Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright, I have a bolt that i need to remove from a vehicle that is easily 1/4 mile from any source of power. It's a 7/16 grade 8 bolt which is stripped so it won't loosen OR tighten :banghead

Anyway, it's a flanged nut so by experience a nut splitter would prove difficult to use (i've never succeeded in splitting a flanged nut).

So, personal experiences? Did it eat the teeth off of the saw? How long did it take? Anyone with a cordless sawzall they want to lend me? ;)

Justin

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3 pd sledge and a cold chisel would get it.
Tried, not enough swinging room :cry

it's on a TTB lift pivot bracket, the one on the drivers side that holds the passengers axle beam. One of the two bolts that keeps it from twisting is the one that's toast. Oil pan on the motor is in the way of getting a good swing.

Justin

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
you can rent a genorator pretty cheap

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
....or one of those power inverters that attach to car batteries?
Thats what I was thinkin. You could probly run some toolage off of one of those if it was rated high enough. Maybe a sawzall or possibly a grinder?? Hell, even a jigsaw with a metal blade would be better than a hacksaw... (I have cut bolts with hacksaws before but never a grade 8, I am sure it could be done with a few blades and some time).

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
Oxy/acetalyne torch? or isn't it possible to use, like to much risk of damage to something?

KC

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No torch, already asked. It's in a salvage yard so options are limited. I asked about getting one of the yard workers to cut the one bolt, but if you ask for a piece to be pulled it's an extra $20 and you go to the bottom of the list which means it's at least 5 days. . .

Justin

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try one of these?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952166000P?mv=rr

If not then rent a CO2 tank, a regulator and get a air hammer. That should take off the head in due time.
Both hexes are still in perfect shape, it's just the threads themselves are stripped out. I can spin the nut all day long and it won't go anywhere.

Cheap cordless drill + cutoff wheel + adapter to drill chuck + hammer = severed bolt in 5 minutes with minimal arm soreness.
But this, this I think might just be the ticket. Just need to get a cutoff wheel adapter and see how it goes.

If I can get this bracket off, I'm getting a complete 6" lift for $48+tax. $7 per drop bracket and $10 per coil. Guy threw in the drop pitman arm just to be nice :thumbup

Justin

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
If I can get this bracket off, I'm getting a complete 6" lift for $48+tax. $7 per drop bracket and $10 per coil. Guy threw in the drop pitman arm just to be nice :thumbup

Justin
Hell, for that price I'd sit there and take a hacksaw at it for 20 hours.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hell, for that price I'd sit there and take a hacksaw at it for 20 hours.
I sat there for 20 minutes and made it just under 1/8 of an inch, so I figure it would take me roughly two hours if my arm didn't get tired and if i didn't have to change blades :histerica

Justin

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
*90xlt,351w,e4od,1356m*79,400,C6,205,19donors*73,400,np435,d20j twin
9,811 Posts
They make a carbide blade (Rod saw, Lenox) for a hacksaw or a sawzall that works pretty good on hardened metal. I used to use them for hardened shackles on padlocks left on lockers after school was out (I was a coach, not a crook :toothless). The Dewalt cordless angle grinder that I eventually got works much quicker, but until then, the rod saw in a hacksaw frame did the trick.

·
I see Broncos
6,047 Posts
Something else you may want to try is wedging a screwdriver between the bracket and X-member then try to unscrew the bolt. Has worked for me in the past. All you gotta do is just get the threads to bite.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
for that price, buy a cordless sawzall, and keep it, you'll use it alot

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Something else you may want to try is wedging a screwdriver between the bracket and X-member then try to unscrew the bolt. Has worked for me in the past. All you gotta do is just get the threads to bite.
Tried that, also tried driving the bolt back into the nut. It will kinda catch, but after about half a turn it'll pop back off.

Saturday is the next time I'll be able to get out there, I'm going to do the drill and cutoff wheel. If it doesn't work, there's a home depot about 2 blocks away that i can grab a cordless sawzall at.

Justin

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.