vs 5.8, but he does go through various intakes on engines with different level of mods.

It's close enough to help. I was expecting somewhere around 20 hp to be freed up considering I already have the exhaust side allowing it to breathe out. Also confirmed what I had seen about improvements lower in the power band.

The lightning only had 240 hp so only so much can be gained with an intake swap if the heads and intake are proven to only be worth 30hp in factory specs.

·
Registered
727 Posts
So how much gains could a '95 5.8L expect to see using Gt40 upper/lower intake, GT40 Heads, California street legal roller cam and some California street legal Headers if there is such a thing?

I don't race the Bronco around and am normally light on the go pedal. There are occations I'd like to get on it though. Getting on the hwy with short on ramps, racing around dirt tracks, passing vehicles on the hwy etc. I guess what I'm really wanting to know is this. Is it possible to gain power in all rpm ranges, maintain or improve fuel economy while still being able to pass a California smog inspection ???

This is a very interesting topic to me. Since '95 was OBDi does that mean the Bronco brain or computer does not share the vin number with the smog test computers as well as tuning etc? If OBDi reports the vin and tuning to the smog analizer then I'm wondering would it be possible to swop out the brain for a tuned brain. There has to be a way to get the electronics tuned by plug and play for improved power and fuel economy as well right? Even if it means changing out the brain box.

Perhaps I should start another thread to discuss this?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So how much gains could a '95 5.8L expect to see using Gt40 upper/lower intake, GT40 Heads, California street legal roller cam and some California street legal Headers if there is such a thing?

I don't race the Bronco around and am normally light on the go pedal. There are occations I'd like to get on it though. Getting on the hwy with short on ramps, racing around dirt tracks, passing vehicles on the hwy etc. I guess what I'm really wanting to know is this. Is it possible to gain power in all rpm ranges, maintain or improve fuel economy while still being able to pass a California smog inspection ???

This is a very interesting topic to me. Since '95 was OBDi does that mean the Bronco brain or computer does not share the vin number with the smog test computers as well as tuning etc? If OBDi reports the vin and tuning to the smog analizer then I'm wondering would it be possible to swop out the brain for a tuned brain. There has to be a way to get the electronics tuned by plug and play for improved power and fuel economy as well right? Even if it means changing out the brain box.

Perhaps I should start another thread to discuss this?
No idea about smog. I'm in the Midwest. You can definitely get more power from all the mods listed. Gt40 heads aren't with it unless you get a good deal on them and have them ported. The afr as cast heads are a better option. Or comparable without the headache and extra with. Unless you get a good deal on a gt40 intake or you're dead set on using one, the Edelbrock intake would probably be better. I just wanted the pretty lighting intake.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'm just looking to be able to use junk yard find bolt on's that look stock and won't raise a brow when getting smog inspections.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just looking to be able to use junk yard find bolt on's that look stock and won't raise a brow when getting smog inspections.
If that's the case try and find lightning manifolds. If I remember right they are factory shorties.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts