Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this game (The Collector's edition not the GOTY edition, which one is better? They said they had the same stuff on the boxes, but the Collector's edition was cheaper :shrug ) When I was trying to install it, it said something about "subscribing" to something called Steam, which I gather is an update service or mod center or the like.

The word subscription scares me. I don't want to end up paying a monthly, yearly, or really any fee beyond the purchase price of the game just to play the single player mode . . .

Anyone have this game or another that uses this Steam thingy? I'd like to know a few things ( the game didn't come with a manual, just a really helpful T-Shirt :banghead ) .

1. Is Steam free? Any hidden costs?
2. I've read about DVD and CD versions of the game, is there any difference beyond the number of disks?
3. Is the orginal Half-Life included (it says it is, but . . . ) or do I have to download it?

Thanks, John :beer

·
Registered
525 Posts
ok here is the story with HL2 you nees to subscribe it is free and after you subscribe you will have to download the remaining program info before you can play the game it is a giant pain in the but and i really hope you dont have dial up. i have Cable and it took like 4 to 5 hours to download and this was before all the patches and updates so it is likely to take a bit longer now but once it is finished the game is awsome only difference i have found in the DVD or CD version is number of disks and yes you will have to down load HL1 no biggie it should download at the same time along with all the other stuff your downloading for the game.

hope that helps and enjoy the game

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I have dial-up now, but high-speed is coming soon (Thank God) :chili: Guess I can wait :toothless

. . . . . .Defibrillator Kills :histerica :histerica :histerica

EDIT: 88Bronco, your Bronc is almost identical to mine except for the eyebrow visor thing. I like it :beer

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Yea you need steam. that and if you want any other games asides CSS you will have to purchase them

I know the collectors edition comes with and your entitled to

HL2
CSS (Counter-Strike Source
HL Orginial - Inc ANY GAMES FOR HL
idk about any of there current games like dods , darwinia, rag doll kung fu

some others you may have to purchase for $20.00 off of steam

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, WTF?!?!

I just got high-speed internet :chili: and got to "install" HL2. At least I think I did . . .

The icons and Start menu things are there, but when I click them it shows the little thinking hourglass thing, then nothing happens. Everything but the Valve stuff works fine. I think it's because I don't have a Steam account, but I can't make the damn thing because the only time anything Steam related will actually open is when the computer first starts up. I can't make an account though because it always says that it can't make the account in offline mode.

The basic problem is that none of the shortcuts or any kind of "door" to the Steam programs will even open, whats wrong?

I know that was kinda inchorenent, but hang with me guys :beer .

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
okay

firewall???? if you have one you need to edit it to allow steam full access out and in,

That would be the reason of which you cant get out or in with steam. once you do that in theory it should work

If it dont head over to steampowered.com they may be a bit helpfull. they have a nice F&Q section for connection issues & beginners with steam.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've never played games over the internet before, no experience with modifiying my firewall :brownbag

BREAKTHROUGH! I just found the controlls for enabling programs. Hmm seems as though I have over 125 internet enabled programs and it's only 63% done . . .

Thanks for the help man :beer

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Either go there or go to forums.g4tv.com and go to the Call For Help forums, that's where I got all my knowledge from.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fawking firewall.

The sucker decided to stop responding when I tried to add Steam to the allowed list . . . :banghead Won't end either. I get to restart for the fourth time tonight :banghead

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
yea.

thats why i have a hardware firewall (server routing using NAT) easier for me to manage. and NAT only allows connections in ONLY if the internal net has requested it.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still won't work, fawk it for tonight. None of the links will work, but I made progress in that I actually got Steam to run. Too bad it never opened any kind of window. It would just tell me that I couldn't run the app because it was already running. I'm begining to hate Valve. I havn't even been prompted to enter my CD Key. :banghead

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
Heres how it works.

First, steam is really great, imo.

www.steampowered.com

Download steam for free, create a steam account. This account is now tied into ALL OF YOUR STEAM GAMES, even future games you purchase.

Now that you have a steam account, log in using the steam icon that should be on your desktop or start menu. Once you log in you should see three tabs in the main window. Store, games, and tools. Under the games tab, you should see a list of games available thru steam.

Since you bought your game in-store, you have a CD key. Click the store tab inside steam, and on the bottom left hand corner click "activate a product on steam." This will allow you to enter your CD key, and all the games that are associated with your cd key should start to show up under your "my games" tab. (There is also an arrow at the top right to allow you to compact the steam window, a little easier to read.) Click the games in which you want to install, and that is about it.

The beauty of steam is that you can purchase games withotu going to the store, and the most important feature, updating. If a game has a bug, steam easily distributes the update to everyone, including you, automaticaly. This allows them to update their game more often. (read: a LOT more often). Finally, with steam, you don't have to worry about carrying CD's with you anywhere, losing them, keeping track of cd keys, etc. All you need is your steam log in.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
F.E.A.R. was a kick ass game. i like it,

But steam can get annoying in there updates. which happens about once a week at least. but it is an easy way to keep track of your updates cause its done for you automaticly!!!!

steam takes some getting used to if your new to it.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I deleted the game and reinstalled it (this is the second time I've done this). Steam is now supposedly updating, but it hasn't registered any progress (I have high speed) at all. It's been sitting for a while. The same screen popped up earlier, but after it hit 26% it just disappeared. The same thing happened the last time I reinstalled it.

Whenever I click on the Steam icon, it jsut tells me that I can only run one copy of Steam at a time. I havn't gotten any screen beyond the little update one.

I've been reading the FAQs (I finally had one that details a problem similar to mine) and maybe my version of Steam is too old to update - this was, according to the FAQ, something that could cause my problem. I'm thinking about nuking the Steam that came with my HL2 copy and getting it off of Valve's site like Bob said. After all, whats the worst that can happen? :toothless

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No dice on downloading Steam, just gives me the same "you can only run one copy" noise. Gonna purge any and every thing Valve from the computer and try again.

·
Registered
13,885 Posts
F.E.A.R. is a kick ass game thats what ive been splitting my WoW time with.

When I instaled HL2 i didnt have any of this trouble. Didnt take 5-6 hours downloading either. didnt download crap. Guess cause i bought it shortly after it came out though. I didnt get to play more then 5 minutes though since i fried that processor and never reinstalled it.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Could I have a bum disk? Well, it's highly unlikely, the downloaded Steam doesn't work either . . .

Just noticed that I'm having the same "think about it, then do nothing" problem with a couple of other BS icons on my desktop. It's also hanging when I try to shut down :banghead . I think I might have a problem with it runing programs without actually displaying anything. Does that even happen?

It's swarming. :banghead

1 - 20 of 22 Posts