Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1986 bronco, automatic, 302

so, both calipers are hanging. the calipers and rubber lines are all new, replaced by the PO, who owns a repair shop.

I do plan on pulling the calipers later today, checking slides, pistons, etc at the caliper to see that they are still good.

Provided they are, I've already checked the brake pedal to make sure that it is coming back up all the way and not hanging up itself and keeping brakes applied, all good.

So, that doesn't leave much. I do not know if he only bled the system when he replaced the calipers, or flushed it, so I may start there, other than that I guess I am left with the brake booster or master cylinder? Is there any way to test besides just parts swapping?

anything else I can check before I just start swapping parts?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is the even the right caliper? Piston looks like it extends past the pads.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I pulled the caliper off, pumped the brake to extend it a tad, put a c-clamp on to push it in, no go. Wouldn’t budge.

I broke the connection at the hard to flex line till I was getting droplets. No go on the c-clamp, wouldn’t budge.

broke the line at the caliper. BAM! Spurted brake fluid and I could push the piston in with the clamp.

So it’s a busted flex hose, right?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Ok, I pulled the caliper off, pumped the brake to extend it a tad, put a c-clamp on to push it in, no go. Wouldn’t budge.

I broke the connection at the hard to flex line till I was getting droplets. No go on the c-clamp, wouldn’t budge.

broke the line at the caliper. BAM! Spurted brake fluid and I could push the piston in with the clamp.

So it’s a busted flex hose, right?
Pic of the flex hose? I know when mine were not cooperating as in the wouldnt let the pressure out it was because they were old and needed swapping. As soon as I put the new flex lines it worked like a charm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pic of the flex hose? I know when mine were not cooperating as in the wouldnt let the pressure out it was because they were old and needed swapping. As soon as I put the new flex lines it worked like a charm

they’re fairly new, as are the calipers and pads. But the issue certainly seems between the caliper and hard line I think, no?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I recracked the fitting at the hard to flex, loosened it up more and it checked good.
the hardline to the diverter valve looks solid and unkinked. Guess I’ll crack it at the master now

·
Registered
719 Posts
So, I recracked the fitting at the hard to flex, loosened it up more and it checked good.
the hardline to the diverter valve looks solid and unkinked. Guess I’ll crack it at the master now
Is the master reservoir over filled?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the master reservoir over filled?

It’s possible? I haven’t touched it. When I broke the line at the master cylinder I can compress the caliper.

should Itake the top off the master and see if it’ll compress?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No go there.

caliper won’t compress with M.C. Open

·
Registered
719 Posts
It’s possible? I haven’t touched it. When I broke the line at the master cylinder I can compress the caliper.

should Itake the top off the master and see if it’ll compress?
I would, if theres too much fluid in there it wont allow more fluid to flow back in it, curious as to the reason theyre sticking because those flex lines are new and you said the hard lines arent crushed or kinked

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the small part is over filled but that is for the back drums. Also that fluid needs to be flushed out, have you tried bleeding the brakes good?

I’ll be doing a full bleed, but need to get it home first. It’s at my folks I went to this am.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So if you reconnect everything right and crack open the bleeder valve can you push the piston back in?

Yes. I can crack it open at the master cylinder and push it back in,

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bleed is good. I get good flow from it, can compress the piston easily

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
replaced master cylinder. bled full system. brake pedal is softer than I care for, but the brakes seem to be working great, and will lock the 11.5" wide mud tires up

·
Registered
719 Posts
replaced master cylinder. bled full system. brake pedal is softer than I care for, but the brakes seem to be working great, and will lock the 11.5" wide mud tires up
That's good, might need to adjust the pushrod a bit for your MC to firm up the pedal

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's good, might need to adjust the pushrod a bit for your MC to firm up the pedal

the rod coming out of the brake booster into the master cylinder? can I do that without having to fully remove the master cylinder so I don't have to rebleed it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts