Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my bronco since 99, and I want to make it great. It's sat off and on for a large part of that time. I don't have a clue how to go offroading, though i love the idea of it. The few times I've tried I've gotten stuck pretty bad.

I'm looking for wrenching advice, since my mechanic buddy is a chevy guy, and to find 4x4 peoples in the area (NW GA) to hang out with and pull me out, or people I can pull out of the muck.

I heard or saw posted somewhere that the difference between a Ford and a Chevy was that the Ford mechanic tightened up all his bolts to the specific torque rating, and the Chevy guy just got it tight enough. Is that why my truck hates me? Because we usually just use German torque? "Gooten-tight"?

:itsatrap

·
Registered
9,834 Posts
I've had my bronco since 99, and I want to make it great. It's sat off and on for a large part of that time. I don't have a clue how to go offroading, though i love the idea of it. The few times I've tried I've gotten stuck pretty bad.

I'm looking for wrenching advice, since my mechanic buddy is a chevy guy, and to find 4x4 peoples in the area (NW GA) to hang out with and pull me out, or people I can pull out of the muck.

I heard or saw posted somewhere that the difference between a Ford and a Chevy was that the Ford mechanic tightened up all his bolts to the specific torque rating, and the Chevy guy just got it tight enough. Is that why my truck hates me? Because we usually just use German torque? "Gooten-tight"?

:itsatrap
IDK. Sounds like just another stupid saying to me. There's plenty of idiots working on all different makes so saying one makes owner is better than another is stupid.
Now as far as torque, anything critical or possessing a gasket I use a torque wrench.

lug nuts, water pump, timing cover, internal engine parts, rotating assemblies, steering/suspension components- torque wrench.

dash bolts, accessories, anything I can't get to with a torque wrench- do it by feel. Don't ever just crank down on a bolt willy nilly. A 10 mm bracket bolt isn't the same as an 18mm shock bolt.

It's really a judgement call, some people never torque anything, others torque everything. I find it better to err on the side of caution and use a torque wrench when I find it necessary.
That being said, unless your messing with the rod or main bearing caps the chances of you having major issues due to not using a torque wrench are pretty slim in my experience. Unless your just cranking the hell out of everything and breaking stuff.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Welcome

1 - 3 of 3 Posts