Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for a trailer and have never weighed my Bronc. With no top, tons, lots of steel/tube, 5 38's, 200lbs of tools/crap, 5.0/ZF I'd guess minimum of 6000#, maybe up to 6500#
Assuming I am accurate, would you haul it on a 7K lb car hauler (with 2 3500# axles)? The salesman I am dealing with tells me I need a minimum of a 10K lb equip trailer. Any thoughts

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just went over the scales at the salvage yard the other day and I was at 68??lbs, I believe? Thats with a soft top, no rear seat, 302, 1 tons, and 37's with about 200lbs of junk. Hope that helps. I tossed the recipet with the weight info though.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I think an equipment would be better suited but I have a 20ft. all steel, tilt, 7k trailer that I pull my Bronco's around with. It pulls nice and is within the weight limit(as yours would be) so I don't see a problem. I was going to buy an equip. trailer but I didn't like the huge ramps and the wood flooring. I'm very happy with my tilt trailer. If you can find a tilt....its the cats ass, especially with a winch. Its a one man show regardless if the car runs or not.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just went over the scales at the salvage yard the other day and I was at 68??lbs, I believe? Thats with a soft top, no rear seat, 302, 1 tons, and 37's with about 200lbs of junk. Hope that helps. I tossed the recipet with the weight info though.

:shocked
Thanks, I'd say I am close to that since we have very similar rigs , but man that seems crazy high!. I was hoping to stay under 6500#s but maybe thats wishful thinking

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think an equipment would be better suited but I have a 20ft. all steel, tilt, 7k trailer that I pull my Bronco's around with. It pulls nice and is within the weight limit(as yours would be) so I don't see a problem. I was going to buy an equip. trailer but I didn't like the huge ramps and the wood flooring. I'm very happy with my tilt trailer. If you can find a tilt....its the cats ass, especially with a winch. Its a one man show regardless if the car runs or not.
Yea, I think I'd be happier with the equip trailer, but I see dual 3500 car haulers for sell all the time around $1k used, but never see used equips, and a new one is gonna run me $2500-3000 :banghead
Maybe this is one of those "If u can't afford to do it right don't do it" decisions

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
7k is total trailer and vehicle, unless it says otherwise.

On average, a regular car trailer weighs close to 1 ton, so that leaves you 5k worth of junk you are allowed by law, and according to the manufactures recommended gvwr...

I would look for a heavier setup personally, that way you can have piece of mind, but thats just me. My bronco stock weighed in at 5500 lbs with me in it, so take some junk out you're looking 5k minimum for a stock truck...

Just some food for thought...

KC

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,252 Posts
My 20' steel deck weighs in at 1500lbs. it's rated at 9990lbs I would say you could probably get away with a 7K but it never hurts to have the safety factor in there. I think most of that weight rating is mostly by the axles and hub size and the brakes they use.

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised these things weigh in at that much. I was figuring 4-5K average. My MegaCab Ram weighs in at 7200 and change and is twice as big. Is this only because we're talking about modded trucks with heavier axles and tires/wheels or are the basic stock Broncos about the same?

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
My 7k lb 18" trailer weighs in at the scales at 2200 lbs empty.

It hauled my trucks fine but someday I'd like to upgrade the axles to 5k lb axles. From what I can from other trailers, the frame of my trailer is the same as the heavier rated trailers but the axles are what determines the weight rating.

·
Registered
472 Posts
:shocked
Thanks, I'd say I am close to that since we have very similar rigs , but man that seems crazy high!. I was hoping to stay under 6500#s but maybe thats wishful thinking
If we are talking 5500lbs stock and then 1 ton axles that weigh as we all know significantly more than stock and then 37's with steelies, then the extra 1000lbs isn't to unreasonable. I had no way to measure that number to my truck without the junk in the back. I think your safe with 6500lbs trailer load guestimation.

·
Mud God - R.I.P.
5,788 Posts
My 87 with 460,C-6,205 1tons was 6060

My buds do this at least once a month
about 300mi round trips
It is MAXED out but have had no problems for 2 years

·
Registered
472 Posts
Dang. If that truck weighs that much, then the scale I was on has to be callibrated wrong. That truck has to weigh more than mine. I forgot about the heavy ass "Hefty" bumpers I have but still that 460/1ton/huge tire setup should be heavier than our Bronco's???

·
Mud God - R.I.P.
5,788 Posts
Sorry not sure what the truck on the trailer weights.
My 87 bronco weighted 6060 when on 1 tons
I'm sure its weights more it has a 351m,C-6,2-205s and 2 1/2 ton axles

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Damn, I felt bad pulling my trucks around with my F150 super crew. That Nissan must have a it's shorts full suspension-wise with that load. I use a trailer tha tis rated for 13,000 gvw with a 7,000lb load rating. This thing is heavy and is a tilt/dovetail, but I didn't think that it weighed 6,000lbs. never scaled it though. Just remember to take your time and get it loaded right. I made the mistake of loading a Bronco with a plow backwards because the 12.5" tires and the plow wouldn't go over the fenders. There is not a more helpless feeling going down a 3/4 mile long hill with a 45+ degree slope and having your trailer want to pass you up. Still makes me shake and I hauled a Bronco from West of Denver at 10,000 feet with no trailer brakes.
Swamp

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
a 10k trailer is not much more than a 7k trailer. don't be cheap.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I weighed my pickup last year which is 5.8/zf/1356/d60/10.25 with 38's on steel wheels and it weighed 52?? with me in it. I haul it on a 7500lb car-hauler and have never had any trouble. I inspect the bearings every year for wear because I know i'm loading it up to near it's maximum and every year all is well. My trailer is a 16' car-hauler with a beaver tail. I would reccomend it to anyone

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
mine weighs 5400 lbs with no top and some tools, and 1/2 tank of gas in the back. pretty sweet how light it is for 1 tons on 40s no?

i've towed it on some pretty light trailers, and trailers with under sized axles too, and it did fine. if i were to buy a trailer...o wait, towing your rig makes you a pansy :goodfinge

dont be cheap, just get one with 8 lug axles, everything else you have is now 8 lug too, no point in putting a heavy rig on a light trailer.

·
Need a Bumper?
4,769 Posts
Dang. If that truck weighs that much, then the scale I was on has to be callibrated wrong. That truck has to weigh more than mine. I forgot about the heavy ass "Hefty" bumpers I have but still that 460/1ton/huge tire setup should be heavier than our Bronco's???
:histerica I weighed in at 7200 on the scale the other day. I was loaded full of the normal trail gear etc. and a full size spare, tools and a full tank of gas + 5 gallons. Everything I have when hauling it to the trail. I haul mine on a 7500lb trailer but it scares the hell outta me. Gonna go BIG soon.....15k+ rated gooseneck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts