Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
huh
1995 Bronco, Slightly Modified
7,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been thinking of joining a gym because i got fat again. I cant seem to stay motivated enough to do what i was doing before.. My buddy says he will join with me so we can push each other to go.. Ive heard good and bad things about Ballys and 24hour fitness. Are any of you members of these gyms? Anything i should look out for when i go sign up? How much is too much to be paying? The last gym type place i was in was the YMCA gym back when i was in high school. It wasnt that big so i always felt like everyone was staring at me and that caused me to stop going. Maybe i can get over that as well..

I need to get in decent shape as i will be the Best Man at my friend Carl's (MORS2369 on FSB) wedding in June...

Any info is appreciated..

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Any gym is better then no gym. Trust me, nobody is really looking at you. Well, maybe if there are a couple gay guys running around but otherwise everybody else is focusing on their work outs and crap.

Preferrably go to one with physical trainers on staff so that they can help you to get the most out of your workout. I could sit here and break down my workout that I do, why I do it, and my science/theory behind it but it doesn't mean squat because what works for me isn't garenteed to work for you, you know?

If you want to get in shape, you *do* need to get started now. You need to do a weight program to build muscles up to burn more fat, and you need to get onto a cardio program of some kind to burn calories. You'll see results after a couple weeks if not sooner, and from there you SHOULD be hooked. Especially when the ladies come up and start grabbing your arms.

It doesn't matter WHERE you start out. Hell, I'm not small by any means but compared to alot of guys my curl and bench routines are "mediocre" at best. Ken probably makes me look like a shrimp!

·
huh
1995 Bronco, Slightly Modified
7,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info.. i know about the getting hooked part.. i was hooked enough to loose over 100lbs before. Stress kicked in and i went back to my old bad habits..

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Hahaha!

I've learned its something you can't stop doing. I'd be freakin gigantic if I had never stopped after highschool for a year or so.

·
Traveling FSB'er
1,099 Posts
I have my family set up at 24 hour fitness....... No problems there. My daughter uses it the most and I can't seem to get my wife to go with me.

Oh well.........Very fat here already!! Need to go:twak

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
It wasn't so much a a priority to be lifting while I was dating, but when I sensed the breakup coming she remarked that I was going to the gym alot more. O_O My bad...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Raf.

I have always one of the fat guys in the gym. I used to work out with alot of the guys in really good shape. wanna know what they think if the fat guys. "well at least his ass is in here instead of infront of the tv"

So dude go do it. if your friend is gonna joing up with ya it does work out better. cause its sooo easy to put it off if your doing it by yourself but if you and ur buddy do it together u kinda feel obligated to meet him there ..

Make any sense?

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
just buy a weight set, and run at home around the block. Then when you feel more comfortable go to the gym. Weights are a good way to push yourself. I love em . They are like my all time favorite hobby next to the bronc.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I got free weights at home, just need to spend more time with them.

Also, I suggest finding a JiuJitsu (Brazilian) school... May cost a bit, but you will learn to put bad mojo on someone and get GREAT exercise at the same time!

After our Chapter 13 goes though, I hope we will have enough left over I can go back to school! That was some of the best fun Ive had in any martial art's class!!

·
ASM
2,174 Posts
Bronkzilla said:
It wasnt that big so i always felt like everyone was staring at me and that caused me to stop going.
Do you really care that much about what people, who don't even know you, think about you?
When I go I just put my headphones on, pump some Pantera, Hatebreed, etc., and get my shit done. Life is too short to be worried about what people who don't know you think about you.

I've seen some people at the gym that are way over 350, and the only thought that comes to my head is.... At least they are doing something!

Once you get hooked, again, I'm sure you will start feeling better about yourself. I've been hooked for years, which means I go everyday, not giving a damn about the 28 year old that thinks he is cool because he can leg press 400 pounds as I am squating 315

So to the point to my longwinded, boring post...... Just go man, you will start feeling much better about yourself.

In which gym to go to: check them both out (most gyms give free tours) and see which one fits your goals. Good Luck and Stay Strong

P.S. did that pic remind anyone of Greg Valentino?

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
Originally Posted by BronkzillaIt wasnt that big so i always felt like everyone was staring at me and that caused me to stop going.
remember raf it aint the quantity of the weight you push it is the quality. for instance i can bench 400 easy. Do i? nope, Why? Cause i would rather get a good 8-10 controlled reps with 355-365 and do that for 4 or 5 sets. Get back into the gym and dont look back.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a life time membership at 24 hour... It was a bundle.
I went everynight for a month or so but I slipped away last year because of school.
Now that I have the Fire Academy comming up... ugghh it's hard to get back into it !

I was hardcore in gyms during High school but now I'm up to about 260(chubby) @ 6'1"

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I don't know if this would be an option, but for $800 you can get a really nice "all in one" workout station. Thats for one that uses real weight stacks and not those rubber bands too.
I prefer to do that at home and not in the gym. Too many weird people in the gym

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
didn't you buy one of those home gyms Raf?

I once had a membership to a gym, I was going with a buddy. it was supposed to be he pushed me, I pushed him. he stopped going, I kept pushing him and he still would not go. I got tired and stopped going.

but we just picked up a tread mill. it's going right in front of TV so we are doing something rather than sitting on the arse.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
jopes said:
but we just picked up a tread mill. it's going right in front of TV so we are doing something rather than sitting on the arse.
ha:histerica

I got one of those too. Havn't ever used it except when I turned it on for the first time to see if it worked. Its a professional gym model too and cost like $4000 (I didn't pay for it....no way I would have, it was given to me brand new). If I'm going to do some walking/running I'll just go outside and run down to the road and back. At least that way I'm doing something, not running in place getting no where.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Raf if you're worried about being fat just run your loppy ass around the neighborhood. Cut the fat down and then worry about lifting weights. When you take care of the fat problem get a pass to 24 hour and we'll set you up with a good workout routine.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm a member of the YMCA and for $33 a month I have the use of many things that aren't offered at a typical gym. Not only are the weights, cardio machines, and nautilus equipment brand new and state of the art, but I can switch up my cardio from swimming to racquetball to basketball to the indoor track to cycling classes (kind of gay and I haven't gotten the nerve to do that one just yet although everyone says it will wear you out). So, for me, a gym with just weights and a treadmill would be boring. But, whatever, you do, get a partner because it's tough to stay motivated alone.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
remember raf it aint the quantity of the weight you push it is the quality. for instance i can bench 400 easy. Do i? nope, Why? Cause i would rather get a good 8-10 controlled reps with 355-365 and do that for 4 or 5 sets. Get back into the gym and dont look back.
damn my 250 reps sounds weak

G

·
Raf if you're worried about being fat just run your loppy ass around the neighborhood.
Agreed.

Dont piss away any money on a gym. Go to the local park, run/walk around the perimeter every night. Then shoot some hoops while your there with your buddy.

Stop eating shitfood. If you skip breakfast you will never lose weight.:thumbup

1 - 20 of 47 Posts