Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have a 93 with a 5.8 E4OD Just replaced the tranny and was getting a hard shift from 1st to 2nd and my speedo was broke so i fixed the speedo and now shift smooth as silk, but now it seems to maybe lack a little power in first and when it gets to 3rd gear she starts to rmp jump from like 1700 up to 2500 back and forth then if i punch it, she has a little hiccup then takes off. Already replaced the vss also with a ford factory one ans did a koeo test and came up with code 111. Any help is great thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Torque convertors can provide torque multiplication in the area of 2.1 - 3.1. This occurs at lower speeds generally below 40 mph lower speeds benefit more. This happens because of the stator in the convertor. The stator is locked at lower speeds but unlocked at higher speeds.

The stator is attached to a mechanical one way clutch inside the convertor. If the one way clutch malfunctions it can be always locked or never locked.

If it never locks little multiplication will take place. If this occurs the vehicle low speed takeoff will be poor.

If it never unlocks high speed will suffer.

This is not the same as a lockup convertor clutch. Lockup clutch usually engages at cruise speeds. This lockup causes increased convertor efficiency. Increased efficiency means better MPG.

Stator issues feel a lot like a blocked catalytic convertor. However high speed operation may be fine dependent on the failure type.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Torque convertors can provide torque multiplication in the area of 2.1 - 3.1. This occurs at lower speeds generally below 40 mph lower speeds benefit more. This happens because of the stator in the convertor. The stator is locked at lower speeds but unlocked at higher speeds.

The stator is attached to a mechanical one way clutch inside the convertor. If the one way clutch malfunctions it can be always locked or never locked.

If it never locks little multiplication will take place. If this occurs the vehicle low speed takeoff will be poor.

If it never unlocks high speed will suffer.

This is not the same as a lockup convertor clutch. Lockup clutch usually engages at cruise speeds. This lockup causes increased convertor efficiency. Increased efficiency means better MPG.

Stator issues feel a lot like a blocked catalytic convertor. However high speed operation may be fine dependent on the failure type.
Sorry for such the late response I was weeding through all my other possible causes before I got to this one but it now seems like the only one that makes sense. Is there any way to test the torque converter while it's still in the truck? I don't want to pull the transmission again unless I know for sure.

·
Super Moderator
26,051 Posts
P,
Try the Self Test for KOER because a test of the EEC system will be conducted. The sensors are checked under actual operating conditions and at normal operating temperatures. The actuators are exercised and checked for expected results
Ensure engine is @ normal operating temp.

Torque Converter Shudder; "...If the shudder occurs a) during the 3-4 or 4-3 shift at HEAVY throttle, or b) at 40mph in 2, OD OFF, and OD, or c) at the same RPM in every gear, or d) coasting, cruising, or in R, or e) during extended light braking, then it is NOT TC clutch shudder; The following is a list of common vehicle concerns that have been misdiagnosed as torque converter clutch shudder. For diagnosis of the following items, refer to the appropriate sections of the workshop manual and the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis manual (PCED). Spark plugs - check for cracks, high resistance or broken insulators. Plug wires. Fuel injector - filter may be plugged. Fuel contamination - engine runs poorly. EGR valve - valve may let in too much exhaust gas and cause engine to run lean. Vacuum leak - engine will not get correct air/fuel mixture. MAP/MAF sensor - improper air/fuel mixture. HO2S sensor - too rich/lean air/fuel mixture. Fuel pressure - may be too low. Engine mounts -loose/damaged mounts can cause vibration concerns. Axle joints - check for vibration..."
Source: by Ford via Steve83

Torque Converter Cleaning, Diagnosis Procedure & Replacement Guidelines TSB 96-26-12 for 85-96
Source: by Ford via http://web.archive.org/web/20120530210809/http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/tsb/tsb/files/962612.pdf

This is 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual (Partial)
Same as 93 and most earlier years exc. for OBD II, 4WABS (93-96); ABS (87-92); Air Bag (94-96); 3 Screw Automatic Locking Hubs (Built from May 95 through 96) and a few other items
(still need time to go through all pages to confirm other differences)

See
Section 07-01A: Transmission, Automatic, E4OD
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING
Diagnosis by Symptom

fr example;
Torque Converter Clutch Operation Concerns
•No Apply

Cycling/Shudder/Chatter

and see Other Concerns
••Poor Vehicle Performance

Back to Section 07-01A for;
Special Testing Procedures:
Line Pressure Test
Stall Speed Test
Air Pressure Tests
Shift Linkage Check

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P,
Try the Self Test for KOER because a test of the EEC system will be conducted. The sensors are checked under actual operating conditions and at normal operating temperatures. The actuators are exercised and checked for expected results
Ensure engine is @ normal operating temp.

Torque Converter Shudder; "...If the shudder occurs a) during the 3-4 or 4-3 shift at HEAVY throttle, or b) at 40mph in 2, OD OFF, and OD, or c) at the same RPM in every gear, or d) coasting, cruising, or in R, or e) during extended light braking, then it is NOT TC clutch shudder; The following is a list of common vehicle concerns that have been misdiagnosed as torque converter clutch shudder. For diagnosis of the following items, refer to the appropriate sections of the workshop manual and the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis manual (PCED). Spark plugs - check for cracks, high resistance or broken insulators. Plug wires. Fuel injector - filter may be plugged. Fuel contamination - engine runs poorly. EGR valve - valve may let in too much exhaust gas and cause engine to run lean. Vacuum leak - engine will not get correct air/fuel mixture. MAP/MAF sensor - improper air/fuel mixture. HO2S sensor - too rich/lean air/fuel mixture. Fuel pressure - may be too low. Engine mounts -loose/damaged mounts can cause vibration concerns. Axle joints - check for vibration..."
Source: by Ford via Steve83

Torque Converter Cleaning, Diagnosis Procedure & Replacement Guidelines TSB 96-26-12 for 85-96
Source: by Ford via http://web.archive.org/web/20120530210809/http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/tsb/tsb/files/962612.pdf

This is 1996 Bronco/F-Series Workshop Manual (Partial)
Same as 93 and most earlier years exc. for OBD II, 4WABS (93-96); ABS (87-92); Air Bag (94-96); 3 Screw Automatic Locking Hubs (Built from May 95 through 96) and a few other items
(still need time to go through all pages to confirm other differences)

See
Section 07-01A: Transmission, Automatic, E4OD
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING
Diagnosis by Symptom

fr example;
Torque Converter Clutch Operation Concerns
•No Apply

Cycling/Shudder/Chatter

and see Other Concerns
••Poor Vehicle Performance

Back to Section 07-01A for;
Special Testing Procedures:
Line Pressure Test
Stall Speed Test
Air Pressure Tests
Shift Linkage Check
The easiest way to describe it is. In the mornings I go to work and for the first 5 or so min while it's cold the thing runs great, once it warms up to operating temp when it shifts into 3rd it has the initial rpm drop like normal as it shifts into 3rd but then has another almost immediate 3-400rpm drop then sorta chugs a little then shifts into od and when I get up to 55-66 it starts to shake pretty bad. Also if held at or around 35-40mph it surges very noticeably.

Then I was helping a stuck friend on the beach and as soon as my strap had tension I had no power. I could not even break loose the tires in sand. And she struggled pretty bad to climb simple dunes. I know I know I shouldn't be driving it but It was a friend in need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts