Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 351 M engine which is a 1981

Its has no low end power... i can floor it at a red light when it turns green and a granny gets going faster then me... I read some where it has 136 Horse Power... It was has stock gearing and 33's

It has trouble excelerating fast... its embarassing on the highway...

I was thinking of this tune up

Edelbrock 650 Carb
Edelbrock Performer Manifold
Edlebrock 14 x 4 Air Cleaner
K and N Filter
MSD Dristibuter Pro Billet
MSD 8.5mm Wires
NGK Iridium IX Plugs
Dynomax Headers
True Dual 3 inch exhaust with 40's

Will it give it more pep? Few months from now i will be putting in a new longblock.

Thanks
Mike

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
What size tires, and what rear end gearing do you have? If the tires are too big for the gearing you will have a power dog.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it has 33's and stock gearing... Friend has a stock chev with a 6 inch lift and 35s with stock geering and goes better then mine

·
Registered
102 Posts
If its lacking power and you are willing to spend the money on an intake, carb, etc., why not just swap in a 429 or a 460?:rockon

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
:stupid 460!!!

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,565 Posts
Midland mods

Whoa there! Are you ready to drop lots o' lettuce, only to find out that
these mods aren't enough to do what you want it to do?:doh0715: Tire size,
rear end gearing and actual engine output are the biggest items that determine your off-the-line performance, along with vehicle weight. I'd make
sure the engine is in decent physical condition with a hot compression test;
MY spec is no more than TEN percent difference from lowest to highest pressure and in the range of 140 to 160 PSI. If not, start with repairs or an
overhaul with cam/rockers. Then, you can start with the four bbl. and intake, followed by exhaust!:rockon Other mods such as ignition, porting, compression raising and others should be saved for true racing and trail/rock fun!:thumbup Suspension and other drivetrain mods will be determined by your use. Good luck!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well as only being 16 i don't have the knowledge to drop in a 429 or 460. I did a compression test when i first got it. It still has a great deal of compression. I was going to regear it when i got new tires aka 35's what kind of diff should i buy ? A Locker, Trutrac? whats the best for the money.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
199 Posts
I ve had 2 79 broncs and 2 78s all with the 351m. I spent a lot of money trying to make power with those turds and it was mostly a complete waste of time. Swaping in a 460 isnt any more difficult than installing the 351 and the power gain is well worth it. L&L Products makes the swap really easy. They even have brackets so you can use all the 351 accessories like power steering pump and alt. The kit consists of all the brackets, the motor mounts, and an 11 quart oil pan. If you have a C6 trans the motor bolts right up since the 351m, 400, 429, and 460 all share the same bolt pattern. Pick up a 460 from the junk yard, freshen it up a little, do the swap, and smoke your friends Bronco. Like they say, there's no replacement for displacement. A completely stock 460 is going to make more torque than the 351m, no matter how much money you dump into it:thumbup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts