Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread will be my pre-sas thread, ill try to document all the prep work that i will do to the axles, gathering parts and such, my actual swap will be done this summer with any luck.

Ive been reading through the sas threads here for a while now, but i havent come across a single person that has documented a superduty sas . So I plan to writeup my swap:thumbup

I will be using axles out of an 03 F350, 60 and 10.5, which i purchased for $1000. The already have 513 yukons, warn hubs, crossover steering knuckle, fancy aluminum diff covers:toothless, limited slip rear, new ball joints, and fairly new brakes.

With that said, i got started tonight preping the axles for a good couple coat of por-15 or similar. I drained the fluid in both the axles. I got started on the 60 first, plulled the brakes off, and most of the outer stuff, except the knuckles, used a drill and grinder with wire wheels to remove the paint and rust. And thats where I stopped tonight.

Also, I just wanted to add that this is being done on the budget of a college kid, so please be patient, and dont be afraid to give me some advice:thumbup

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
nice work. keep the pics comming...

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Looking good! Anxious to see this happen as my DD is an 03 SD and I see SD axles all the time at decent prices. Lemme know if you need anything measured or pics of my F350 so you can see how the factory mounted things on that truck. GOOD LUCK!

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
I think you have not seen documented superduty SAS builds since most people are told to avoid them. From your pics the 60 is the unitized bearing setup? Beyond that most would prefer to get their hands on a kingpin 60 over one with BJ's. lastly that would have the metric bolt pattern?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Metric pattern dosent bother me, as most used aftermarket wheels on craigslist are for superdutys
I was gonna say the same thing. So are there any other problems with these axles (as far as swapping into a Bronco) other than the unit bearings?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
well from the pictures you can see that there is no drivers side tube. just knuckle and pumpkin. metric wheels, unit bearings, but it's still a 35/30 spline with a big ring gear.

i really want to see what you do with this axle. i think they can but easily used. just need someone for the masses to follow.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
i also have a match set from a 99 superduty. the ring gear bearing is prone to fail on dana 50's. are you sure you have a d60? d60's were from what i read werent available for superduty's until 2004.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i also have a match set from a 99 superduty. the ring gear bearing is prone to fail on dana 50's. are you sure you have a d60? d60's were from what i read werent available for superduty's until 2004.
Man I dunno but I beat the hell out of my 2000 F-350 and never had a problem with either axle. Had just over 200k when I sold it. Guess I just figured they would be even more reliable under a Bronco...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any updates here? I'm considering doing the same thing...
sorry, no updates...

I hate to dissappoint, but I have gotten rid of my bronco :cry

I need to get my lightning fixed after the hit and run, so im saving up cash...

The axles are in the for sale section if anyone is interested, also my zf

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm using a 99 D60(out of F450). I got a D50 housing cheap for parts. I used the 50's tubes to retube the 60. I just sleeved the short side axle tube. I made the tube length the same as a 79 D60. I didnt take any pictures of the work being done. I can get after word pictures(if wanted). It really wasnt hard at all. The newer 60 housings are wider and have thicker,longer ribing.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm using a 99 D60(out of F450). I got a D50 housing cheap for parts. I used the 50's tubes to retube the 60. I just sleeved the short side axle tube. I made the tube length the same as a 79 D60. I didnt take any pictures of the work being done. I can get after word pictures(if wanted). It really wasnt hard at all. The newer 60 housings are wider and have thicker,longer ribing.
Definitely! Pics would be awesome :beer

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Looks like that already has a hug conversion kit on it. Nice start for a project

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you really want some new pics.... Like I said, my bronco is gone and IDK what im gonna do with these... But they sure do look perdy

Please note... rims do nothing for offroad ability... as for increasing my "baller" status, thats another story:rofl:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts